• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ayr Station Hotel Fire 28/05/2023 and now on fire again 25/09/2023

zwk500

Veteran Member
How would that work when the owner of the premises is allegedly in Malaysia and uncontactable?
Presumably because even if the owners are uncontactable there are laws against summarily seizing property, even when public money has been used to make it safe.

It's Scottish law of course here, although I believe there are posts earlier in the thread that cover the situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Presumably because even if the owners are uncontactable there are laws against summarily seizing property, even when public money has been used to make it safe.

It's Scottish law of course here, although I believe there are posts earlier in the thread that cover the situation.
I was thinking more of how 'Scotland's Railway' would be able to make a claim for compensation.

Trainbike46

Established Member
I was thinking more of how 'Scotland's Railway' would be able to make a claim for compensation.
In addition to the land the hotel was on, any other assets the owner may have in the UK could theoretically be seized. If that doesn't cover it, it may still be worth to sue and demand payment if the person in question ever returns to the UK

tspaul26

Established Member
In addition to the land the hotel was on, any other assets the owner may have in the UK could theoretically be seized.
This would be unlawful.
If that doesn't cover it, it may still be worth to sue and demand payment if the person in question ever returns to the UK
This is highly unlikely to bear any fruit, especially the more time that passes.

Buzby

How would that work when the owner of the premises is allegedly in Malaysia and uncontactable?
Wouldn’t matter if he was on the Moon, a Public Notice (published in the London Gazette) would be enough to intimate that the cumulative cost of maintenance, scaffolding, security (failed), demolition and disposal undertaken by the Council would have a billable amount that can be quantified, along with Council Tax due on the empty property until the date of demolition, and offset by the value of the ground. The owner can then stump up the balance to remain the landlord or continue to hide where his liberty could be severely restricted should he return to the UK.

This would be unlawful.
Like the ongoing ignoring of costs to secure the property? This cuts both ways.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This would be unlawful.
Parliament could do something about that should the Government so desire...

There should be some means in law that would prevent these situations from getting out of hand like is the case with Ayr. Maybe have a certain number of years with no response and no action from the owners resulting in seizure if there are justifiable safety grounds for doing so. That would cover cases like this, but would not run the risk of someone who simply owns a field somewhere from having that seized.

MadMac

(Disclaimer: IANAL)

Maybe it’s time for a separate thread on the legalities of this whole situation, but I would imagine that their first claim would be on NR on the basis that “From date A-date B, you did not fulfill your contractual obligations to facilitate running of our services between Prestwick Town and Stranraer”. NR’s defence would be along the lines of force majeure (extreme circumstances outwith their control). In any event, as others have written, this situation may well provoke a fresh legislative look at the whole question of absentee landlords.

Rick1984

A integrated travel hub would be great. Ayr bus station is a grim ,grim place

tspaul26

Established Member
Wouldn’t matter if he was on the Moon, a Public Notice (published in the London Gazette) would be enough to intimate that the cumulative cost of maintenance, scaffolding, security (failed), demolition and disposal undertaken by the Council would have a billable amount that can be quantified, along with Council Tax due on the empty property until the date of demolition, and offset by the value of the ground.
It would be in the Edinburgh Gazette, but I take your general point.

This is possible already though (save that there would be no council tax due of course).
The owner can then stump up the balance to remain the landlord or continue to hide where his liberty could be severely restricted should he return to the UK.
This would not be possible: the way such matters are recovered is upon disposition of the heritage at which point the expenses are recoverable from the proceeds.
Like the ongoing ignoring of costs to secure the property? This cuts both ways.
The heritor hasn’t actually done anything, though. It certainly does not justify the seizure of private property.
Parliament could do something about that should the Government so desire...
Parliament has already.

