• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
One that annoys me is the Febreze one set in a bathroom; the lady is so bothered about the odours getting flung all over the bathroom, yet she never puts the lid down when she flushes...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Any advert that gives the impression that babies can speak with an adult voice in order to market a product.

I wonder if the old phrase of "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings" had been seen by a researcher in an advertising agency?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Any advert that gives the impression that babies can speak with an adult voice in order to market a product.

I wonder if the old phrase of "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings" had been seen by a researcher in an advertising agency?
People grumbled about the Haribo adverts with adults dubbed with kids' voices a while back, but dubbing babies to sound like adults is far more annoying (and a little bit creepy).
See also, small children dressed as adults (suit and tie etc.) like the Kleenex ads from a few years ago.

stevetay3

The Newman dot com adverts aimed at blokes, surely one would know if thay suffered from the advertised problems with out shelling out for a dodgy blood test.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
People grumbled about the Haribo adverts with adults dubbed with kids' voices a while back, but dubbing babies to sound like adults is far more annoying (and a little bit creepy).

I absolutely hate those ones as well. For some reason my parents seem to like them.

Grumpus63

Over a year ago I decided to stop paying for a television licence and have joyously been free of live television and any kind of live broadcast. I still encounter advertisements of ITV hub (non live) but that is a wonderful opportunity to put the kettle on. I have the warm feeling inside that I am not contributing to the salaries of the likes of Gary Lineker and that purveys happiness (which is such a shame because I used to admire his clean record in football until he decided to go all political on us...ah well...each to their own...).

Steddenm

Over a year ago I decided to stop paying for a television licence and have joyously been free of live television and any kind of live broadcast. I still encounter advertisements of ITV hub (non live) but that is a wonderful opportunity to put the kettle on. I have the warm feeling inside that I am not contributing to the salaries of the likes of Gary Lineker and that purveys happiness (which is such a shame because I used to admire his clean record in football until he decided to go all political on us...ah well...each to their own...).
If you watch anything at all on BBC iPlayer or BBC content on BritBox, Netflix etc, then you still need a TV Licence. Also, if your equipment can receive live or "as live" BBC programming (such as a Google TV Chromecast, Amazon FireTV, Apple TV+) a licence is still required. Every so often the BBC iPlayer will pop up asking you to confirm if you have a licence.

The version of iPlayer currently in dev mode actually asks for your Licence number on sign up.

Grumpus63

If you watch anything at all on BBC iPlayer or BBC content on BritBox, Netflix etc, then you still need a TV Licence. Also, if your equipment can receive live or "as live" BBC programming (such as a Google TV Chromecast, Amazon FireTV, Apple TV+) a licence is still required. Every so often the BBC iPlayer will pop up asking you to confirm if you have a licence.

The version of iPlayer currently in dev mode actually asks for your Licence number on sign up.
Absolutely. Nothing LIVE is allowed on any receiving device in the house and as you say you cannot watch BBC I player full stop. However you CAN watch ITV Hub (the non-live one). It's irritating at first but you soon learn to avoid anything with "LIVE" attached to the decription. The TV table now accommodates a plant and my sole means of watching anything at all is "YouTube" which is fine. Btw, you can still have a television in the house to watch DVD's on.

Typhoon

Established Member
"The [insert retailer of choice] [insert time frame of choice] sale MUST end on Monday". So that they can start the next sale event... :rolleyes:
But it may not be called a 'Sale', it may be called a 'Price Drop' or (say) 'Sofa Promotion' or some other nonsense.
They never quote the law which obliges them too. :D
Don't sale items have to be offered at the 'normal' price for longer than sale price or something similar so on Monday evening they drag all the sale items to the back of the store and put the old price tags back, while moving the stuff at the back up to the front and put sale tags on? (to be reversed in about 4 weeks time).

Dislike - sale events where '50% off' is oscillating around to draw your attention to it, while 'Up to' is only visible if you have an 84" screen and are no more than 2 feet from it.

Gross! Where's the mind-bleach?
There are four more kids. Besides Peter Theodore Alphege and Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunston, there is Mary Anne Charlotte Emma, Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam, Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius and Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher. You can look up his wife, who appears to have six 'first' names. Someone clearly bought them The Book of Baby Names, Medieval Edition.

Some of them almost look like normal kids, still there is time.

