• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver - Crosscountry - Multiple Locations (09/02/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernTech

Cheers, the tests I've done were the dot test,bleep tests and one similar to the Raat one we done for this.

I've not had an MMI or done the the computer tests. Is the MMI the same questions everytime as suggested elsewhere in the forum?
Sounds like Pickle is your man for advise here, as I think he has completed these to an enhanced standard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

Cheers, the tests I've done were the dot test,bleep tests and one similar to the Raat one we done for this.

I've not had an MMI or done the the computer tests. Is the MMI the same questions everytime as suggested elsewhere in the forum?
Fair enough, yes the other OPC tests will depend on what XC requirements are. As you say there will be computer based tests but there may well be a couple of other paper based they might ask you to complete too.

The MMI is a competency based interview similar to the DMI. They give you the questions beforehand so you can write down your examples for them. They review these before the MMI and generally they are the ones they will as you. If they think any examples are not suitable they will ask you something different during the interview.

The main difference I found was that they focus on the psychological elements, asking things like “how did that make you feel” etc.

I found the MMI the hardest part of my whole journey but there are plenty of examples and support available on here to help you prepare.

Last edited:

Glawsrfc

for those of us that have Application In Process status, at least for me i am assuming it didn't go any further. its defo too late for the first batch and not looking promising for june either. if they had looked at the application they would have decided and if they haven't looked at it then maybe they have selected who they wanted already(?)... i am assuming this to at least put my mind at rest so i don't keep thinking/checking their site... good luck to those still hoping.
Fair enough, yes the other OPC tests will depend on what XC requirements are. As you say there will be computer based tests but there may well be a couple of other paper based they might ask you to complete too.

The MMI is a competency based interview similar to the DMI. They give you the questions beforehand so you can write down your examples for them. They review these before the MMI and generally there are the ones they will as you. If they think any examples are not suitable they will ask you something different.

The main difference I found was that they focus on the psychological elements, asking things like “how did that make you feel” etc.

I found the MMI the hardest part of my whole journey but there are plenty of examples and support available on here to help you prepare.
Have to say my experience with WMT was opposite regards MMI and DMI.MMI was nice an casual,with the interviewer helping you to get to the answers they required...My DMI on the other hand was more formal then I was led to believe through the forum with no friendly chatting or gentle “pushing” towards what they wanted to hear.

Tests and MMI were all done on same day-all passed.

Then failed the DMI (final hurdle) which was bloody annoying as I’d thought I’d done well as questions were similar to MMI with added things like “what do you know about WMT”
Seems like DMI is done first by XC then tests and MMI...still waiting game for me as application still shows “in progress” so there still a chance I get selected to go forward.

PickleTree

Have to say my experience with WMT was opposite regards MMI and DMI.MMI was nice an casual,with the interviewer helping you to get to the answers they required...My DMI on the other hand was more formal then I was led to believe through the forum with no friendly chatting or gentle “pushing” towards what they wanted to hear.

Then failed the DMI (final hurdle) which was bloody annoying as I’d thought I’d done well as questions were similar to MMI with added things like “what do you know about WMT”
Seems like DMI is done first by XC then tests and MMI...still waiting game for me as application still shows “in progress” so there still a chance I get selected to go forward.
I have seen that people’s experiences differ on here with the MMI and DMI, and like you say XC do the DMI before the MMI and rest of the OPC tests.

Both DMIs I have had with the operating companies themselves have been much nicer than the MMI, I also enjoyed having time with people from the company you are going to work for rather than OPC employees.

As much as the information on these forums is a wealth of information everybody’s experiences will differ especially with the interviews so all you can do is prepare the best you can.

Glawsrfc

I have seen that people’s experiences differ on here with the MMI and DMI, and like you say XC do the DMI before the MMI and rest of the OPC tests.

Both DMIs I have had with the operating companies themselves have been much nicer than the MMI, I also enjoyed having time with people from the company you are going to work for rather than OPC employees.

As much as the information on these forums is a wealth of information everybody’s experiences will differ especially with the interviews so all you can do is prepare the best you can.
That’s what I’m seeing.
I’m just hopeful I at least get to the DMI as I’ve passsed everything else.
Very frustrating watching people progress and you’ve yet to hear anything despite still showing “in process”
One thing I’ve learnt is railway recruitment is a long road

PickleTree

I hadn’t checked the status of my application for a while but mine now says “assessment” not sure when this changed but just thought I would share as I have now completed the RAAT and DMI as part of this process.

