• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

childwallblues

Established Member
What is the problem currently with the Chester to Liverpool services? Most if not all were cancelled yesterday, and today at least the first three are showing as cancelled on RTT?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
What is the problem currently with the Chester to Liverpool services? Most if not all were cancelled yesterday, and today at least the first three are showing as cancelled on RTT?
I heard some sort of damage due to the storms in the Frodsham area was delaying things... potentially other areas are damaged too.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Damage to the signal infrastructure at Helsby was the issue in the area yesterday.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I finally got to trying a 197 for a decent length journey today, with 197010 on the 0805 Holyhead to Cardiff Central. I picked it up in Hereford, taking it to journey's end. Below are my views:

- Frustratingly, the non-lavatory coach had dodgy AC so it was quite warm, so I ended up sacrificing my pair of airline seats to sit next to two others at a table in the coach with functional AC.

- Seat comfort, as I expected from my previous short journeys, was absolutely fine, no complaints there.

- Power sockets, as one would hope on such a new train, worked absolutely fine. I didn't try the WiFi, to be honest most of the time I forget trains have it!

- That catering cupboard being directly opposite the cycle space was not helpful, as it made the available space way too narrow. As a direct result, I'm not looking forward to future journeys when I'm travelling with my cycle!

- Why the long pause between Welsh and English announcements? That seemed way too many seconds between the two!

- Also on the PIS, at Newport and Cardiff it kept saying to move forward to leave the train at that station. Of course, this was an error but a silly one.

- Other than that, and the man snorting regularly behind me when I was in the airline seats who also enjoyed cursing about things that didn't need such escalated language, it was a nice ride. I do however feel that the 196s are superior, and the difference when stepping onto a 231 at Central was huge.

I do hope my next journey on a 197 will be better, I'll probably be without a cycle next time. The journey back on the 1855 from Cardiff with an ex-GC MK4 set was so much nicer, it must be said. Here's hoping it won't be too long until the longer 197s enter service!

Attachments

• EF8F7581-8789-4B6F-890B-2272FF92D5AF.jpeg
    EF8F7581-8789-4B6F-890B-2272FF92D5AF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • 89CB722F-B211-4496-AE05-82B89D3B3ED8.jpeg
    89CB722F-B211-4496-AE05-82B89D3B3ED8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
  • E3A949E7-3A9B-4BD2-951C-DDD9677E78A3.jpeg
    E3A949E7-3A9B-4BD2-951C-DDD9677E78A3.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 52A38C6B-E159-43AC-B5B5-608C72FF2222.jpeg
    52A38C6B-E159-43AC-B5B5-608C72FF2222.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 69

L401CJF

Established Member
I finally got to trying a 197 for a decent length journey today, with 197010 on the 0805 Holyhead to Cardiff Central. I picked it up in Hereford, taking it to journey's end. Below are my views:

- Frustratingly, the non-lavatory coach had dodgy AC so it was quite warm, so I ended up sacrificing my pair of airline seats to sit next to two others at a table in the coach with functional AC.

- Seat comfort, as I expected from my previous short journeys, was absolutely fine, no complaints there.

- Power sockets, as one would hope on such a new train, worked absolutely fine. I didn't try the WiFi, to be honest most of the time I forget trains have it!

- That catering cupboard being directly opposite the cycle space was not helpful, as it made the available space way too narrow. As a direct result, I'm not looking forward to future journeys when I'm travelling with my cycle!

- Why the long pause between Welsh and English announcements? That seemed way too many seconds between the two!

- Also on the PIS, at Newport and Cardiff it kept saying to move forward to leave the train at that station. Of course, this was an error but a silly one.

- Other than that, and the man snorting regularly behind me when I was in the airline seats who also enjoyed cursing about things that didn't need such escalated language, it was a nice ride. I do however feel that the 196s are superior, and the difference when stepping onto a 231 at Central was huge.

I do hope my next journey on a 197 will be better, I'll probably be without a cycle next time. The journey back on the 1855 from Cardiff with an ex-GC MK4 set was so much nicer, it must be said. Here's hoping it won't be too long until the longer 197s enter service!
I have noticed in the hot weather recently that the AC is not actually very good. I was on a rather warm one myself today. This is something that train crew have raised and is being looked into I believe.

