• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF accept (subject to members agreement) 5% Scotrail Pay Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy1980s

Actually I am a railway pensioner, so while I am grateful for the around 3% rise in my pension this year, the monthly amount is less than half the monthly increase in my energy bill alone, before any other price rises; But there is not a thing I can do to get a bigger rise, I just have to accept the situation.

Of course non-RMT members are not the RMT, or its members' concern, equally then RMT member's pay is not the concern of (and therefore duty to pay for ?) everybody else, who are mostly unfortunate enough to have less industrial muscle.

So where will it come from ?

Which in any logical universe means there should now be less, not more, money available to spend today.
3% this year. That's more than I've had for 3 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
I’m a little surprised that ASLEF didn’t put the deal to the members - I imagine a good number of them wouldn’t have minded it.

And if they didn’t like it and returned a no vote then ASLEF would have had a stronger mandate in future negotiations.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A deal appears to have been done (subject to members approval):

ScotRail agrees 5% pay deal with train drivers' union​

A deal has been struck that could end the pay dispute between ScotRail and its train drivers.

Aslef, the union representing the drivers, agreed a 5% pay deal after negotiations with the rail provider's management.

It had previously rejected a 4.2% pay offer and threatened strike action.

The dispute has seen ScotRail introduce a greatly reduced timetable after drivers refused to work on their rest days.

The union said it would recommend members accept the offer.

ScotRail, which was nationalised by the Scottish government in April, has warned that separate action planned by the RMT union could wipe out train services in Scotland on three days later this month.

ScotRail has had a reduced timetable in place since last month, with almost 700 fewer services a day on weekdays, because of the Aslef dispute.

A temporary, scaled-back Sunday timetable was also introduced last weekend following several weeks of severe disruption.

But dozens of services were still cancelled and others were terminated part way through their route.

Aslef initially rejected a 2.2% pay offer, before later being offered 4.2% and improved conditions. Transport Scotland - the government's transport agency - described that offer as "both fair and affordable" but it was again rejected by the union.

'Recognition of a vital role'​

Kevin Lindsay, Aslef's Scotland organiser, said the new deal represented a "breakthrough and significant progress".

"We are pleased that, today, significant progress has been made in our latest round of talks with ScotRail," he said.

"The offer on pay has been increased to 5% and we have received improved offers on pay for rest day working, Sunday working allowances, driving instructor allowances, maternity pay and an extension of no compulsory redundancies to five years. There has also been an improved proposal around the non-consolidated revenue scheme."

He added: "All these proposals, we believe, represent a breakthrough and significant progress and is a recognition of the vital role our members play for society and the economy.

"The full Aslef negotiating team is recommending acceptance of the offer to our members through a referendum subject to executive committee approval."

'Abdicating responsibility'​

Transport minister Jenny Gilruth was forced to fend off questions about her involvement in the Aslef dispute from MSPs at Holyrood on Wednesday.

ScotRail had urged fans heading to Hampden Park for Wednesday's Scotland-Armenia football match to revise their travel plans with no services after the game from the station closest to the stadium.

Ms Gilruth acknowledged the situation would have been "deeply frustrating" for supporters.

But Scottish Conservatives MSP Graham Simpson accused the minister of not bothering to "dirty her hands" with the talks between ScotRail - now run by a company owned by the Scottish government - and Aslef.

Ms Gilruth responded by saying she was "not in the negotiating room" and that it was "appropriate for ScotRail, the employers, to negotiate directly with the trade union to that end".

"That is how we resolve industrial disputes," she said. "However in relation to the ongoing dispute, it's important we get to a resolution."

The transport minister was also pressed by Tory MSP Liam Kerr, who said she was "abdicating that responsibility" by refusing to step into the dispute.

Ms Gilruth hit back angrily, insisted she had "absolute accountability" and had also answered questions on the dispute on Tuesday and in both the previous two weeks.

"It would not be appropriate for me as minister to be in the negotiating room," she reiterated.

