• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It's very easy to be cynical if you have the misfortune to live here and watch an empty 197 go past while you wait for your hotchpotch 150/153/etc combo on Holyhead to Cardiff.
I live in Cardiff and every day watch the 231s come in while waiting for my Sprinter. The good news is we’re not waiting as long as those im Birmingham or the South West, as TfW really have done very well so far with the FLIRTS and CAFs - and it’s not often I compliment them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

It's very easy to be cynical if you have the misfortune to live here and watch an empty 197 go past while you wait for your hotchpotch 150/153/etc combo on Holyhead to Cardiff.
At least there are 197s on test to watch! I've seen plenty of them yet not a single 196 on test despite living along one of the lines they will be received on. The 197s are going pretty well all things considered, they'll likely be in service before the whole fleet is built, which seems to be the threshold for success at the moment.

Edit: Yes, I realise there have been 196 tests but from the perspective of the passenger they're more or less invisible compared to the 197.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
"Quickly refurnished to provide the first class seating". So like coach D on the Virgin 221s? If so that's hardly First Class of a quality people will be willing to pay for.
That's not how I understand it. The document appears to be suggesting that all 14 first class units are to appear overnight at the end of 2024 to the final specification. As far as I know, the seat plan for that 'final specification' is still this (so quite unlike coach D on a Virgin 221):

197 firstclass.png

However, it appeared to be the intention to introduce the units (or some of them) into service before that date with that first class section declassified. However, there was a possibility that some of the units would be delivered with the first class section not simply declassified but actually with a different seating layout (presumably much closer to the standard class layout) in that section. This temporary standard class interior would presumably then be stripped out and replaced by the first class interior (which is what I meant by 'quickly refurnished').

Philip

On Moderation
I believe the latest Plans see the 170s as first to go so all the 150/153s replaced will need to directly or indirectly cover those.

Any guesses for a realistic introduction date for 197s to South Wales and 175s leaving TfW? May timetable next year?

craigybagel

Established Member
Any guesses for a realistic introduction date for 197s to South Wales and 175s leaving TfW? May timetable next year?
As it stands, no crews at Shrewsbury, Cardiff and Carmarthen, and only a handful at Crewe have been trained on 197s. Until that changes it's hard to put 197s on South Wales

GWVillager

That's not how I understand it. The document appears to be suggesting that all 14 first class units are to appear overnight at the end of 2024 to the final specification. As far as I know, the seat plan for that 'final specification' is still this (so quite unlike coach D on a Virgin 221):

View attachment 119735

However, it appeared to be the intention to introduce the units (or some of them) into service before that date with that first class section declassified. However, there was a possibility that some of the units would be delivered with the first class section not simply declassified but actually with a different seating layout (presumably much closer to the standard class layout) in that section. This temporary standard class interior would presumably then be stripped out and replaced by the first class interior (which is what I meant by 'quickly refurnished').
Ah I see. I apologise, I thought 'quickly refurnished' meant in the region of 5-10 minutes and would involve throwing a headrest on the Standard Class seats or something like that!

Plasmanoodle

Since January, I’ve noticed these paths on RTT, but they remain unused. There seems to be a ‘shuttle’ between Swansea and Ninian Park, and also a return between Cardiff and Carmarthen, going out in the morning and back in the evening.
Could they be in preparation for 197 training in the future?

Joel_1902

Hoping this is correct and of some use, corrections welcomed ofcourse..

Units delivered and testing-
197001-004/009-011/013
197101-102

Wolverton-
196006/007

Donnington (confirmed)
197008/012/018/021

Peter Sarf

Established Member

197001-004/009-011/013
197101-102

Wolverton-
196006/007

Donnington (confirmed)
197008/012/018/021
Useful, thanks.

Leads me to wonder where the gaps are (i.e. 197005, 014-017, 019 & 020) I suppose still at/near Derby Newport ?.

Last edited:

6Gtraincrew

Useful, thanks.

Leads me to wonder where the gaps are (i.e. 197005, 014-017, 019 & 020) I suppose still at/near Derby ?.
There are also around ten unnumbered sets at Donny, so I assume they are the ones you are asking about. Out of the factory but as yet unfinished.

