• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So 197s with an axle weight of c. 11 tonnes are too heavy for the coast but 97s with an axle weight of c. 18 tonnes are ok? Hmmm.
My guess is that the 97s are allowed but at a lower speed and probably on limited runs (maybe higher track access charges as well).

But how on earth did we come to a higher axle weight for a modern train in these energy conscious times ?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lurcheroo

My guess is that the 97s are allowed but at a lower speed and probably on limited runs (maybe higher track access charges as well).

But how on earth did we come to a higher axle weight for a modern train in these energy conscious times ?.
Yes I belive the loco's have a lower maximum permissable speed which would not be any good for running to the current timetable despite it having plenty of slack in it anyway. My understanding is that all the extra weight comes from things like the emissions packs. Would be good if anyone could confrim those both 100% though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Have I understood correctly that basically all trains from Manchester to Llandudno/Holyhead are now 197s? I'm planning an adventure and it would be wise to be genned up :) I may be up there with a cycle, so I've plenty of desire to be all prepared in advance, I've not yet seen the cycle space on a 197 so it'll be nice to know what it's like ahead of the class coming my way.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Have I understood correctly that basically all trains from Manchester to Llandudno/Holyhead are now 197s? I'm planning an adventure and it would be wise to be genned up :) I may be up there with a cycle, so I've plenty of desire to be all prepared in advance, I've not yet seen the cycle space on a 197 so it'll be nice to know what it's like ahead of the class coming my way.
Yes that's right they're pretty much always 197s now, at least on weekdays and Saturdays. The cycle space is similar to the 196 if I remember correctly.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes that's right they're pretty much always 197s now, at least on weekdays and Saturdays. The cycle space is similar to the 196 if I remember correctly.

Thanks! I want to go and do North Wales and some 197s soon, but I'm not sure when. I'm also guessing there's not that many 197s to Holyhead at present, soon enough of course that will change with the services from Cardiff. I think that destination is going to be a couple of months away yet, Llandudno and the rest of the coast between Rhyl and Bangor will get sooner I'm sure. Some major hints for future trips there :lol:

tomuk

Established Member
Yes I belive the loco's have a lower maximum permissable speed which would not be any good for running to the current timetable despite it having plenty of slack in it anyway. My understanding is that all the extra weight comes from things like the emissions packs. Would be good if anyone could confrim those both 100% though.
It's not so much that the 197s are too heavy it is that the 158s were built extremely lightly. They were attempting to fit the more luxurious air conned 23m express sprinter standard into a 20m basic 150 weight. This why for example the aircon is always been marginal or why 158s can't run on HOWL after the body bogie attachments were enlarged.

On Moderation
This why for example the aircon is always been marginal or why 158s can't run on HOWL after the body bogie attachments were enlarged.
The aircon issue is to a very large extent exacerbated by the change of refrigerant that was legally mandated. The new type being much less efficient than the old.

tomuk

Established Member
The aircon issue is to a very large extent exacerbated by the change of refrigerant that was legally mandated. The new type being much less efficient than the old.
The change in refrigerant definitely didn't help but the systems themselves are undersized to keep the weight and cost down.

317 forever

Established Member
The Chester Crewe shuttle is down for 197 from today however there will be issues with traincrew as lots from Crewe and Shrewsbury still haven’t trained on them
On May 13th I saw a 197 just outside Chester with Crewe on it. So maybe they ran that shuttle that day.

My 8.32 East Didsbury to Shotton on 13/5/23 was still a 175.

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
My 8.32 East Didsbury to Shotton on 13/5/23 was still a 175.
There's still occasional other trains, but a majority of the services are 197s.

Today (from MIA->Chester and beyond):
5:25/11:25/17:25 - 197008+197011
6:25/12:25/18:25 - 197007
7:25/13:25/19:25 - 197021
8:25 - 197018
9:25/15:25/21:25 - 197010+197015
10:25/16:25/22:25 - 197002+197006
14:25/20:25 - 197018+197004 (018 from 8:25's next lap)

all 197s today.

Last edited:

Western 52

Anyone know what this move is tomorrow? It calls at Landore and picks up a set at Cardiff. 197s returning to Chester for maintenance?

william.martin

On Moderation

Anyone know what this move is tomorrow? It calls at Landore and picks up a set at Cardiff. 197s returning to Chester for maintenance?
I think they are just doing a set swap for the South Wales ones - info from the post below:
197110 supposed to be coming down to South Wales next week with 020 and 042

Anonymous10

Established Member

SuperLuke2334

Established Member

Correct, with a 3Z98 path coming the other way. I've heard the southbound one will be 110, 020 and 042.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
how on earth did we come to a higher axle weight for a modern train in these energy conscious times ?.
Isn't most post-BR stock quite a bit heavier than the last generation of BR designs? Something to do with stricter crashworthiness requirements? I was going to suggest aluminium versus steel bodyshells might also be a factor, but actually I think both 158s and 197s are aluminium bodied - is that right?

It's not so much that the 197s are too heavy it is that the 158s were built extremely lightly. They were attempting to fit the more luxurious air conned 23m express sprinter standard into a 20m basic 150 weight. This why for example the aircon is always been marginal or why 158s can't run on HOWL after the body bogie attachments were enlarged.
I thought the poor aircon on the 158s was partly down to suitable equipment* not being available that would fit on the unit without it being out of loading gauge.

* Not necessarily the aircon itself - it could be the engines not having a high enough power output for a more-powerful aircon unit to be fitted (if I recall correctly, when the 158s were refurbished, power sockets were only provided at tables because there were fears the 350hp engines would not be able generate enough electricity to cope if everyone in the carriage plugged in a laptop). Was the 400hp engine fitted to the class 159s the most-powerful available at the time which would fit under the floor of a DMU?

Bob Price

Interesting to see 2 X 2 car units on the Crewe to Llandudno service and another on the Crewe Chester shuttle. These units seem to be used more and more now in North Wales

Philip

On Moderation
Interesting to see 2 X 2 car units on the Crewe to Llandudno service and another on the Crewe Chester shuttle. These units seem to be used more and more now in North Wales

Just waiting now for the first ones to appear on the Manchester-South Wales services.

Jez

Established Member
Which won't be until after they start the Holyhead - Cardiff services... which they should have already started on.
It seems like there will be a long wait until they appear on Manchester-Cardiff/West Wales.

Any news on when they are likely to start on Holyhead-Cardiff/Swanline?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
It seems like there will be a long wait until they appear on Manchester-Cardiff/West Wales.

Any news on when they are likely to start on Holyhead-Cardiff/Swanline?
Still waiting on the acceptance issues to be resolved to allow more to be accepted, to allow more to enter service to cover more routes.

Bob Price

Which acceptance issues are outstanding? There must be loads sitting waiting to enter service. I saw 044 on test today at Crewe.