• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

FGW_DID

Established Member
It doesn't look like 5Q74 has run and 165106 is on the Windsor branch today (according to RTT) so it appears that the moves have been postponed, perhaps due to the weather related disruption?

didn’t look at the dates above, the moves weren’t planned for today anyway, they’ll take place on Wednesday 18/01. Same headcodes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
A shame it's taken five years to refurbished 166s after they were placed on a long distance line
Presumably covid delayed things

Deepgreen

Established Member
I travelled on 165102 twice today (part of a trip to Brighton from Dorking, and back). It has been refurbished but there is no first class labelling inside at all, the internal doors were locked open, the spot lights did not work (switches and bulbs still in place) and there was not even a silver stripe over the windows outside to denote first. In short, there was no way to tell that it was supposed to be first class and accordingly it filled up with students on the return (and not their fault). Appalling, and unfair on the staff who are supposed to police this mess. I have wriiten to GWR about the very poor output from the 165 refurbishment programme and have received a holding reply while they consider my points further, including their failure to provide demarcated first class on the majority of North Downs Line when all on the NDL are advertised as having it (and fares are charged for it). This has been going on for months now, on top of GWR's even-longer-running general failure to label things propery. Slack beyond belief from them. Oh, and the PA was inaudible over the roar of the ventilation fans!

387star

On Moderation
165205 is vile. The seat covers in one of the first class ends are horribly stained whilst the small triangular tables are covered in etchings and/or revealing the blue paint underneath

vicbury

I travelled on 165102 twice today (part of a trip to Brighton from Dorking, and back). It has been refurbished but there is no first class labelling inside at all, the internal doors were locked open, the spot lights did not work (switches and bulbs still in place) and there was not even a silver stripe over the windows outside to denote first. In short, there was no way to tell that it was supposed to be first class and accordingly it filled up with students on the return (and not their fault). Appalling, and unfair on the staff who are supposed to police this mess. I have wriiten to GWR about the very poor output from the 165 refurbishment programme and have received a holding reply while they consider my points further, including their failure to provide demarcated first class on the majority of North Downs Line when all on the NDL are advertised as having it (and fares are charged for it). This has been going on for months now, on top of GWR's even-longer-running general failure to label things propery. Slack beyond belief from them. Oh, and the PA was inaudible over the roar of the ventilation fans!
Same PA issue with the one I was on when we came to an abrupt halt in the Severn Tunnel yesterday evening. A bit disconcerting when you're stopped underwater in a tunnel and can't hear what the guard is saying. The automated announcements were perfectly audible, if anything a touch too loud.

The first class section also had the door held open with no signage, but then there is no first class on the Cardiff - Portsmouth route. I didn't like the new leather seat coverings, felt cheap and quite slippy

Deepgreen

Established Member
That is 166205. They aren't doing the other ones like that.
Indeed, and I quite like the style of the interiors on the refurbished units, it's just that they haven't been finished with the easy but important details. I cannot understand how they can be let back into service like that - one of the facets of a railway run by a bus company, I suppose.

3973EXL

Established Member
5Q74 dep 0933
5Q70 dep 1236

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Now the 769s are aborted there’s been a real push at Reading to mark up the first class area on the 165/1 3 cars: first class antimacassars on the seats and 1st class labels on the windows.

With the fleets now staying fairly static between Reading and Bristol there’s no reason why these markings shouldn’t stay (there was an issue when the fleet was mixed between the two locations).

Attachments

• 11765869-5E9C-46BA-8AEC-7A61A12CFB75.jpeg
    11765869-5E9C-46BA-8AEC-7A61A12CFB75.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 164

REVUpminster

Now the 769s are aborted there’s been a real push at Reading to mark up the first class area on the 165/1 3 cars: first class antimacassars on the seats and 1st class labels on the windows.

With the fleets now staying fairly static between Reading and Bristol there’s no reason why these markings shouldn’t stay (there was an issue when the fleet was mixed between the two locations).
165101 has been at Paignton- Exmouth Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; haven't checked today. It is still here.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
165101 has been at Paignton- Exmouth Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; haven't checked today. It is still here.
If you use the quick search function on RTT you can enter the unit number and it will pull up the current service the unit is working (if it is active) -- it appeared to work a Paignton-Exmouth service this morning.

RailWonderer

Established Member

The scratchings on that window not looking very first class though, and the lack of carpets. I know 165s never had them unlike 166s but a first section should always have them.
Unless I had a first through ticket I would not buy one just for the North Downs.
Also what are those switches for below the armrests?

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
Saturday 04/03

5Q74 09:50 Wolverton - Reading 165108

5Q70 13:46 Reading - Wolverton 165114

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
As built, they were on/off switches for individual overhead reading lights.
Speaking of, I travelled in 165104 last week, despite having the Reading lights removed it had a hotchpotch of switches and blanking strips, antimacassars and none, and the standard 165 wobbly table that felt like it was about to fall off. And no Air Cooling as the engine had cut out and was running on emergency lighting.

Attachments

• E2F3C2E2-9586-4606-B52E-1ABD078F341C.jpeg
    E2F3C2E2-9586-4606-B52E-1ABD078F341C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 112
  • FC427293-5297-46D9-BD63-96B5F604BD4F.jpeg
    FC427293-5297-46D9-BD63-96B5F604BD4F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 112
  • 236467BA-4DC6-42A1-B1A8-82C0FB1A1C00.jpeg
    236467BA-4DC6-42A1-B1A8-82C0FB1A1C00.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 114
  • 2D250C5C-2D34-4B8F-9BB8-802B5A780A3A.jpeg
    2D250C5C-2D34-4B8F-9BB8-802B5A780A3A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 113

davetheguard

Established Member
Speaking of, I travelled in 165104 last week, despite having the Reading lights removed it had a hotchpotch of switches and blanking strips, antimacassars and none, and the standard 165 wobbly table that felt like it was about to fall off. And no Air Cooling as the engine had cut out and was running on emergency lighting.

The big question is: were the reading lights removed at Reading depot? See what I did there?

I'll get my coat.

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
About 5 left in service unrefurbished after this?

166 programme to start May/June at a guess?

Completion of 165s can’t be far off now?

5 left to do after 114 goes off.

165s should be done just after start of July, if they all go to plan. I would imagine the first 166 will go when the penultimate 165 is released to keep the 2 at a time beat rate going.