And the Scottish Parliament would be asking for a trip to the Supreme Court if it tried to legislate for expropriation without compensation.
There should be some means in law that would prevent these situations from getting out of hand like is the case with Ayr. Maybe have a certain number of years with no response and no action from the owners resulting in seizure if there are justifiable safety grounds for doing so. That would cover cases like this, but would not run the risk of someone who simply owns a field somewhere from having that seized.
This mechanism already exists, but is rarely (if ever) used.
NR’s defence would be along the lines of force majeure (extreme circumstances outwith their control).
There is no such general defence.
In any event, as others have written, this situation may well provoke a fresh legislative look at the whole question of absentee landlords.
I’m not sure that new legislation would solve anything given that current legal avenues are not used as things stand.

MadMac

It would be in the Edinburgh Gazette, but I take your general point.

This is possible already though (save that there would be no council tax due of course).

This would not be possible: the way such matters are recovered is upon disposition of the heritage at which point the expenses are recoverable from the proceeds.

The heritor hasn’t actually done anything, though. It certainly does not justify the seizure of private property.

Parliament has already.

And the Scottish Parliament would be asking for a trip to the Supreme Court if it tried to legislate for expropriation without compensation.

This mechanism already exists, but is rarely (if ever) used.

There is no such general defence.

I’m not sure that new legislation would solve anything given that current legal avenues are not used as things stand.
Thanks for your valuable input on this, much appreciated. Would the British Railways Board, as a Statutory Authority, have had different powers to deal with this sort of situation?

Buzby

I’ve been trying to find more on this - empty property relief is limited to 12 months in exceptional circumstances (it is usually 6). An owner cannot avoid paying it by saying he doesn’t use it, and you are surely aware that many factory owners removed the roofs of their property solely to avoid any payment of CT. The Station Hotel managed to retain its roof until last year.

I would be interested to discover (a) what the annual charge for the closed hotel was (b) whether the owner made these payments and if there are any arrears, and (c) if the council has placed an inhibition on any sale of the property until it is paid. A fairly routine occurrence and within their existing powers.

tspaul26

Established Member
I’ve been trying to find more on this - empty property relief is limited to 12 months in exceptional circumstances (it is usually 6). An owner cannot avoid paying it by saying he doesn’t use it, and you are surely aware that many factory owners removed the roofs of their property solely to avoid any payment of CT. The Station Hotel managed to retain its roof until last year.

I would be interested to discover (a) what the annual charge for the closed hotel was (b) whether the owner made these payments and if there are any arrears, and (c) if the council has placed an inhibition on any sale of the property until it is paid. A fairly routine occurrence and within their existing powers.
No council tax will ever have been due for the hotel - it is a legal impossibility.

Thanks for your valuable input on this, much appreciated. Would the British Railways Board, as a Statutory Authority, have had different powers to deal with this sort of situation?
It would have had fewer powers available, save as a heritor for the conjoined or over sailing parts of the building.

Buzby

No council tax will ever have been due for the hotel - it is a legal impossibility.
Council Tax/Business Rates - it had a rateable value of £3,000, of which the current costing £1,494 for 2022-3 before any ‘relief’ is applied. So did they pay their share? I do recall the council (2021?) claimed to be in discussions with the owner, and wanted to sell to a third party, but only if no liability as to costs in the past or future would apply to the sale. Since the council was already out a sizeable sum for scaffolding and plastic wrap, no agreement was reached and one must assume, the potential sale negotiations concluded.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
We are in this mess because of the laws that we have in place. The owner of the hotel was, as far as I can tell, doing everything perfectly legally and indeed rationally from his perspective. If we don't want this situation to happen again, then we are going to have to change the laws. The reason we aren't rushing to change the laws is really the fact that there is no financially and politically free option to fix this. Either the state, through some mechanism (whether that be NR funding or heritage bodies or the council or someone else) would have to cough up for the cost of maintaining the building and preventing it falling down and blocking the railway, or we have to loosen our rules on listed buildings and make it easier for owners to knock down their buildings. When we're in such dire economic straits the logical answer really is the second one, but people don't like facing cold, hard reality. When there are people genuinely trying to list Cumbernauld Town Centre you can see how active demolition of a Victorian station hotel would be unpopular.

