• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Yes, the introduction seems to have slowed down somewhat, and at the worst time. As soon as we have 3 cars going, and working Holyhead Cardiff in full, the pressure will start to ease slightly on Sprinters and the limited available 175s/MK4s. Ideally we need some on Manchester South Wales too, but that's not planned for months off according to the draft timetables that were released some months back.
I almost hope they're fitting first class to a few so they can concentrate mk4s and 175s on the Manchester route

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Yes, the introduction seems to have slowed down somewhat, and at the worst time. As soon as we have 3 cars going, and working Holyhead Cardiff in full, the pressure will start to ease slightly on Sprinters and the limited available 175s/MK4s. Ideally we need some on Manchester South Wales too, but that's not planned for months off according to the draft timetables that were released some months back.
Still a long way to go with 197 training at Crewe and Cardiff before you can get them on Manchesters. It's a big step up from the numbers needed to cover a few Holyhead - Cardiff's.

Jez

Established Member
I think we are looking at December before they will appear on the Manchester-Milford/Fishguard or wherever they are going in West Wales.

Caaardiff

There was a TfW video posted recently covering the 197 introduction. A South Wales driver training commented that it's hoped they will be in service in South Wales during the summer. That doesn't necessarily mean Marches routes. It could be in and around South Wales routes.

Roger B

On Tuesday (21/03/23) I saw 197003, 197016, 197024, 197102 and 197042 in Gresty Green Sidings (just west of Crewe Gresty Bridge depot).

197002 was trundling around Cardiff in the morning, and there appeared to be a number of 197s in Crewe South Yard.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
There was a TfW video posted recently covering the 197 introduction. A South Wales driver training commented that it's hoped they will be in service in South Wales during the summer. That doesn't necessarily mean Marches routes. It could be in and around South Wales routes.
We are meant to have a few diagrams of Holyhead - Cardiff booked 197 from May. Whether they'll start before that I don't know.

Jez

Established Member
Based on what?
Based on how long it's taken to get around 6 to 8 per day in service at the moment since their introduction in Mid November. Don't forget from May there will be an extra Liverpool to Chester, 2 on Bidston, Crewe.to Chester shuttle, possibly the Shrewsbury to Crewe stopper, Cardiff to Holyhead and some Swanlines apparently. I would be plesantly surprised if many appear in service on the core Manchester to Milford/Fishguard/Carmarthen before December as it is taking quite some time to get them into service fully.

Doveymain158

Based on how long it's taken to get around 6 to 8 per day in service at the moment since their introduction in Mid November. Don't forget from May there will be an extra Liverpool to Chester, 2 on Bidston, Crewe.to Chester shuttle, possibly the Shrewsbury to Crewe stopper, Cardiff to Holyhead and some Swanlines apparently. I would be plesantly surprised if many appear in service on the core Manchester to Milford/Fishguard/Carmarthen before December as it is taking quite some time to get them into service fully.
I might be wrong the Crewe stopper I’d say is a bit iffy as I’m sure Cardiff drivers do some of them. Don’t think there is going to be enough drivers trained to do it. Crewe stopper is a self contained diagram which uses the same unit nearly all day vice versa.

Jez

Established Member
I might be wrong the Crewe stopper I’d say is a bit iffy as I’m sure Cardiff drivers do some of them. Don’t think there is going to be enough drivers trained to do it. Crewe stopper is a self contained diagram which uses the same unit nearly all day vice versa.
Some Cardiff train crew will be trained by May as they are intending doing some Holyhead and Swanline with class 197?

Carmarthen will need to be trained before all Manchester to West Wales can switch to 197.

craigybagel

Established Member
How many Drivers / Guards are we looking at per depot here?
More than what's trained at the moment anyway, put it that way. The two hourly Cardiff - Holyhead service isn't too hard to cover - they're already fine on the Coast section, and it doesn't involve too many drivers for the leg down to Cardiff. The Manchester South Wales gets a lot more complicated since the entire route is longer (once you take into account the West Wales extensions) and none of the depots involved have had all that long for training.
Cardiff do indeed have a small amount of work on the Crewe - Shrewsbury local. No plans for it to go over to 197s any time soon.
How long does it take to fully train each driver on the 197s?
Nominally 5 days - 3 days classroom/static and 2 days handling.

Training has slowed down a little of late however as there haven't been enough units available - all available 197s have been in service to cover for 175s.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
A heads up to Tuesday next week. The freightliner 47 could be on the 197 drag move with 4G97 into Donnington with barriers and 6Q98 with barriers and the 197. Should be bringing out 197043 hopefully.

Jez

Established Member
Any news on any new 197 diagrams or will there be no increase until the May Timetable change? I guess getting them back on Conwy Valley and Liverpool-Chester may be the only thing happening before May.

From May we are supposed to be getting them on all Llandudno-Manchester as well as the 2 routes I mentioned above plus new routes - some of the Wrexham to Bidston, some of the Cardiff-Holyhead, some of the Cardiff-Swansea stoppers and Chester to Crewe shuttle. Is all that still correct?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Any news on any new 197 diagrams or will there be no increase until the May Timetable change? I guess getting them back on Conwy Valley and Liverpool-Chester may be the only thing happening before May.

From May we are supposed to be getting them on all Llandudno-Manchester as well as the 2 routes I mentioned above plus new routes - some of the Wrexham to Bidston, some of the Cardiff-Holyhead, some of the Cardiff-Swansea stoppers and Chester to Crewe shuttle. Is all that still correct?
To us at this stage, it's very very optimistic. They've not even got 101 in service yet which doesn't bode well for the 3 cars. At least 3 x 3car diagrams from May plus spares.

craigybagel

Established Member
Last I heard they were still hoping to introduce extra diagrams, including a new route, from mid April. Whether that actually happens or not, time will tell....

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Recently 197043 left Donnington and went to Crewe and 197029 has been taken by road from Donnington to Newport for mods.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Last I heard they were still hoping to introduce extra diagrams, including a new route, from mid April. Whether that actually happens or not, time will tell....
I suppose if they have enough 2 cars they could be run in multiple in the meantime

Western 52

Just saw a 4 car 197 pass PBY on 5Z03 Landore to Carmarthen. First time I've seen two 197s in multiple in this area. They were running too fast for me to get their numbers.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
**Mr Donnington Update (1/4/23)**
TFW Class 197045 is the recent addition to the line up of 197s and 196 at Donnington Rail Freight Terminal. 15 units in total at the terminal. 14x 197s and 1x 196. IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That's a lot of "work in progress" on somebody's accounts, clocking up debt and storage costs.
I would guess that lot is worth about £40 million at £1 million a coach.
At least the freight terminal is getting some use.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I tried the 197s at long last on Saturday afternoon :D I am very happy to report that I enjoyed my journies, my first being Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Airport on 197015 then later on Manchester Piccadilly to East Didsbury on 197004.

I found the seats comfortable, although the armrests were slightly too low for my preference they would do. I found legroom to be good, and that cupboard next to the cycle space! Wow that thing is HUGE! I could have a rave in there o_O

The power sockets and lavatories I didn't use, so no comment there. The PIS seemed to function well, and the train in general seemed good. I'm looking forward to a longer journey on one when they finally start service on my local route, but I think overall they'll be well received. I liked them, and I'd even be prepared to do Cardiff to Holyhead in one go on one.

Bring on the 197s through Hereford!