• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Tjt92

Hi All,
I passed the Computer Tests/MMI back in April for WMT and have been awaiting a DMI date ever since. I have periodically contacted to see if there has been any movement and have been told that they're, "Waiting for the driver management team to confirm their availability." More recently have been told that the strike action has impacted availability. I was just wondering if there's a possibility of the rug being pulled out and never being called up to do the DMI? I suppose beyond that, given the current outlook on the railway, is there a likelihood of there being little need for more drivers and as a result, just languishing in the talent pool until it expires? I'm cracking on with work as most people advise but the uncertainty is chipping away at me a bit. Thanks in advance.
Sorry didn’t realise you had responded, I completed my assessments in July, most recent being computer and MMI in August, from completing them I have 7 days and was informed I passed. Within 2 days of pass notice was offered DMI which I completed today. Just awaiting response from that. However I applied for Clacton, got an email explaining due to planning error the role was no longer available and would I be interested in Depo driver, I responded saying yes and found out on my DMI today that I was actually being interviewed for Colchester Mainline driver. I think it’s dependent on the area which you applied for I know when I was speaking with family who already in driver role they are allocated numbers they can recruit but it seems all the cost cutting at the moment they have reduced the numbers significantly. I know for my DMI today there is only 1 role as mainline driver in Colchester and if successful training due to start in October. I was curious though because mentioned about a Pool? I completely forgot to ask how that worked, what the process would have been? Anyone able to shed any light?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luckyflames

I used the How2Become Train Driver Software package and a couple of their books to help me. Seemed to get me sifted nearly every time after that as well as feeling confident with the Psychometric Test when I attended. I had to do full suite of tests in one day and knew what to expect. It has a dvd with the Dots/Group Bourdon which really helped as well as a Coordination one for the joysticks test, which I know worries people. I found quite a few when I looked on eBay. The search function on here really helped me too, made so many notes to read through.
Is this a wind up ? Possibly the worst useless resources ever.

You must be on a commission ???

NorthernTech

Quite a rude reply.. It has tests of group Bourdon, flashing grey square, Atavt (pictures/scenes), joystick test, and another one I didn’t use. The book describes each test and has practice versions of each one. Some multiple choice, some like the directory test. So tell me, what part of that is not useful to practice? Cost me about £50 or so and I passed. I could take the book to work and do a bit of reading and practice here and there, and did the pc test stuff from the DVD’s in between family time at home. Each to their own I suppose. But I knew what I was expecting when I got to the test centre when I arrived.

I presume you are employed in the industry as a driver currently?

Last edited:

Simotrfc

Quite a rude reply.. It has tests of group Bourdon, flashing grey square, Atavt (pictures/scenes), joystick test, and another one I didn’t use. The book describes each test and has practice versions of each one. Some multiple choice, some like the directory test. So tell me, what part of that is not useful to practice? Cost me about £50 or so and I passed. I could take the book to work and do a bit of reading and practice here and there, and did the pc test stuff from the DVD’s in between family time at home. Each to their own I suppose. But I knew what I was expecting when I got to the test centre when I arrived.

I presume you are employed in the industry as a driver currently?
I always find it interesting the lengths people go to to get the job. Some will do the initial application not have a clue and never heard anything back. Some will spend all kinds of money to use the online stuff and others will solely rely on advice from here.

It would be great to know from people who got into talent pools what methods they used. I personally just read stuff on here, others on the course have never heard of this forum and got through just fine. Guess it’s all about giving yourself the best chance.

NorthernTech

I always find it interesting the lengths people go to to get the job. Some will do the initial application not have a clue and never heard anything back. Some will spend all kinds of money to use the online stuff and others will solely rely on advice from here.

It would be great to know from people who got into talent pools what methods they used. I personally just read stuff on here, others on the course have never heard of this forum and got through just fine. Guess it’s all about giving yourself the best chance.
I bought the stuff before I found the forum to be fair. The ‘Lengths people go’ I suppose depends on how much you want it and how much you want to dot the i’s and cross the t’s really. I found the forum invaluable once I found it, made loads of searches and a note book full of notes. Printed off dots tests and practiced regularly (but not too much). I did enough to clam the nerves and feel confident when I got there. Like I said, cost me about £50, small change in comparison to getting the job.

Some have paid £500 to sit the test privately so £50 was chicken feed. I will say, in hindsight, I may have not felt quite as confident but the stuff they send out does tell you what to expect, it’s just that you can’t practice the electronic stuff otherwise.