In the end, we've lost the hotel anyway, but just at an enormous societal cost. Demolishing it upfront would have annoyed a small number of people for a relatively short period of time. Not demolishing it has meant that a much larger number of people have been annoyed for a much longer period of time. Was it really politically better to go this route? Every little problem we create in the name of immediate political expediency ends up making us all worse off in the end.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Council Tax/Business Rates - it had a rateable value of £3,000, of which the current costing £1,494 for 2022-3 before any ‘relief’ is applied. So did they pay their share? I do recall the council (2021?) claimed to be in discussions with the owner, and wanted to sell to a third party, but only if no liability as to costs in the past or future would apply to the sale. Since the council was already out a sizeable sum for scaffolding and plastic wrap, no agreement was reached and one must assume, the potential sale negotiations concluded.
Council tax does not apply as it's not a residential property.

Where are you getting your £3000 figure from?

tspaul26

Established Member
Council tax and business rates are completely separate and operate very differently.

And there is no concept of the hotel owner having a ‘share’ to pay.
Council tax does not apply as it's not a residential property.

Where are you getting your £3000 figure from?
Indeed.

I am not sure where this £3,000 figure has come from either.

Buzby

Council tax does not apply as it's not a residential property
Of course it doesn’t - as I clarified in post 224 - we all paid Rates until they changed it to Council Tax, the tax for business continued but continued to be called Rates, which I doubt many under 40 would be aware of. Nevertheless, businesses are not taxation-free and still must contribute.

I am not sure where this £3,000 figure has come from either
It is their Rateable Value - all a matter of public record, but you knew that surely?

For the avoidance of doubt businesses are required to contribute and the point being made was that even if closed and not operating, the council will be billing the owner. Did they pay anything? From the earlier comments there appeared the impression that nothing was ever due to support the local economy.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.png
    IMG_0450.png
    482.6 KB · Views: 23

tspaul26

Established Member
It is their Rateable Value - all a matter of public record, but you knew that surely?

For the avoidance of doubt businesses are required to contribute and the point being made was that even if closed and not operating, the council will be billing the owner. Did they pay anything? From the earlier comments there appeared the impression that nothing was ever due to support the local economy.
The current rateable value for the hotel is £77,000 (or would have been had it not burnt down, I suppose).

However, for as long as the hotel remained vacant no rates would be due or payable.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Of course it doesn’t - as I clarified in post 224 - we all paid Rates until they changed it to Council Tax, the tax for business continued but continued to be called Rates, which I doubt many under 40 would be aware of. Nevertheless, businesses are not taxation-free and still must contribute.
But you keep referring to council tax!
First of all, if you're referring to public record, please provide your source and quote the relevant parts.

I'm no expert on such matters, but let's refer to the Scottish Government's website:

Non-domestic rates (business rates)
Non-domestic rates, also called business rates, are a property tax which help pay for local council services.

The Scottish Government sets non-domestic rates. Councils administer and collect rates.

What you need to pay: non-domestic rates
What you need to pay is based on:

the value of your property (rateable value) - set by independent assessors - multiplied by
a national poundage, a rate that is the ‘pence per £1 of rateable value’ to be paid - set annually by the Scottish Government, minus
any rates relief (discounts) your property is in receipt of – for example because it is used for charitable purposes or is in a rural area
You can find out the rateable value for any rated non-domestic property at the Scottish Assessors website.

Use the non-domestic rates calculator on the mygov.scot website to estimate your rates bill. You can also find out about any relief (discounts) your property may be eligible for.

Following the link on that page to find the rateable value, it leads me here:

TenantOccupierNet Annual Value £77,000

Valuation MarkRateable Value £77,000

Effective Date01-APR-23

So, where does your £3000 come from?

Crossover

Established Member

I think that may just be the station itself?

