• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF accept (subject to members agreement) 5% Scotrail Pay Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've not heard anything to that effect.
A T.E. showed me a message, sent out by mick Hogg stating that all other parts of the offer were acceptable but that they would be recommending that the offer is rejected and that they should now ballot for industrial action.

LoogaBarooga

I thought that aspect of the deal had already been deemed acceptable by the union. Not sure why they've not been in touch with the members officially if this is the case.

Smidster

Anyone being offered 5% at the moment (public or private sector) should bite their hand off

This would be about, or just above, average - median pay settlements are currently running at around 4% (XPertHR - 3 months to April) but it has been creeping up and BoE suggest underlying pay growth of 4 - 5%

In other words it strikes as being completely fair and reasonable - I just hope that other unions would be reasonable but don't hold out hope.

boabt

A T.E. showed me a message, sent out by mick Hogg stating that all other parts of the offer were acceptable but that they would be recommending that the offer is rejected and that they should now ballot for industrial action.

I'm pretty confident at this point that the ScotGov will have had enough if the RMT are balloting for action after this offer.

They don't want to go to war with any trade union but there's only so far they can bend.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks pretty good to be honest.

Attachments

• 624F7BC9-A736-4470-B77B-5EAB7EB4EFF3.png
    624F7BC9-A736-4470-B77B-5EAB7EB4EFF3.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 363

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like we are in a reverse situation from the 80s when Aslef were regarded as the "militant" union and the RMT (or the NUR as it was then) was the "moderate" one.

The bonus part is actually achievable as well. The targets been hit in April and May so it’s obviously not been set too high although if its still here next year it will increase.

On Moderation
The bonus part is actually achievable as well. The targets been hit in April and May so it’s obviously not been set too high although if its still here next year it will increase.
Presumably the bonus would be at risk if the guards and signallers go on strike? Might be interesting in the messroom...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The question for me, as the deal seems quite equitable, is whether the membership will accept it or not!

Established Member
A deal appears to have been done (subject to members approval):

From what's public it sounds like a perfectly reasonable deal all round to me!

This is good news and certainly a sign that ASLEF in England should hold out for a similar %.

Headline pay in Scotland remains pretty poor, but I suppose it’s a decent result overall, albeit starting from a low base.

It's been turned down I believe , but I don't know the exact details. Yes they need to be able to learn French and you go and stay with a French family. You don't need to know it , but be able to learn it.

Tempted?

They might have to learn French, but they can certainly moan for England (one in particular, I’m sure you know who I mean - decent enough bloke but my God he loves a winge :D).

Looks like we are in a reverse situation from the 80s when Aslef were regarded as the "militant" union and the RMT (or the NUR as it was then) was the "moderate" one.

I do hope the RMT take a sensible view towards this - it strikes me that the headline deal is as good as can reasonably be hoped for. Obviously I’m not privy to the details (and it’s not my union), but there does need to be some pragmatism here.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
They have always flipped between positions. Long gone are the days of Jimmy Thomas.

Towers

Established Member
RMT rejecting, seriously? FFS :rolleyes:

Any copies of their version of the offer?

Presumably the bonus would be at risk if the guards and signallers go on strike? Might be interesting in the messroom...

Possibly, for that month, but we’ll get 3 days of no driving if they do go on strike.

LoogaBarooga

Maybe the company will offer 0.8% on top of the 4.2% on the table as a sweetner for the technologies stuff.

How much did drivers get for agreeing to have safety briefs etc delivered on their tablets?

RMT rejecting, seriously? FFS :rolleyes:

Any copies of their version of the offer?
Here is what the general grades (RMT represented) have been offered:
  • A 5 per cent increase in basic pay. This is broken down as a 2.2 per cent increase to recognise the cost-of-living challenges (funded by Transport Scotland and paid to all general grades since April 2022), and a further 2.8 per cent increase (to be funded by ScotRail), which recognises and rewards the flexibility of rostering arrangements as ScotRail responds to changes in our markets as we emerge from the pandemic.
  • An excess revenue share premium, which rewards all colleagues where ScotRail exceeds revenue budget targets. This scheme will also be backdated to 1 April 2022. Backdating to 1 April means staff would already have earned two periods of revenue share as we exceeded targets for those periods – this is £390 (less tax and NI contributions). If this paid out in full, it would be worth an additional £2,535 for every member of staff.
  • A five-year commitment to a no-compulsory redundancy agreement with two years being offered to general grade staff for current and future technology being accepted by general grades.
  • A commitment to bring Sundays into the working week within a five-year period with full implementation by the 2027 December timetable. This would require review of terms and conditions with trade union colleagues. A joint working party would be formed to enable all staff to feed in views and at the end staff will have a say on next steps.
  • An improvement in maternity and adoption leave payments comprising of: 13 weeks standard pay, then 13 weeks at 50 per cent standard pay, then 13 weeks at statutory maternity pay.
  • Sunday working allowance (SWA) increased by 10 per cent.
  • An increase in minimum flat rate pay to £10.50 per hour.
  • Rest Day Working – the current agreement extended to 31 March 2023 with a five per cent increase.

Efini92

Established Member
What is their current agreement for Sundays? At 7 hours, 1 every 4 weeks it equates to £2633.15.
If they’re giving them up for less than what they’d get for working them then it’s a pretty poor deal.

Towers

Established Member
What is their current agreement for Sundays? At 7 hours, 1 every 4 weeks it equates to £2633.15.
If they’re giving them up for less than what they’d get for working them then it’s a pretty poor deal.
There'll almost certainly be a lump sum offered when those negotiations come to the table.

The deal is not bringing Sunday into the working week. It is only agreeing to look at how they can do it. Any proposal to make Sunday part of the week will require negotiations and a vote put to the members to decide.

Efini92

Established Member
There'll almost certainly be a lump sum offered when those negotiations come to the table.
But what happens if no further offers are made for the 5 years. They will have sold Sundays for £526 a year.

The deal is not bringing Sunday into the working week. It is only agreeing to look at how they can do it. Any proposal to make Sunday part of the week will require negotiations and a vote put to the members to decide.
That’s what the ex FNW drivers thought when that deal was made at northern.

But what happens if no further offers are made for the 5 years. They will have sold Sundays for £526 a year.

No they haven't. It clearly states in the deal that there will be a review of terms and conditions and staff will have a say on what happens afterwards. So if it is not acceptable to the members then it won't happen.

Efini92

Established Member
No they haven't. It clearly states in the deal that there will be a review of terms and conditions and staff will have a say on what happens afterwards. So if it is not acceptable to the members then it won't happen.
It also would automatically be agreed by ASLEF without going to a vote.

dk1

Veteran Member
I couldn’t imagine that would be the case but not being a SR driver I wouldn’t like to comment.

It also would automatically be agreed by ASLEF without going to a vote.

I can assure you that it absolutely would not be automatically agreed by ASLEF. Any changes to terms and conditions are almost always put out to a vote of the membership and bringing Sunday into the working week is 100% guaranteed to go out to a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.