The_Train

Established Member

197001-004/009-011/013
197101-102

Wolverton-
196006/007

Donnington (confirmed)
197008/012/018/021
Is it confirmed that 006 & 007 are at Wolverton and 008 at Donnington as I have all of these as being at Bicester MOD?

I've also got 197104 down as being at Donnington but not sure if that is 100% factual or an assumption of the latest arrival there following on numerically!

Joel_1902

Is it confirmed that 006 & 007 are at Wolverton and 008 at Donnington as I have all of these as being at Bicester MOD?

I've also got 197104 down as being at Donnington but not sure if that is 100% factual or an assumption of the latest arrival there following on numerically!
Is it confirmed they ever actually went to Bicester and not straight to Wolverton?

Pete81E

Passed a couple of coaches of (I think) either 197 or 231 on lorries. They were southbound on the M40 around J12 at about 1230ish? About to get snarled up in about 4 miles of stationary traffic.

My missus said she thought one had damage, but we were northbound and I only caught a glimpse.

Any ideas what these were please?

Thanks,
Pete

Bob Price

Focus seems very much to get units tested and drivers trained in the north. That way they can get them in service and get some 150's etc released to boost capacity elsewhere.

craigybagel

Established Member
Focus seems very much to get units tested and drivers trained in the north. That way they can get them in service and get some 150's etc released to boost capacity elsewhere.
Sensible use of limited resources. In the meantime, Crewe are working hard on MKIV training, and Cardiff are busy on both MKIVs and Stadlers - and there's no point training Crewe on 197s without Cardiff or vice versa.

Philip

On Moderation
Sensible use of limited resources. In the meantime, Crewe are working hard on MKIV training, and Cardiff are busy on both MKIVs and Stadlers - and there's no point training Crewe on 197s without Cardiff or vice versa.

I think there will be 9 Manchester-South Wales unit diagrams for the 'odd hour' DMU services, not counting any extra ones for strengthening. If 175s are the next to leave after the 170s then perhaps 158s may be used for some of the Manchester-South Wales services until the 197s are introduced.

craigybagel

Established Member
I think there will be 9 Manchester-South Wales unit diagrams for the 'odd hour' DMU services, not counting any extra ones for strengthening. If 175s are the next to leave after the 170s then perhaps 158s may be used for some of the Manchester-South Wales services until the 197s are introduced.
Given the 158s will be mostly stuck on the Cambrian, that's not too likely (but not impossible if plans change).

I think the most likely scenario is in December the Manchester DMU diagrams will continue to be mostly 175s. By the time Spring comes round the other training on MKIVs and Stadlers I mentioned above should be mostly complete, allowing 197 training to take place at Cardiff Crewe Shrewsbury and Carmarthen so we can hopefully see South Wales services move to 197s from next May.

None of this is official, it's just my own personal best guess.

sw1ller

Established Member
Given the 158s will be mostly stuck on the Cambrian, that's not too likely (but not impossible if plans change).

I think the most likely scenario is in December the Manchester DMU diagrams will continue to be mostly 175s. By the time Spring comes round the other training on MKIVs and Stadlers I mentioned above should be mostly complete, allowing 197 training to take place at Cardiff Crewe Shrewsbury and Carmarthen so we can hopefully see South Wales services move to 197s from next May.

None of this is official, it's just my own personal best guess.
On one hand, I’m pleased the 175’s are staying to boost capacity but I’m a little concerned how this will work at night at Chester depot. The night shift is a nightmare as it is, now throw in a load of 197s into the mix…. It’s going to be chaos.

craigybagel

Established Member
On one hand, I’m pleased the 175’s are staying to boost capacity but I’m a little concerned how this will work at night at Chester depot. The night shift is a nightmare as it is, now throw in a load of 197s into the mix…. It’s going to be chaos.
I think we're going to see a shuffle with more 175s stabling at Crewe overnight instead of Chester. For the Manchester - South Wales diagrams it looks like there's only one unit that comes from Chester in the morning. At the moment it's 4.

Established Member
That's wildly different to what your post appeared to mean! Has one even shown up at all or was that a guess too?
It’s all a guess there, as a lot don’t have numbers and way they park if they did you couldn’t get it.