• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Penny

Same here. what worries me is at the end of the test it just seemed to finish. i was expecting a big fancy Well Done finish screen. In the stress of it I can’t remember what the last screen actually said!!!
i waited a bit then went i log in again and it told me “ you have no assessments to complete”
Have i missed something??
I wouldn't worry about that!
It just said something along the lines of thank you for your answers, but it was that small if you blinked you'd miss it
Let's hope we hear back early next week either way!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

User7

Just completed the VSE and M7SJT. Email states not to make contact and applicants will hear back with in 20 days of the deadline which for me is 24th 17:00 hours.

Harvinder

Just completed the VSE and M7SJT. Email states not to make contact and applicants will hear back with in 20 days of the deadline which for me is 24th 17:00 hours.
How was the test, what was the VSE like?

Harvinder

The practise material is not the same, I’d advise to watch a video on YouTube of what to expect.
Visual-Search-Part-3-1.jpg

Something like this I believe, where you find faults

voyager2023

I know this will have been asked numerous times ‍♂️ but do these two tests go as a strike if you were to fail as there are so many conflicting answers

JohnL93

I know this will have been asked numerous times ‍♂️ but do these two tests go as a strike if you were to fail as there are so many conflicting answers
No. As these tests aren’t recorded and as such if you failed later on in the process and applied in the future I believe you would have to do these 2 tests again even though you passed them. Any test you fail at the assessment centre will count towards a life being lost.

voyager2023

But it doesn't count as a strike at all at this stage.
In which case I best take a look at them! Only reason I am asking is because I have an interview coming up with another TOC in the next couple of weeks… they do it a different way… company DTM interview first then possibly Watford. Didn’t want to take this… fail and have messed up my chances there before I’ve even had the chance as they don’t require enhanced. Didn’t want a strike already l

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
In which case I best take a look at them! Only reason I am asking is because I have an interview coming up with another TOC in the next couple of weeks… they do it a different way… company DTM interview first then possibly Watford. Didn’t want to take this… fail and have messed up my chances there before I’ve even had the chance as they don’t require enhanced. Didn’t want a strike already l
Only the parts at testing centres with testing conditions are constrained by the lives. But if you have an interview lined up you won't lose anything by doing these or not. Not all TOCs use this testing. I've done this before for Freightliner but both WMT and TfW were sift then OPC testing

Spincity

Does the other TOC use MMI or CBI. If you do the MMI you won’t be able to sit the CBI within 6 months, reverse applies. So might need to decided with TOC asap

voyager2023

Does the other TOC use MMI or CBI. If you do the MMI you won’t be able to sit the CBI within 6 months, reverse applies. So might need to decided with TOC asap
Thanks for this. I know Avanti do CBI and other too does use MMI. However I obviously may not get further with the other TOC so I will give these OPC tests a go. I just wanted to check failing these wouldn't stop me going forward with the other TOC within 6 months. But obviously if these don't get classed as a fail with others as I know they aren't enhanced I guess giving this a go won't be an issue then will decide which way to go if I get offered Watford with both

Chippychips

This may be of some help to you and others in regards to this topic.

Attachments

• 20230318_180144.jpg
    20230318_180144.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Aviator88

Incorrect. They only last for 6 months so even if you passed you'd have to sit again with Avanti or any other train company.

What I'm saying is that you only get two chances (for life/length of database memory) to sit the VSE with Avanti specifically, as per Chippychip's screenshot above.

Although it alludes to other TOCs not accepting you after failing the VSE and or M7 twice, I've 'heard' that sometimes this isn't the case.

TootTootToot

This may be of some help to you and others in regards to this topic.
So if you, let’s say, have sat these (VSE & M7) before and passed them and are currently sitting in a talent pool with another enhanced operator then by sitting these with avanti then your talent pool place isn’t at risk if you fail?

Or if you fail is your talent pool place at risk as the fail overwrites the pass you previously achieved?

Any ideas?

Clear as mud IMO

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
So if you, let’s say, have sat these (VSE & M7) before and passed them and are currently sitting in a talent pool with another enhanced operator then by sitting these with avanti then your talent pool place isn’t at risk if you fail?

Or if you fail is your talent pool place at risk as the fail overwrites the pass you previously achieved?

Any ideas?

Clear as mud IMO
If you resit any testing whilst in a talent pool and fail, you won't have the original pass scores to use when a job offer is made from the talent pool. In an ideal world, you apply for any positions at any tocs once you pass testing as you won't need to resit the same tests unless they require a higher pass score

Chippychips

Any ideas?
Bit of a grey area. You would certainly incur a life lost for these tests specifically, and your Avanti journey would come to an end, but your pool position would not be at risk for failing an uncontrolled preliminary test, having passed previously with your pool TOC.
Reason being, these are like an additional sift before doing the main tests hence why they are uncontrolled.
Remember, the main tests also consist of a VSE and SJT in a 'controlled' environment which you have passed already. These passes are what matter most.
If your pool TOC saw you resit and failed the M7 and VSE, it doesn't mean anything to them as they already used them as a "marker" to invite you to take the main assessments with them which you have passed.
Failing the M7 and VSE tests would translate to nothing more than "he/she/they/it etc are not good enough to sit the main assessments", but... clearly you were as your results are now on file to show this WITH THE POOL TOC.
However... if you resit one of the controlled tests (I.e Group Bourdon) and fail, then it is likely your pool position will be at risk.
Hey are you able to attach revision materials so we can have a look just in case I pass the next stage
There was no revision material given. However when you get sent the link, theres a practice link before you start each test which you can practice as many times as you wish.
Theres nothing really out there that I've come across to help/revise.

Maybe another member might be able to post on this matter?

Mirek

Visual-Search-Part-3-1.jpg

Something like this I believe, where you find faults
So it is the VSE test (track and signs)? In the practice pdf materials there is dot going around rectangle and 2 columns with letters not the signs. I assumed those in pdf are exactly the same as the real one to do on-line.