• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail London - Trainee Driver - New Cross Gate / Willesden (19/06/23)

Razer Train

If anyone needs any help or advice prior to the training, i'm here if need be.

(Current driver at Willesden)

Congratulations to those who have got a start date!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kelki

Thank you did my MMI the week before last. Waiting to hear back

I mean DMI

Type on Google search “OPC Watford” the number comes up. If there’s any consolation I rang them it was pointless and a dismissive conversation. Told me Arriva has the results they cant share that information only give feedback once the result is known. What I don’t like they be going on like you ain’t patient like it ain’t been over three weeks. When they stated themselves 7-10 days. People that don’t know how to deliver good customer service is my pet peeve (I’ve done the job over 10 years) it don’t cost nothing to be polite! Like we ain’t anxious enough?? I’m frustrated by that conversation. So if you in the same boat don’t bother calling ain’t worth it. Contact Arriva (the woman that emailed you) me personally I’ll wait till Monday before I email if haven’t heard anything
Sorry I missed this. I agree with everything you said. A clear and consistent process would be so much better for all, its been very frustrating. I hope you've had some type of correspondence by now.

Thank you and for what it’s worth, I know it’s not easy to read but I say let this recruitment drive go and wait till another drive opens up. There will be other opportunities in the future. Especially if you’re London based.

Don't take that the wrong way but do what’s right for you. You’ve emailed ARL and the OPC, bar going down to their head offices, there’s no one else.
Passed my interview and next stage is medical. Do you have a start date.

Has anyone else been given a start date for January.

Last edited:

Ses16

I mean DMI

Sorry I missed this. I agree with everything you said. A clear and consistent process would be so much better for all, its been very frustrating. I hope you've had some type of correspondence by now.

Passed my interview and next stage is medical. Do you have a start date.

Has anyone else been given a start date for January.
Congrats bro, very happy to read to this! I had my DMI and I passed but I stated I wanted WJ, unfortunately they said I would be based at NXG as I didn't live too far from it.
I withdrew my application after but was told my details will be kept on file.

New Cross Gate opened up again for Trainees

Not surprised, a lot of work I've heard at that depot.

Samzino

Congrats bro, very happy to read to this! I had my DMI and I passed but I stated I wanted WJ, unfortunately they said I would be based at NXG as I didn't live too far from it.

I would have said take it and just get your key. You never know when next you have an opportunity again, especially as WJ is a depot that doesn't lose as much Drivers.

Kelki

That’s a shame, after such a process. Would it have been a huge distance to have taken NXG for now. My application was for WJ but it was mentioned that I was pretty much the same distance to both so I believe I had the choice.

Business Bob

You should have taken it! I was offered NXG when I had applied for Willesden but I was able to swap during training before starting my driving hours! Also, there's no one on the transfer list for Willesden so you would have got it after a year of productivity and we also get 2 lateral transfers.

Ses16

I am touched by the positive responses from you guys, honestly I am but I have two start dates pending with two other TOC'S next year so I could afford to be picky withdrawing from ARL. It's not something which was done lightly as I've read ARL offers the best T&C's but I just didn't want to work so close to home and do plan on starting a family soon, so further out than more in central was my thinking. If I did take NXG I was worried there would be a minium term of commitment before I could transfer as a qualifed to another TOC (or ARL depot) and time is not on my side at the moment.

If I got WJ I would of taken it there and then but the driver manager I had was adamant that was not going to be the case. In any case i'll get my key hopefully and if the oppotuinty arises for WJ in the future, I'll try get it.

I do have some thinking to do but best of luck to you lot that got in!

Kelki

I am touched by the positive responses from you guys, honestly I am but I have two start dates pending with two other TOC'S next year so I could afford to be picky withdrawing from ARL. It's not something which was done lightly as I've read ARL offers the best T&C's but I just didn't want to work so close to home and do plan on starting a family soon, so further out than more in central was my thinking. If I did take NXG I was worried there would be a minium term of commitment before I could transfer as a qualifed to another TOC (or ARL depot) and time is not on my side at the moment.

If I got WJ I would of taken it there and then but the driver manager I had was adamant that was not going to be the case. In any case i'll get my key hopefully and if the oppotuinty arises for WJ in the future, I'll try get it.

That’s great news, glad you thought about it and something worked out one way or another.

Ses16

That’s great news, glad you thought about it and something worked out one way or another.
Thank you and I'm actually more glad about your news and you getting in. Don't know how you did it but I am glad you did it, honestly good luck with your training!

Kelki

I did see some of your posts with Avanti. I had initially applied with Avanti when the role opened up around this time last year. I pulled out after being invited to sit the tests as I had already got to the DMI stage with Arriva and didn’t want to mess that up as I wasn’t sure how far my enhanced pass would take me with them. I think they may have only required I sit the CBI though, I didn’t wait to find out. Avanti appear to be quite well put together and have good prospects.

