• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Awaiting start with TFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit different to the questions I’ve seen asked here but I’ve just been offered a role as a schedule compiler with TfL based in their office in Southwark, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were also getting that 8% pay rise as well

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

This is a bit different to the questions I’ve seen asked here but I’ve just been offered a role as a schedule compiler with TfL based in their office in Southwark, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were also getting that 8% pay rise as well?
That is a TfL contract, not LU, so has different agreements.

Also, it isn't necessarily 8%. It's based off February RPI which hasn't been announced yet.

FinchN9

Question, what does the medical involve? Is it possible that you could fail it?

Been looking for some info but can’t find any.

Tube driver

If i remember correctly from a age related one I had just before covid hit, it’s height, weight, eyesight (inc colour vision check), hearing (the dreaded booth of despair ), pee in a cup to check for nasties and a nurse will have a chat about any issues medically that you may have. Might have checked blood pressure - can’t recall.

possible to fail? Yep, but nothing that shouldn’t come as a surprise (You generally know if you’re colour blind or not) The hearing test gets people sweating a bit as it’s a bit of a novelty if you haven’t done it before but again, shouldn’t worry you too much (so long as they’ve sorted the secondary glazing out in their new gaff - bloody motorbike went whizzing by on mine. Sound proof my arse!).

Don‘t stress and if your on meds, Take them with you.

bugger, that’s as a driver. Sorry, CSA might be a little different. How do you delete posts here?

Mabs

I got the call today for my Medical. I chose next week Wednesday 2nd March 2022 in the morning.

What should I wear to the Medical?

on-the-tracks

I got the call today for my Medical. I chose next week Wednesday 2nd March 2022 in the morning.

What should I wear to the Medical?
Something comfy and easily removable as you’ll be doing an ECG too so will be top off and trousers rolled up

Rme6

Question, what does the medical involve? Is it possible that you could fail it?

Been looking for some info but can’t find any.
I had hearing test, colour blind test and reading from a chart with and without my glasses. Pee in a jar and had blood pressure measured with a little chat about my general health. That's for csa2. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

ruby

All I did last week was colour blind, drug test, hearing test, eye test. Apparently they are short staffed so they are making it really fast and easy. @Mabs just wear something comfortabl. It’s a really relaxed environmen. I was in and out in 25 minutes

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
All I did last week was colour blind, drug test, hearing test, eye test. Apparently they are short staffed so they are making it really fast and easy. @Mabs just wear something comfortabl. It’s a really relaxed environmen. I was in and out in 25 minutes

Slightly different medicals dependent on job - but the core bits are all that you mention with slightly more for drivers.

Mabs

I have my medical tomorrow, Thank you all for the advice. I hope there is no underground strikes or it'll be cancelled.

Edited since having the medical.

I just had the medical. In total it took about 1 hour including the wait.

They tested the urine sample for Alcohol and Drugs.

They did an eye test without and with glasses. Each eye individually and not together. They did the colour blind test where you read out the numbers you can see in the book.

They did the hearing test and I would say some of the sound is very faint so you need to concentrate. They told me everything was fine and I passed.

Just waiting to hear back for a start date now.

Good luck to anyone else having the medical.

Last edited:

Londonkens

Just phoned recruitment and I’m super low down on the wait list to start the job, number 79 to be precise - she said I’d be starting the role at the end of the year so at this point it’s a case of getting on with life as normal and forgetting I’ve even applied for the role

Rme6

I know how you feel, but stay positive. There is light at the end of the tunnel (tube). Only if we knew for sure how many people they are training /week.

Mawkie

I have my medical tomorrow, Thank you all for the advice. I hope there is no underground strikes or it'll be cancelled.

Edited since having the medical.

I just had the medical. In total it took about 1 hour including the wait.

They tested the urine sample for Alcohol and Drugs.

They did an eye test without and with glasses. Each eye individually and not together. They did the colour blind test where you read out the numbers you can see in the book.

They did the hearing test and I would say some of the sound is very faint so you need to concentrate. They told me everything was fine and I passed.

Just waiting to hear back for a start date now.

Good luck to anyone else having the medical.
Well done. Just to clarify for everyone - this was a CSA medical?

Just phoned recruitment and I’m super low down on the wait list to start the job, number 79 to be precise - she said I’d be starting the role at the end of the year so at this point it’s a case of getting on with life as normal and forgetting I’ve even applied for the role
Bad times. I don't want to give false hope, or appear overly pessimistic, but LU recruitment is an absolute law unto itself. They tell you one thing and the exact opposite can happen.