Glawsrfc

I hadn’t checked the status of my application for a while but mine now says “assessment” not sure when this changed but just thought I would share as I have now completed the RAAT and DMI as part of this process.
Out of interest which depot are you going for and which date???
I’ve put my preference as Birmingham and the later intake

jonge88

Good morning all, long time lurker but first time poster here, I have just received a phone call inviting me to a teams interview for this vacancy next week, so if you are still waiting to hear back, don't loose hope just yet :smile:

PickleTree

Out of interest which depot are you going for and which date???
I’ve put my preference as Birmingham and the later intake
Didn’t specify a date but I won’t make the May intake now due to my notice period anyway. I applied for Bournemouth depot.

Demx93

Good morning all, long time lurker but first time poster here, I have just received a phone call inviting me to a teams interview for this vacancy next week, so if you are still waiting to hear back, don't loose hope just yet :smile:
I’m assuming you completed the RAAT test prior to the phone call?

D Rivers

Again just out of interest. Is everyone who is getting the interviews and further applying for depots along the Manchester to Bournemouth route??

Brad182

I had my interview last week and applied to Edinburgh.
I haven’t yet heard back on the result of that, so who knows if there’s any hope there.

Kt123

Hi everyone! Has anyone who applied for Manchester heard anything? I see other locations are progressing and moving forward but seen little on here regarding Manchester . I am still showing as “application in progress” thanks guys

Hi everyone! Has anyone who applied for Manchester heard anything? I see other locations are progressing and moving forward but seen little on here regarding Manchester . I am still showing as “application in progress” thanks guys
I’m in the same situation. I’ve already passed all the assessments via a different application but I’ve not heard a thing! :(

Kt123

I have not done any assessments prior so sounds like you have a step ahead of me! I’ve been monitoring post updates on here but I’ve not seen anything regarding Manchester, which may be a good thing for us.... who knows!

I have not done any assessments prior so sounds like you have a step ahead of me! I’ve been monitoring post updates on here but I’ve not seen anything regarding Manchester, which may be a good thing for us.... who knows!
Yeah, hopefully you’re right. Good luck anyway!

sd0733

Established Member
I was for Manchester and had the interview at the end of last week. I had a look at the status on my application earlier today as not heard anything since and it is now showing "Assessment" but as ive not looked for a while im not sure if thats changed since the interview or not.

Brad182

Your portal would have changed from in progress to assessment when you got the interview invite as that’s when mine changed.

Demx93

So I know they have been holding interviews for the Birmingham positions last week, I think it’s the end of the road this year for the people who haven’t received the RAAT invite yet.

So I know they have been holding interviews for the Birmingham positions last week, I think it’s the end of the road this year for the people who haven’t received the RAAT invite yet.
My profile still states 'application in progress' so I ain't writing this off quite yet.

Glawsrfc

My profile still states 'application in progress' so I ain't writing this off quite yet.
Ditto...Hoping they’re doing 2 batches and I’m in the second batch for possible June intake

Ditto...Hoping they’re doing 2 batches and I’m in the second batch for possible June intake
Have to say the communication from XC is somewhat lacking in spite of the pandemic.

I've read a lot on this thread about people applying for specific depots, is this just the ones near where you live or have you been asked which one's you want to go to? just concerned i've missed something

Glawsrfc

I've read a lot on this thread about people applying for specific depots, is this just the ones near where you live or have you been asked which one's you want to go to? just concerned i've missed something
I just said I was applying for the Birmingham position in my cover letter...wouldn’t let me choose anything bar Manchester on the initial application if I remember rightly.

PickleTree

I just said I was applying for the Birmingham position in my cover letter...wouldn’t let me choose anything bar Manchester on the initial application if I remember rightly.
Same for me, I said in my cover letter which depot I was applying for and when I had my interview last week it was carried out by that Depot's manager and a Driver Manager.

Have to say the communication from XC is somewhat lacking in spite of the pandemic.
Not sure they are going to manage the May date now as most people have a 4 week notice period and they are still interviewing. It will be interesting to see if they make the June date as a lot of people will still need to sit the OPC assessments if they get through the DMI before being offered anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.