• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Black pudding was included with VT going back to 2005 or even earlier. I love a bit of black pudding!
(Mods: I'm unable to quote the menu with the text)
Thanks for that!

I've a feeling they stopped including black pudding for a while, before returning it within the last few years.

I'm a fan of black pudding as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks for that!

I've a feeling they stopped including black pudding for a while, before returning it within the last few years.

I'm a fan of black pudding as well.

It begs the question why don't they serve a full sized Breakfast that you would expect anywhere else and not a "Happy Meal" sized offering ?

Butts

Veteran Member
I went out to Birmingham from Euston yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and came back this morning. Thoughts below:

Euston Lounge
  • Improvement over pre COVID offering, food is served on proper plates and there is more of a selection, drinks served in proper glassware too
  • Cold meat platter on the menu - apparently this is only available in the week at the moment sadly

London -> Birmingham
  • First was Coach K only and was 75% full - Standard Premium was pretty empty
  • 4 drinks runs with alcohol between London and Birmingham - full tumblers of prosecco and when I asked for a cognac and dry ginger they gave me 2 x 50ml cognac and 2 x cans of ginger ale
  • Hot option (gnocchi and smoked salmon) was good, however with only one hot option it would quickly get boring if travelling often
  • Salted caramel tart was improvement over previous desserts
  • Rather randomly we all got a plate of crisps too!
  • Quantity of food served was sufficient for the journey - I wasn't hungry at the end of the trip

Birmingham -> London
  • First was Coach K only and was almost full -rest of train was really busy too
  • Full English was good, however came with scrambled egg instead of fried egg
  • Not quite as forthcoming with drinks - there were 2 coffee runs and you had to proactively ask for soft drinks, but they were delivered promptly

On both journeys the staff were busy for the entire trip - it looks they have to work much harder to deliver the service now, and can't sit down for half of the journey anymore on quieter trains. For my normal journey (London -> Liverpool) which seems to start from £90 each way for an advance I don't think I would bother with First on breakfast trains any more. I may occasionally pay for it on afternoon/evening trains, however I think going forward I will stick to Std Premium and self cater. Having only Coach K as first is a bit of a double edged sword, it makes it more crowded but allows for a more attentive service.

Sounds like the Sunday journey topped the weekday one perversely - mind you with one Coach to serve there is no excuse really.

A vast improvement on the "Cheese Box Specials" and cheaper 1st Class Advances to boot.

Looking forward to my 31st October jaunt from EUS to Brum.

Status
Not open for further replies.