From what's public it sounds like a perfectly reasonable deal all round to me!

ungreat

I'd take that. I'm GTR and we haven't voted but thats not a bad deal at all

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A deal appears to have been done (subject to members approval):

From what's public it sounds like a perfectly reasonable deal all round to me!
I'd be interesting to know what the revenue scheme means in practice. It's also rather surprising that 4.2% was deemed insufficient to even put it to their members, but 5% is enough to be recommended for acceptance.

Philip

On Moderation
Both the RMT and the Government should look to the ASLEF/Scotrail agreement and try to reach a similar deal (with a similar figure) for the rest of us, before 21st June.

George1066

I'd take that. I'm GTR and we haven't voted but thats not a bad deal at all
Unless you look at what Eurostar have been offerred. 8% in 3 increments this year. Driver on 80k would get £6400 increase. Looks like quite a lot voted against this as well.

CAF397

I'd be interesting to know what the revenue scheme means in practice. It's also rather surprising that 4.2% was deemed insufficient to even put it to their members, but 5% is enough to be recommended for acceptance.
Maybe there's something that was added, or removed, from the original offer in addition to the % offer.

Tayway

Excellent news – ASLEF also seem to be broadly supportive of bringing Sundays into the working week by 2027. Hopefully the RMT take note and try to come to a similar resolution instead of resorting to strike action.

skyhigh

Established Member
Maybe there's something that was added, or removed, from the original offer in addition to the % offer.
It's pretty clear the increase costs staff 'less' in terms of T&C changes with the latest offer compared to the previous ones.

Spartacus

Established Member
It's also rather surprising that 4.2% was deemed insufficient to even put it to their members, but 5% is enough to be recommended for acceptance.

It's not just about the 5% though, there's also rest day working & Sunday conditions, leave, redundancy, maternity leave, instructor allowances, plus as you mentioned the revenue.

Excellent news – ASLEF also seem to be broadly supportive of bringing Sundays into the working week by 2027. Hopefully the RMT take note and try to come to a similar resolution instead of resorting to strike action.

It's part of the Aslef charter to bring Sunday into the working week. It's generally always been ScotRail that has stalled any moves to do so due to the costs involved.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Both the RMT and the Government should look to the ASLEF/Scotrail agreement and try to reach a similar deal (with a similar figure) for the rest of us, before 21st June.
The RMT have been offered almost the same deal for all grades. Some minor differences but same %.

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Unless you look at what Eurostar have been offerred. 8% in 3 increments this year. Driver on 80k would get £6400 increase. Looks like quite a lot voted against this as well.
Pretty sure Eurostar drivers aren't on 80k
The 8% takes them to 82k. Also the UK government don't have a stake in Eurostar anymore.

It's not just about the 5% though, there's also rest day working & Sunday conditions, leave, redundancy, maternity leave, instructor allowances, plus as you mentioned the revenue.

These were all included in the last offer, apart from the increase in the RDW payment, taking it from £375 to £400 per rest day worked.

It doesn’t appear to have taken a lot to go from being an unacceptable offer to one that is recommended for acceptanc.

DC1989

Anyone being offered 5% at the moment (public or private sector) should bite their hand off

Pretty sure Eurostar drivers aren't on 80k
The 8% takes them to 82k. Also the UK government don't have a stake in Eurostar anymore.

Aren’t they bi lingual as a minimum? Good luck to them if that’s what they’ve negotiate.

Dieseldriver

It’s not always about the pay offer itself, the 4.2% offer may have come with strings attatched that the union deemed unacceptable whereas the renewed, slightly higher offer may also have come with slightly more desirable terms

baz962

Established Member
Aren’t they bi lingual as a minimum? Good luck to them if that’s what they’ve negotiate.
It's been turned down I believe , but I don't know the exact details. Yes they need to be able to learn French and you go and stay with a French family. You don't need to know it , but be able to learn it.

It's been turned down I believe , but I don't know the exact details. Yes they need to be able to learn French and you go and stay with a French family. You don't need to know it , but be able to learn it.

I’d probably want to be paid more than that as well to go and live with people in another country and learn a foreign language.

baz962

Established Member
I’d probably want to be paid more than that as well to go and live with people in another country and learn a foreign language.
Apparently they get a decent payment for each week that they spend there , on top of the salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.