• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

JGB3

Just got my email invite for Manchester

Please can someone enlighten me as to the difference between this role being advertised as trainee train driver and the one at the back end of 2022 being advertised as for the talent bank? Does this role bypass the need to sit in a talent bank?

Many thanks
Although it didn't mention it in the job advert, it does mention it does mention it on the webpage https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/about-us/careers/train-driver-recruitment at the end of the stage 5 box

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC1901

Applied for Manchester and also had my email to complete online assessments today! Fairly straight forward assessments really - SJT and a few multiple choice questions looking at what you think are the most important aspects of being a trainee driver.

TK.

Applied for Manchester and also had my email to complete online assessments today! Fairly straight forward assessments really - SJT and a few multiple choice questions looking at what you think are the most important aspects of being a trainee driver.
Have you completed them?
Is it anything you can practice for or just common sense normal questions? I've not logged into it yet.. just out, worried if I log in while out, it might start a timer or something

cono93

Nothing heard yet. No news is good news I suppose. Means no rejection! It could be possible that they're doing it in waves to avoid further server issues? Or the fact that they have a large amount of candidates to sift through.

TM84

Hi all, newbie here. Just about to start the assessments for the Euston position. I'm just try to think a few stages ahead (dangerous way to think, I know!), if successful and put into the talent bank does this mean you just wait until called upon to start the training course? How long do you often sit in the talent bank before commencing training. Also I guess you only starting getting paid once you passed the training...
Please excuse my naivety but this would be a new experience for me after working in a completely different industry of the last 15 years, I'm just trying to think about what would happen with my current employer, notice periods I have to give and potential gaps in earning a monthly salary etc... any insight would be hugely appreciated.

EchoMike

I applied for three depots, received two OPC Invites for the same questions as everyone else (same account). Not sure which depots they are for. First time I have ever completed the SJT etc so I have no idea how I went. Good luck all.

Emma2021

Hi all, newbie here. Just about to start the assessments for the Euston position. I'm just try to think a few stages ahead (dangerous way to think, I know!), if successful and put into the talent bank does this mean you just wait until called upon to start the training course? How long do you often sit in the talent bank before commencing training. Also I guess you only starting getting paid once you passed the training...
Please excuse my naivety but this would be a new experience for me after working in a completely different industry of the last 15 years, I'm just trying to think about what would happen with my current employer, notice periods I have to give and potential gaps in earning a monthly salary etc... any insight would be hugely appreciated.
Once you are on a training course you will start getting paid the lowest amount mentioned on the advert.

SC1901

Have you completed them?
Is it anything you can practice for or just common sense normal questions? I've not logged into it yet.. just out, worried if I log in while out, it might start a timer or something
Yeah - they're not really something you can prepare for. SJT is simply a paragraph about a train driver related scenario and you have to put in order from 1-4 what you would most likely do to least likely. The other tests are multiple choice asking about what skills you think are most or least important for a trainee driver and a few question about yourself and you rate Strongly agree down to strongly disagree. None are timed but 60 minutes of inactivity and it will log you out.

I completed a few tests then logged out and returned later and competed the rest. However, each individual test has to be completed when you start it.

What's the salary levels...40k starting but after that?
From the Avanti chatbot they had on Facebook they quoted £39,000 starting, once qualified £57,000 and then after two more years £67,000. Could change really with on-going union disputes...

Last edited:

benny91

Yeah - they're not really something you can prepare for. SJT is simply a paragraph about a train driver related scenario and you have to put in order from 1-4 what you would most likely do to least likely. The other tests are multiple choice asking about what skills you think are most or least important for a trainee driver and a few question about yourself and you rate Strongly agree down to strongly disagree. None are timed but 60 minutes of inactivity and it will log you out.

I completed a few tests then logged out and returned later and competed the rest. However, each individual test has to be completed when you start it.

From the Avanti chatbot they had on Facebook they quoted £39,000 starting, once qualified £57,000 and then after two more years £67,000. Could change really with on-going union disputes...
I'm assuming with the announced 8% rise then these figures will rise according?

JGB3

I'm just trying to think about what would happen with my current employer, notice periods I have to give and potential gaps in earning a monthly salary etc... any insight would be hugely appreciated.
I read somewhere yesterday that they try to give you approx 3 months notice of when your training course would start.

TK.