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
They also broadcast to Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire. You may not realise this if you watch on HD TV as that only does the south east, the other version is on Channel 3 rather than cannel 103. One version is done live, the other is pre-recorded by the same presenters and are transmitted at the same time.
Yes, one of their main transmitters is on the Isle-Of-Wight and reaches all the way to Portland and would probably be the choice if you live East of Weymouth, it also is the feed for all of the relays past Dorchester, also the Hannington transmitter that serves the area around Basingstoke, very much in GWR territory.
Noting that the service area for Meridian extends from Portland in the west and all the way to the Thames estuary in the east, encompassing the Rowridge, Hannington, Midhurst, Heathfield, Dover and Bluebell Hill main transmitters.

As for annoying adverts, the current Dyson one that say how great their crappy vacuum is because it has a laser and a sensor that tells you what it's picked up, yeah like a cordless Dyson is going to pick up that much, and any advert for something which is clearly a scam but just this side of legal so that the advert doesn't get pulled

341o2

Established Member
The equity release firm beginning with getting old...and then the penny started to drop.

No, the penny drops - sudden realisation or understanding

Typhoon

Established Member
The equity release firm beginning with getting old...and then the penny started to drop.

No, the penny drops - sudden realisation or understanding
All equity release - especially Reader's Digest and Key. The latter because it ruined a really good Bernard Cribbins song.

I wonder how many people see the small print that says compound interest is charged on the "lifetime mortgage" that forms part of the equity release?
They annoy me because they make it out to be so easy. The older couple are confused until a kindly, sharp suited man or woman comes along and explains all about it (well not about how they get paid). Son or daughter in the background smiling away while their inheritance is given away to some financial companies. Will they explain the small print (and it's small because there is so much of it)? Unlikely. Martin Lewis advises downsizing first. Makes absolute sense, if the couple downsize after taking out Equity Release, there will be charges aplenty (especially if the new property is worth less).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I have just seen a TV advert of a baby lying on its back, singing in an adult voice. The offender this time was fundingcircle.com.

All equity release - especially Reader's Digest and Key. The latter because it ruined a really good Bernard Cribbins song.

They annoy me because they make it out to be so easy. The older couple are confused until a kindly, sharp suited man or woman comes along and explains all about it (well not about how they get paid). Son or daughter in the background smiling away while their inheritance is given away to some financial companies. Will they explain the small print (and it's small because there is so much of it)? Unlikely. Martin Lewis advises downsizing first. Makes absolute sense, if the couple downsize after taking out Equity Release, there will be charges aplenty (especially if the new property is worth less).

My in-laws did this in ~2004, took out £40K. Debt is now in order of £120K.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It could work at one time. I helped my unmarried godmother with equity release when she wished to retire to a modest seaside bungalow, and she lived happily there before her sudden death about fifteen years later. There was plenty of equity left to fulfil her wishes in her will, including a few thousand pounds to me. I was an executor of her will, and there were no problems whatever. On the other hand, when my sister, widowed, no children, was desperate for ready cash and had exhausted other options, I looked into it again and was disturbed how much more problematic it had become thirty years later, even on paper, and so it proved when an unscrupulous person who'd gained her trust persuaded her to end the agreed deal in favour of something he'd cobbled up himself, in effect taking control of her flat.

Typhoon

Established Member
I'm really sorry about that, 2004 was quite early days for it I would have thought. To me it is just like over 50s life insurance, pension freedoms (moving from a secure pension to insecure pensions) and IVAs for those in debt, the biggest winners are certain elements of the finance industry. Which leads to another dislike, adverts where the terms and conditions are written in really small print over a picture at the bottom of the screen, or read out at break-neck speed at the very end. Both of which are pointless. Better to say that there are terms and conditions at the same speed, same volume as the rest of the ad and have a message to that effect at the end of the ad for more than a couple of seconds.
I am in no illusion that any more than a few will read them, but those few are a plus.
It could work at one time. I helped my unmarried godmother with equity release when she wished to retire to a modest seaside bungalow, and she lived happily there before her sudden death about fifteen years later.
The plus there is she moved first. I think what you have described is how the equity release market has changed over the years, a lot more companies seem to be taking it on. Also there are the advisors and the providers who both want a slice of the pie.
I wonder how many people see the small print that says compound interest is charged on the "lifetime mortgage" that forms part of the equity release?
Not only that, many (if not most) use fixed interest rates, many significantly higher than those charged to borrowers at present.
Another annoying equity release advert - Legal and General 'My home helped pay for it'.

Master Cutler

+1

Dormeo mattress advert that takes up the whole advert break.
All mattress adverts are annoying and should be banned for treating us like idiots while taking liberties with our viewing time.
Free view unfortunately has to get its revenue from somewhere though, so we just have to put up with them.