Tjt92

I didn’t no about this forum, I was sent the training pack by the TOC I applied for 10 days before my first assessment this was 7 months after applying for my role. Used the practice papers sent, completed my first assessment day (pencil and paper tests) passed, 2 weeks later invited to computerised tests and MMI, completed these using the testing materials sent. 10 days later informed I had been successful, 1 days later invited to DMI. Completed DMI Monday last week, Wednesday received a call to inform me I was being offered conditional offer pending medical, medical completed on the Thursday. Just awaiting drug and alcohol testing results. Provisional start date 17th October. I was absolutely shocked when I got the call offering me the position as I didn’t think I had done as well as I could in my DMI.

Simotrfc

I didn’t no about this forum, I was sent the training pack by the TOC I applied for 10 days before my first assessment this was 7 months after applying for my role. Used the practice papers sent, completed my first assessment day (pencil and paper tests) passed, 2 weeks later invited to computerised tests and MMI, completed these using the testing materials sent. 10 days later informed I had been successful, 1 days later invited to DMI. Completed DMI Monday last week, Wednesday received a call to inform me I was being offered conditional offer pending medical, medical completed on the Thursday. Just awaiting drug and alcohol testing results. Provisional start date 17th October. I was absolutely shocked when I got the call offering me the position as I didn’t think I had done as well as I could in my DMI.
Great stuff mate and well done. what depot are you? Last day of our course up at Chester tmw.

RyanC87

I didn't use any outsourced material. And to be honest I didn't find the pack all that useful from the toc. The kitchen pictures etc just seemed a waste of time.

I watched a few YouTube videos to get a feel of what being a train driver was like. Spent endless hours reading people's stories on here and then read the TFW specific thread.

I can't say the process is straight forward, but also not as difficult as I imagined. However I will say it is more demanding in a way than getting into the police.

I can't thank the people on here enough for the help. And private messages etc. Been brilliant.

Recently I have been doubting my decision after reading the new starters incidents thread. Put doubt in my mind that "Street to seat" are "accepted" into the ranks. Also as much as it didn't say, I feel terrified to make mistakes and being kicked from seat to street.

However lots of positives on here and I am eager to start. The trainer email was positive and excited to get going now

ComUtoR

Established Member
Recently I have been doubting my decision after reading the new starters incidents thread. Put doubt in my mind that "Street to seat" are "accepted" into the ranks. Also as much as it didn't say, I feel terrified to make mistakes and being kicked from seat to street.

As many of us post. The job isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are a lot of negatives and it can be very easy to lose the job. Being acutely aware of all.the ins and outs of the job is what makes us who we are. It really does take a certain kind of individual to live the lives we do.
I would say it's worth it in the end. I've been around almost 20yrs and I have never looked back. I always live by the mantra "take the rough, with the smooth". In any job there will be downsides but I genuinely think the railway comes out with more positives.

Stay focussed on each stage and you will be fine.

RyanC87

As many of us post. The job isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are a lot of negatives and it can be very easy to lose the job. Being acutely aware of all.the ins and outs of the job is what makes us who we are. It really does take a certain kind of individual to live the lives we do.
I would say it's worth it in the end. I've been around almost 20yrs and I have never looked back. I always live by the mantra "take the rough, with the smooth". In any job there will be downsides but I genuinely think the railway comes out with more positives.

Stay focussed on each stage and you will be fine.

Cheers for the advice. Always good to hear from those with a long service.

Established Member
I feel terrified to make mistakes and being kicked from seat to street.

Trust me that’s a good thing. The people that happens to are generally the people who pass out and go on about how easy it is. Then a few weeks later they’re sitting ashen faced in the mess room because they’ve overshot a station/spadded…

JammyBluebird

I just got talent pooled following interview and completion of psychometric assessment. Used the resource pack they gave me as a pdf (believe it was a GBRF pack). The paper examples were not exactly the same as those mentioned in the resource pack so I just googled the ones that would be in the test and used a couple of free online practices.

Received an email the day after saying I've been talent pooled and there is no role available. So just a waiting game I guess. Unsure if the "no role available" is due to lack of headroom at northern's training school or the vacancy has been filled.
Could be a long wait if it's the latter as it's not a particularly big station so can't see vacancies appearing very often.

Johncleesefan

It all depends how you use the resources. I bought the how2become book and I think it came with a dvd. Plenty of info there that helped me get the job nearly 10 years ago now. Definitely gets my recommendation to aid the process for under a tenner.