Having said that, I like your pragmatic approach. You'll fit in nicely. ;)

Mabs

Well done. Just to clarify for everyone - this was a CSA medical?

Bad times. I don't want to give false hope, or appear overly pessimistic, but LU recruitment is an absolute law unto itself. They tell you one thing and the exact opposite can happen.

Having said that, I like your pragmatic approach. You'll fit in nicely. ;)
Yes it was for CSA - Night Tube Part time

ruby

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Im told I’m 53 on the list yet they will be in touch in a few weeks. Just keeping my fingers crossed and they will call when they call.

Mabs

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Im told I’m 53 on the list yet they will be in touch in a few weeks. Just keeping my fingers crossed and they will call when they call.
But 53 to cover the whole of London isn't much. It might move faster than we think. The Doctor thinks I will hear very soon ( She said it with a very big smile)

Rme6

Update

Called in to get an update and was told that I have moved 1 number up since 21st of February. How slow can you go tfl.

Update

Called in to get an update and was told that I have moved 1 number up since 21st of February. How slow can you go tfl.
Looks like I'll start work next year.

BlackZeta

Update

Looks like I'll start work next year.
I was calling in January, I was 32 on the list.. I’m still waiting

Mabs

To be honest I don't mind waiting 2-3 months if I am told of a start date. Its the waiting and not knowing that makes it difficult.

ruby

I generally believe that CSA 2 waitlists move slower than Night tube. In past campaigns people sometimes wait years

Mabs

I just got an email from TFL onboarding. They need a proof of address for me for the last 3 months. I already sent it but il send it again.

Also they need a proof of address for the nominee (I'm guessing that's for the travel pass for the nominee) also they are asking duty of care? What is that?

Rme6

I just got an email from TFL onboarding. They need a proof of address for me for the last 3 months. I already sent it but il send it again.

Also they need a proof of address for the nominee (I'm guessing that's for the travel pass for the nominee) also they are asking duty of care? What is that?
Better call and find out what this "duty of care" is, might be next of kin. They have started the process of getting you work ready. Good luck.

Mabs

Better call and find out what this "duty of care" is, might be next of kin. They have started the process of getting you work ready. Good luck.
I just sent a recent utility bill and a marriage certificate. It might be for the nominee travel pass. If they need anything they will probably email me again.

I'm looking forward to getting a start date. Thank you.

ruby

You need to ask them for a duty of care form. You fill that and send it back. I had to resend all of my forms again but the duty of care form was never sent initially so I asked for it, sent and returned. This just makes me think a start date is near

Mabs

You need to ask them for a duty of care form. You fill that and send it back. I had to resend all of my forms again but the duty of care form was never sent initially so I asked for it, sent and returned. This just makes me think a start date is near
I will email Katie now and ask her to send me the duty of care form.

Thank you for the information.

I just got an email Tfl now has all my documents they needed. Just have to wait now.

Just an update if anyone wants to know. I have a video call on Monday to prove my identity and address on camera. I will have to show the documents on camera and then my DBS will start.

I wonder what type of DBS Tfl does. If it's basic then it should take 2-3 weeks but if its enhanced it should take 2-4 months.

Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Rme6

I just got an email Tfl now has all my documents they needed. Just have to wait now.

Just an update if anyone wants to know. I have a video call on Monday to prove my identity and address on camera. I will have to show the documents on camera and then my DBS will start.

I wonder what type of DBS Tfl does. If it's basic then it should take 2-3 weeks but if its enhanced it should take 2-4 months.

Does anyone know?
My wife had one for a job in primary school which I believe was enhanced and only took 2 weeks.

Roger1973

Also they need a proof of address for the nominee (I'm guessing that's for the travel pass for the nominee)

My understanding (having at one time had a bus operator pass rather than TFL employee) is that they insist on some sort of proof of address for the nominee, it does have to be someone who is resident at the same address, but the nominee does not have to be related to / in a relationship with the staff member.

Would be surprised if it's not basic for most jobs on the underground. Enhanced is related to specific types of job, employers can't just put all their staff through enhanced just because they feel like it. There may be a few jobs like that within TFL, but I'd be very surprised if front line station staff were.

Were you asked about past convictions as part of the application? Were you asked about 'spent' convictions? (The latter can be relevant if it's a job requiring enhanced DBS but not otherwise.)

Status
Not open for further replies.