The hotel has a different postcode and gives the £77k previously mentioned

1705052684368.png

Mordac

Established Member
We are in this mess because of the laws that we have in place. The owner of the hotel was, as far as I can tell, doing everything perfectly legally and indeed rationally from his perspective. If we don't want this situation to happen again, then we are going to have to change the laws. The reason we aren't rushing to change the laws is really the fact that there is no financially and politically free option to fix this. Either the state, through some mechanism (whether that be NR funding or heritage bodies or the council or someone else) would have to cough up for the cost of maintaining the building and preventing it falling down and blocking the railway, or we have to loosen our rules on listed buildings and make it easier for owners to knock down their buildings. When we're in such dire economic straits the logical answer really is the second one, but people don't like facing cold, hard reality. When there are people genuinely trying to list Cumbernauld Town Centre you can see how active demolition of a Victorian station hotel would be unpopular.

In the end, we've lost the hotel anyway, but just at an enormous societal cost. Demolishing it upfront would have annoyed a small number of people for a relatively short period of time. Not demolishing it has meant that a much larger number of people have been annoyed for a much longer period of time. Was it really politically better to go this route? Every little problem we create in the name of immediate political expediency ends up making us all worse off in the end.
There are people in Birmingham now trying to prevent the demolition of Smallbrook Queensway, one of the worst brutalist carbuncles this city has to offer. The heritage lobby is completely out of control and listing needs to be massively curtailed.

Buzby

The hotel has a different postcode and gives the £77k previously mentioned
Possibly - the postcode itself was provided by the ‘Buildings at Risk’ register, so used that for the lookup. Both entries refer to ‘Station’ but it’s quite possible different areas may be subdivided for liability purposes.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There are people in Birmingham now trying to prevent the demolition of Smallbrook Queensway, one of the worst brutalist carbuncles this city has to offer. The heritage lobby is completely out of control and listing needs to be massively curtailed.
I used to work in that building and will volunteer to remove the first brick. Appalling building, and nowhere near dense enough for its proximity to the city centre. Flatten it.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

I'm hazy about the details but I think there's a building (?library?) in the City that was proposed for demolition and replacement in the 1970s and someone led a campaign against the plan. The building eventually was demolished and replaced. Now that replacement building has itself been threatened with demolition and a 'save-it' groups has been formed, led by the very same person who, in effect, campaigned against its construction.

Mordac

Established Member
I used to work in that building and will volunteer to remove the first brick. Appalling building, and nowhere near dense enough for its proximity to the city centre. Flatten it.
I don't think it has any bricks, it's all concrete. :lol:

This is actually one of the reasons it's proposed to be demolished, it's got concrete cancer and would take a fortune to fix. It would also still be a monstrosity, which is why I'm baffled that anyone sees anything worth saving in it. Some people seem to think anything old (where old in this case is barely over 50 years) is worth preserving.

I have a particular visceral response to people who want to preserve brutalist monstrosities because of their impact on the public realm.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I don't think it has any bricks, it's all concrete. :lol:

This is actually one of the reasons it's proposed to be demolished, it's got concrete cancer and would take a fortune to fix. It would also still be a monstrosity, which is why I'm baffled that anyone sees anything worth saving in it. Some people seem to think anything old (where old in this case is barely over 50 years) is worth preserving.

I have a particular visceral response to people who want to preserve brutalist monstrosities because of their impact on the public realm.
I suspect a lot of the reaction to Brutalist demolition proposals is not the building as such but the emotional memories connected with the building. Plenty of people who are now in their 50s and 60s will have had fun adolescent adventures in what was then a bright and new building.

och aye

The Ayr Advertiser have an article with images from South Ayrshire Council which show the extent of the demolition works.

South Ayrshire Council say they have made "significant progress" with the work to make Ayr's fire-damaged Station Hotel safe.

But they confirmed work on the southern section of the hotel would continue until at least March.

They also revealed that contractors had managed to save the famous Glasgow and South Western Railway crest stone from the building, which was severely damaged by fire last September.

Ayr Station Hotel South Ayrshire Council 3.jpg.article-620.jpg

Ayr Station Hotel South Ayrshire Council.jpg.article-620.jpg

Ayr Station Hotel South Ayrshire Council 2.jpg.article-620.jpg

MadMac

Thanks for the update. Who will ultimately be on the hook when the bill arrives for the large pile of no-longer usable scaffolding?