• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Herefordian

197's on North Wales - Manchester and Mk4's on South Wales - Manchester expected from Dec TT change.
Before then it'll mainly be 197's on Blaenau branch, Chester - Liverpool and I would expect Wrexham - Bidston to free up the 150's. Anything else before Dec would be a bonus. 175's will mainly be running South - North until at least mid next year. No train crew training has started in the South yet on 197s.

Thanks for this, nice to know I've still got plenty of time to enjoy the legacy stock on the Marches line.

I don't suppose you know if the rumours of extra 197s being ordered were true, or was it just wibble?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anonymous10

Established Member
I think the intendion on my understanding is the 197001/02, 197004-197021 & 197101-112 are to replace everything 175 operated. The will start on the Blaenau branch and Chester-Liverpool. The 175 withdrawal will start 175 for a 197 on individual basis until 175s are all gone.

197003, 197022-197041 to replace all 158 and are ETCS fitted on the Holyhead & Aberystwyth/Pwllheli-Birmingham’s

197113-197126 3-car fitted with 1st Class to be added to South Wales-Manchester to make 5-car sets. Remaining 2-cars units 197042-051 for West Wales routes.
nice in theory in practice i think the 2 car units will actually just work wherever required

Doveymain158

197's on North Wales - Manchester and Mk4's on South Wales - Manchester expected from Dec TT change.
Before then it'll mainly be 197's on Blaenau branch, Chester - Liverpool and I would expect Wrexham - Bidston to free up the 150's. Anything else before Dec would be a bonus. 175's will mainly be running South - North until at least mid next year. No train crew training has started in the South yet on 197s.
Exiting times ahead

craigybagel

Established Member
In terms of the Manchester services, which is more likely to start first at this rate; Mk4 sets to South Wales or 197s to North Wales?

Mk4 to South Wales is looking a pretty safe bet for December, though it may well only be 1 set in service each day at first rather than the full 2 hourly service. 197 training is going pretty well at the North Wales depots but only a handful of Crewe crews and nobody bar instructors at Cardiff or Carmarthen have been trained yet, so there won't be any 197s on Manchester - South Wales for a while. A 197 still hasn't even made it to Cardiff yet.

In my opinion, 197s. Purely because the Mk4s aren't meant to start until December, and I don't know whether they've yet been cleared between Shrewsbury and Crewe.
Mk4s not yet cleared for Shrewsbury - Crewe though there is a date is expected to happen by that should allow enough time for a December introduction. There are no stop boards for them yet either between Shrewsbury and Manchester but there are plans for that as well.

I think the intendion on my understanding is the 197001/02, 197004-197021 & 197101-112 are to replace everything 175 operated. The will start on the Blaenau branch and Chester-Liverpool. The 175 withdrawal will start 175 for a 197 on individual basis until 175s are all gone.

197003, 197022-197041 to replace all 158 and are ETCS fitted on the Holyhead & Aberystwyth/Pwllheli-Birmingham’s

197113-197126 3-car fitted with 1st Class to be added to South Wales-Manchester to make 5-car sets. Remaining 2-cars units 197042-051 for West Wales routes.
You need to be careful making like for like comparisons when the future timetable and service patterns are likely to be very different from how they are now.

Doveymain158

Mk4 to South Wales is looking a pretty safe bet for December, though it may well only be 1 set in service each day at first rather than the full 2 hourly service. 197 training is going pretty well at the North Wales depots but only a handful of Crewe crews and nobody bar instructors at Cardiff or Carmarthen have been trained yet, so there won't be any 197s on Manchester - South Wales for a while. A 197 still hasn't even made it to Cardiff yet.

Mk4s not yet cleared for Shrewsbury - Crewe though there is a date is expected to happen by that should allow enough time for a December introduction. There are no stop boards for them yet either between Shrewsbury and Manchester but there are plans for that as well.

You need to be careful making like for like comparisons when the future timetable and service patterns are likely to be very different from how they are now.
Well whatever happens come December it’s definately a step in the Right direction. Onwards and upwards I say.

Established Member
Is there a date for 197s on Llandudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog? Last time I heard this was going to be August.

sw1ller

Established Member
Early to mid September I was told when I was refreshing on them last week.

NewClee153

When are the 197s expected to be starting on the Cambrian Line? It would soften the blow of losing direct services to mid Wales at my local station if I knew the class 158s will no longer be running on the services :D

craigybagel

Established Member
When are the 197s expected to be starting on the Cambrian Line? It would soften the blow of losing direct services to mid Wales at my local station if I knew the class 158s will no longer be running on the services :D
Not for a while. The Cambrian was expected to be the last part of the network to see the new units and only one ERTMS fitted unit (003) has been delivered so far.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
It would soften the blow of losing direct services to mid Wales at my local station if I knew the class 158s will no longer be running on the services :D
I can't recall any direct services that are planned to be withdrawn; could you jog my memory?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I can't recall any direct services that are planned to be withdrawn; could you jog my memory?
Smethwick Galton Bridge is planned to lose its Transport for Wales services to Sandwell and Dudley.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Smethwick Galton Bridge is planned to lose its Transport for Wales services to Sandwell and Dudley.
I didn't think Sandwell and Dudley had any Transport for Wales services to lose, and indeed having now had a quick look at RealTimeTrains I couldn't find any - have they already gone?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I didn't think Sandwell and Dudley had any Transport for Wales services to lose, and indeed having now had a quick look at RealTimeTrains I couldn't find any - have they already gone?
I said Smethwick is planned to lose them, to Sandwell who will gain them.