Thank you and I'm actually more glad about your news and you getting in. Don't know how you did it but I am glad you did it, honestly good luck with your training!
Haha thanks, It wasn’t easy that’s for sure! I’m really chuffed because it was definitely Arriva I wanted to work. Best of luck to you too, enjoy the ride. Gladit’s all worked out.

Last edited:

Ses16

I did see some of your posts with Avanti. I had initially applied with Avanti when the role opened up around this time last year. I pulled out after being invited to sit the tests as I had already got to the DMI stage with Arriva and didn’t want to mess that up as I wasn’t sure how far my enhanced pass would take me with them. I think they may have only required I sit the CBI though, I didn’t wait to find out. Avanti appear to be quite well put together and have good prospects.

Haha thanks, It wasn’t easy that’s for sure! I’m really chuffed because it was definitely Arriva I wanted to work. Best of luck to you too, enjoy the ride. Gladit’s all worked out.
It's mad because I thought i'd have to sit the MMI but ARL accepted my passes from the OPC and put me straight to DMI but like i said it wasn't meant to be in the end but I'm still very happy.

Anyway once again good luck to you all.

Milink

Does anyone know where training takes place, I believe it was in Swiss Cottage, is that still the case.

baz962

Established Member
It was swiss cottage and Willesden. I believe that it's palestra house now

Adam-King

Good morning all, I’ve been searching for some advice on my upcoming assessment day 1 for Arriva London, has anyone got any good advice for all parts or even any of the parts of the assessment day?
I have the following assessments;
Group Bourdon test
Tea-OCC test
M7-SJT
DFFT
Any help would be much appreciated

Chrysalis

Good morning all, I’ve been searching for some advice on my upcoming assessment day 1 for Arriva London, has anyone got any good advice for all parts or even any of the parts of the assessment day?
Group Bourdon test
Tea-OCC test
M7-SJT
DFFT
For stage one, don't you also have TRP1 and 2? Don't forget to practice for these too in case you have them.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Group Bourdon test
Tea-OCC test
M7-SJT
DFFT

You’ll find some advice in the “Assessments & Medicals Master Thread” at the top of the forum

Filly88

Hello gents,

Just wondering if anyone could give some insight into how long classroom based training will be? Im aware you can request certain annual leave after completing that classroom training, only asking as I have 5-6 days booked away in both july and september, just want to get ahead of it incase I need to cancel them

Secondary question, I passed both assessment days 1 and 2 back in 2021, I attended day 1 again the other dau and was told I didnt need to do anything and could go home and wait for the invite to day 2, do we know if the same will happen at day 2 or will they ask me to retake it? (Hoping they wont)

Thanks in advance :)

Business Bob

Just wondering if anyone could give some insight into how long classroom based training will be? Im aware you can request certain annual leave after completing that classroom training, only asking as I have 5-6 days booked away in both july and september, just want to get ahead of it incase I need to cancel them
When I went through in 2019, classroom based train will be your first 16 weeks then 6 weeks of driving and back to the classroom again before another 6 weeks of driving hours, before 1 final week in the classroom. Your annual leave will be allocated in 1 week blocks for everyone on leave together during the course, so no ad-hoc leave. You may have some wiggle room during your driving hours depending on your instructors roster/ DI availability to move rest days but that's something you'd have to wait and arrange locally closer to the time.

Filly88

When I went through in 2019, classroom based train will be your first 16 weeks then 6 weeks of driving and back to the classroom again before another 6 weeks of driving hours, before 1 final week in the classroom. Your annual leave will be allocated in 1 week blocks for everyone on leave together during the course, so no ad-hoc leave. You may have some wiggle room during your driving hours depending on your instructors roster/ DI availability to move rest days but that's something you'd have to wait and arrange locally closer to the time.
Ah ok thank you for that, I guess i'll just wait and see closer to time :)

moonie95

Hi,
Just attended Day 1 assessment today, went well apart from the last test DFFT fault finding test, had 20 questions to answer in 10 minutes.
Managed to answer only 7 :(
Haven’t got the outcome but 7/20 questions answered not really optimistic, anyone else experienced the DFFT?

Neonburger

Hi,
Just attended Day 1 assessment today, went well apart from the last test DFFT fault finding test, had 20 questions to answer in 10 minutes.
Haven’t got the outcome but 7/20 questions answered not really optimistic, anyone else experienced the DFFT?
I was in the morning session today (went halfway through as already have valid passes for some tests).. I passed the dfft only answering 9, so you might be ok if it’s 100% accurate. Fingers crossed.

Jaytrains

Hi,
If you answered them correctly then your good