Jordmurray23

Slightly obscure question here and I'm not expecting any personal information here, apologies if it may offend anyone. I'm a firefighter and have just had my pension statement through. It's not great. Can anyone let me know, is a train drivers pension good? How does it compare with other professions
Thanks

Luckyflames

It all depends how you use the resources. I bought the how2become book and I think it came with a dvd. Plenty of info there that helped me get the job nearly 10 years ago now. Definitely gets my recommendation to aid the process for under a tenner.
Fair enough. Tail firmly between legs. My apologies.
Slightly obscure question here and I'm not expecting any personal information here, apologies if it may offend anyone. I'm a firefighter and have just had my pension statement through. It's not great. Can anyone let me know, is a train drivers pension good? How does it compare with other professions
Thanks
show many years have you done and what rank ?

Saxon79

I've downloaded the group bourdon file and been practicing. What other free training material is available in order to prepare for all the assessments? I've been looking but it all seems to be only available if you pay.

Johncleesefan

Fair enough. Tail firmly between legs. My apologies.

show many years have you done and what rank ?
That’s ok, I do find a lot of the “guaranteed to help you pass” stuff can be a false economy. Some of the courses and seminars they offer look like a waste of time. My advice is always to research, research and more research into job profile and company. The how2become book however is a tool to aid interview techniques and how to best present yourself etc. are you currently applying for a role?

Luckyflames

That’s ok, I do find a lot of the “guaranteed to help you pass” stuff can be a false economy. Some of the courses and seminars they offer look like a waste of time. My advice is always to research, research and more research into job profile and company. The how2become book however is a tool to aid interview techniques and how to best present yourself etc. are you currently applying for a role?
Cheers !! I’ve Been in the talent pool 8 months for GTR Southern.

Liban151

Do you mind if can get any of ur notes pics

I used the How2Become Train Driver Software package and a couple of their books to help me. Seemed to get me sifted nearly every time after that as well as feeling confident with the Psychometric Test when I attended. I had to do full suite of tests in one day and knew what to expect. It has a dvd with the Dots/Group Bourdon which really helped as well as a Coordination one for the joysticks test, which I know worries people. I found quite a few when I looked on eBay. The search function on here really helped me too, made so many notes to read through.
Hey do u mind if I can get any of ur notes pics

12LDA28C

Established Member
Does anyone know what will happen with train driver recruitment once GBR comes into existence?

As the Transport Bill which would have seen GBR brought into existence has been scrapped, GBR has effectively been delayed indefinitely and may well now be stillborn. They haven't even been able to announce the winner of the much-vaunted competition to host the HQ of GBR despite the enthusiastic lobbying by the various contender cities.

How much, if any of the recommendations drawn up in the Williams-Shapps report are actually implemented also remains to be seen.

Bhudd92

Hi guys I have recently decided to go down the route of trying to become a trainee train driver, I've recently came across the website of how2become.com which has lots books e.t.c, would anyone else know where i could get more information on how to start my journey, thanks

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Hi guys I have recently decided to go down the route of trying to become a trainee train driver, I've recently came across the website of how2become.com which has lots books e.t.c, would anyone else know where i could get more information on how to start my journey, thanks
Do you know anyone in the industry ? That would be a really good place to start.

Back when I was a youngster on the railway there was never a problem blagging a ride up front, and if you know the right drivers they would give you a go. But that was 40 years ago and things have changed dramatically.

You need to find out whether it is for you - being alert, quick thinking, and on the odd occasion diving behind the cab seat / bulkhead when something is about to come through the windscreen. Also knowing which signals are yours and which aren't. Seem to be loads or wrong routings lately and great if you spot one and don't take the signal. I notice there was a problem as St Albans today with what sounds like a wrong routing.

Class2ldn

Got zero chance of blagging a ride up front now.
Loads of info on this site, spend a few hours reading through it, you'll need to read into whether its what you definitely want to do, its not as glamorous as everyone thinks.
Look for companies in your area and sign up to alerts for trainee vacancies.

AdamST205

Hello everyone.

I am looking to become a train driver in the future and have been looking at jobs locally to me. Mainly Peterborough and they are advertising for Trainee Train Driver - Peterborough at GB railfreight. One of the requirements is that you "Have passed the train driver psychometrics to the national standard in the last 5 years". A quick google gives up so many different options at many different price points. My only concern is that I do not want to be burned spending money on something that isn't worth the paper that it is written on so just looking for advice what is best to look for? Distance doesn't matter as I would be prepared to travel.

A bit of background with myself I am in my mid 30's spent 15 years in management in the food industry so working a lot around H&S, Risk Assessments etc and have spent the last 2 years as a class 1 lorry driver which I am enjoying immensely and love the responsibility it brings but having a taste of that I would like to take the next step into train driving. Educationally I have 10 GSCE's A-C and BTEC in computer programming.

Thank you for your help.