In return, Sandwell will lose its WMT Wolverhampton service which will call at Smethwick.

Rhydgaled

Established Member

In return, Sandwell will lose its WMT Wolverhampton service which will call at Smethwick.
Ah, sorry, I misread it as services from Smethwick to Sandwell (or vice-versa); ie. I thought you meant there were TfW services that called at both allowing passengers to travel from one to the other without changing trains. Thanks for the clarification; I wasn't aware of that plan.

XAM2175

Established Member
Ah, sorry, I misread it as services from Smethwick to Sandwell (or vice-versa); ie. I thought you meant there were TfW services that called at both allowing passengers to travel from one to the other without changing trains. Thanks for the clarification; I wasn't aware of that plan.
Don't worry, a very easy mistake to make given how it was written.

tomuk

Established Member

It seems a poor outcome of the timetable change. TfW users lose a number of destinations available through one change and gain access to the bright lights of Oldbury.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
It seems a poor outcome of the timetable change. TfW users lose a number of destinations available through one change and gain access to the bright lights of Oldbury.
I agree, if it were not for the connectional options available at Smethwick Galton Bridge I would suggest that the TfW service should be non-stop between Wolverhampton and New Street.

I agree, if it were not for the connectional options available at Smethwick Galton Bridge I would suggest that the TfW service should be non-stop between Wolverhampton and New Street.

Perhaps in a couple of years time, when the Midland Metro's Wednesbury-Dudley spur goes live, Dudley Port may be seen as a more favourable station for TfW to call at given the connectivity to Dudley and Merry Hill. I've never really understood why Sandwell & Dudley, and Coseley, get calls by Avanti and LNWR respectively. As mentioned upthread, Oldbury isn't winning and tourism awards any time soon. I can see the benefits of Smethwick GB with the routes crossing.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I've never really understood why Sandwell & Dudley, and Coseley, get calls by Avanti and LNWR respectively. As mentioned upthread, Oldbury isn't winning and tourism awards any time soon.
I don't know the area, but possibly for operational reasons to minimise overcrowding or facilitate timetabling and maximise line capacity? Or perhaps political reasons if the stations are in marginal constituencies?

craigybagel

Established Member

Perhaps in a couple of years time, when the Midland Metro's Wednesbury-Dudley spur goes live, Dudley Port may be seen as a more favourable station for TfW to call at given the connectivity to Dudley and Merry Hill. I've never really understood why Sandwell & Dudley, and Coseley, get calls by Avanti and LNWR respectively. As mentioned upthread, Oldbury isn't winning and tourism awards any time soon. I can see the benefits of Smethwick GB with the routes crossing.

I don't know the area, but possibly for operational reasons to minimise overcrowding or facilitate timetabling and maximise line capacity? Or perhaps political reasons if the stations are in marginal constituencies?

Sandwell and Dudley acts as a railhead for Dudley and the Black Country - otherwise people wanting InterCity services would have to trek all the way to the centre of Wolverhampton or Birmingham. Dudley Port might have appeared a more sensible option for this, but with its Island Platform and location on an embankment I'd imagine it would have been a lot harder to extend the platforms (which today are still the shortest of all the stations between New Street and Wolves).

Smethwick Galton Bridge is a handy interchange from the Snow Hill Lines, and Cosely is a busy station with few decent alterative transport links and probably the most deserving of the remaining stations for an extra service behind the half hourly all stops.

However, we're drifting way off topic from 197s so I would suggest leaving it there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is a Traction & Rolling Stock thread to discuss updates regarding CAF Civity for TfW

Confirmed timetable changes are welcome to be discussed in the timetable section, while any suggestions, ideas or other speculative posts should be made in the Speculative Discussion section please.

Many thanks :)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
At Dolgarrog this morning.
Are the 197/1s planned to work to Blaenau Ffestiniog or are they just making sure they can get up there in case of an unplanned substitution? Given that ATW used to use a 153 in the winter I doubt three coaches are needed - I suppose they might be in summer (anyone know how much busier it gets?).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are the 197/1s planned to work to Blaenau Ffestiniog or are they just making sure they can get up there in case of an unplanned substitution? Given that ATW used to use a 153 in the winter I doubt three coaches are needed - I suppose they might be in summer (anyone know how much busier it gets?).

It gets a lot busier in summer, hence why First North Western had the Class 101 centre cars which were taken out over winter to save fuel. So being able to substitute one in would be very useful. Plus I believe there is early consideration of running direct through services onto the branch now it will use the same stock as the mainline.

craigybagel

Established Member
That's the nice thing about a uniform fleet - it becomes a lot easier to shuffle capacity around the network as required.