Ah thats amazing!! Thanks so much for your reply.. was a little worried then, but that's put my mind at ease :)

jed1984

They do use the CBI, and if you have a current DMI pass I think many will advise you to play it safe. The CBI is allegedly harder to pass, so there's a very real risk, but ultimately the decision is yours to make.
Sorry to jump on post new user here. What is CBI and mbi. Iv recently passed my enhanced psychometrics for northern and have been given the opportunity to sit them for Avanti. Reading through got me worried does this mean if youve passed in one place and fail elsewhere it all goes kaput? And can Avanti use my scores from previous pschometrics

JGB3

Sorry to jump on post new user here. What is CBI and mbi. Iv recently passed my enhanced psychometrics for northern and have been given the opportunity to sit them for Avanti. Reading through got me worried does this mean if youve passed in one place and fail elsewhere it all goes kaput? And can Avanti use my scores from previous pschometrics
When the OPC do their background checks on you, they will find what you have already done and should only send the assessments which aren't duplicates of what you have already done (if any)

nys18

Hi All,

I've been reading through this particular thread because I applied and recieved an online invitation for the London Euston position:

Avanti-KQ2Avanti West Coast: More about you
Avanti-PQAvanti West Coast: Preference Questions
Avanti-SJTAvanti West Coast: Situational Judgement Test
Avanti-TB-DTAvanti West Coast: Priorities - Driving Tasks
Avanti-TB-NTSAvanti West Coast: Priorities - Non-Technical Skills

I've never sat an online trainee train driver assessment before.

Also could someone differentiate in detail between MMI and CBI?

Any tips or advice?

Thank you All.

geeBRz

Hi all,

New here, I've just completed the online tests fingers crossed for all! I passed my psychometrics nearly three years ago and hoping something crops up sooner. Good luck all!

jed1984

When the OPC do their background checks on you, they will find what you have already done and should only send the assessments which aren't duplicates of what you have already done (if any)
Thank you

I recently passed my psychometrics tests at northern they used the MMI model.
I threw my hat in for Avanti and have been sent the OPC tests
If I fail these for what ever reason do these over write my pass at northern which is valid for 5years?
And iv sat some of the tests they have sent and thinking maybe iv sat them all but the wording is different

Hi All,

I've been reading through this particular thread because I applied and recieved an online invitation for the London Euston position:

Avanti-KQ2Avanti West Coast: More about you
Avanti-PQAvanti West Coast: Preference Questions
Avanti-SJTAvanti West Coast: Situational Judgement Test
Avanti-TB-DTAvanti West Coast: Priorities - Driving Tasks
Avanti-TB-NTSAvanti West Coast: Priorities - Non-Technical Skills

I've never sat an online trainee train driver assessment before.

Also could someone differentiate in detail between MMI and CBI?

Any tips or advice?

Thank you All.
I believe it's the questions they use for either CBI or MMI that differ I recently passed the MMI. Reading through this forum I get the feeling of i sit the CBI and fail for what ever reason it over rides my existing pass now I face a dilemma although the psychometrics and MMI was quite easy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-09-15-52-05-057_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-09-15-52-05-057_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot_2023-03-09-15-52-05-057_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-09-15-52-05-057_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Sorcerer

I must admit, I am very surprised to see people hearing back barely three days after the closing dates. I waited between two and three weeks before hearing back in the October vacancies and that likely had less candidates seeing as it was a one-day vacancy for my depot. Nevertheless, best of luck to everyone in their applications.

Plob

Mmi is mixed modul interview and cbi is competency based interview. Both very similar, opc will ask you for situations to use during a interview with one of their assessors. They tell you to use the star process (please Google this). They will poke holes in your answers to see if you back track or change. Plus they challenge you to see if you bite because you have stay leveled headed at all times.
In regards of the tests I have asked the question of period because I have recently completed the classroom based assessments for another company using the higher standard. Each toc and foc are different the person I spoke to confirmed avanti results are valid for 5 years, this may be different for other companies.
The online tests only last 6 months regardless of the company so if you did the a year ago they will be reset and if you pass you will only need to take (if needed at all) the tests you either failed or required by avanti.
Hope this helps and for me still waiting on Wolverhampton depot but has anyone applying there heard please.

GPR

They could be prioritising Euston and Manchester.
The quicker the process the quicker people are on courses if needed to be.

Jayleeruss

Hey guys! I’ve just got the same email about the tests. Don’t worry if you’ve not got your email, I know a few friends of mine work on the rail and are great candidates and haven’t heard back yet either, so I’m sure it’s a gradual process.
But for anyone who’s done it, can you tell me a little bit about the driving tasks and non-technical skills? What are they like? Any math involved, or literacy skills, or is it just another ‘least likely most likely’ situation? I’ve done the LNER one when you had to spot discrepancies in the receipts of shipment details, is it similar?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer, and good luck! :)

MT18

No maths or literacy skills involved apart from being able to read and understand the scenario written. There isn’t any tips or advice to give apart from just answer with your gut instinct and don’t deviate from any rules and procedures.

Last edited:

Jayleeruss

No maths or literacy skills involved apart from being able to read and understand the scenario written. There isn’t any tips or advice to give apart from just answer with your gut instinct and don’t deviate from any rules and procedures.
Thanks man! I appreciate your insight :) good luck!