I tried my first one as a passenger sat in the saloon today (Ive clocked up plenty of miles on them but never sat down yet!) I found them ok, but not the comfiest.

The bike spaces are most often filled with luggage and bikes end up against the doors from my experience - the catering cupboard is a waste of space. I believe it will come into use eventually however so undecided whether its worth the space sacrifice or not yet.

I too have noticed the long pause between English and Welsh announcements. The issue of announcements (being too long and loud) have been raised by numerous passengers aswell as crew and I believe it is being looked into.

I have also noticed it announces to move forward to alight at the next station randomly (even when just a 2 car, but at platforms up to 6 or more coaches would fit on anyway!)

There seems to be some issues when they are booked to attach/detach too, they seem to end up departing late. Todays 1H90 arrived at Chester RT and attached to another 197 in the platform. There seemed to be a lot of faffing around and it eventually left 47 late and got terminated at Piccadilly.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for your insight there, good to see it's not just me being unlucky.

I'll agree that announcements go on way too long, I can't say as much as I noticed it on my two short journeys back on 1st April.

Fingers crossed next time they'll be better on my next journey, which will probably be at some point in July.

william.martin

On Moderation
I too have noticed the long pause between English and Welsh announcements. The issue of announcements (being too long and loud) have been raised by numerous passengers aswell as crew and I believe it is being looked into.
Obviously not the gap between English and Welsh announcements as the 196's don't go to Wales, however they were also plagued with the announcements being way to long and loud - it took a few months to resolve it however and it was in January when the trains had been running for three months.

sd0733

Established Member
Crewe-Shrewsbury test runs were carried out again yesterday using a 4 car set, all went as planned fixing the ASDO faults which will mean Manchester-Cardiff will be fully signed off.

Looks promising for acceptance of around 30 fully tested units within the next few days.

Envoy

Established Member
On June 14, 197010 worked the 8.05 from Holyhead to Cardiff. See my 2 photos of it below on The Marches between Hereford and Abergavenny.

Attachments

• 197010  AT LLANFIHANGEL CRUCORNEY.jpeg
    197010 AT LLANFIHANGEL CRUCORNEY.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 197010  & SKIRRID MOUNTAIN.jpeg
    197010 & SKIRRID MOUNTAIN.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 76

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Crewe-Shrewsbury test runs were carried out again yesterday using a 4 car set, all went as planned fixing the ASDO faults which will mean Manchester-Cardiff will be fully signed off.

Looks promising for acceptance of around 30 fully tested units within the next few days.
Good lord that's huge! I really hope that does happen, it will really boost services!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
On June 14, 197010 worked the 8.05 from Holyhead to Cardiff. See my 2 photos of it below on The Marches between Hereford and Abergavenny.

Stunning photos! :wub:

I was on that yesterday myself :) I'm guessing you'd have had to drive realistically to get to that spot?

Jez

Established Member

That's brilliant news. Can we expect any West of Cardiff anytime soon or does that need to be signed off ?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Thirty more, or thirty in total including the current in service?

That's brilliant news. Can we expect any West of Cardiff anytime soon or does that need to be signed off ?
I mean at the moment, they don't have enough trained drivers to run their Holyhead Cardiff diagrams reliably yet, so is it a good idea to start there too anytime soon?

Jez

Established Member

I mean at the moment, they don't have enough trained drivers to run their Holyhead Cardiff diagrams reliably yet, so is it a good idea to start there too anytime soon?
True. But they may turn up if there are drivers available and it's been signed off for passenger service.

It's all good progress though as hopefully the majority of services east of Cardiff along the Marches could be 197s and if a MK4 fails then hopefully they would replace it with a 197 not a Sprinter.

Envoy

Established Member
Stunning photos! :wub:

I was on that yesterday myself :) I'm guessing you'd have had to drive realistically to get to that spot?
I am by the Dirt Farm Mountain Bike place on the southern flanks of the Black Mountains. I was in the area in any case so made a detour to get those photos as I was guaranteed fine weather. As it is mid summer, the sun was high in the sky - which was fortunate as I am looking south in the middle of the day. Don't think that black Mk4 set would show up very well in the countryside - big mistake TfW if you are reading this! (One passed just as I arrived with the 67 working hard at the summit).

Last edited:

Caaardiff

Does each unit have to do the fault free mileage before acceptance? I've heard of all the training runs being done but not seen or heard of much testing before acceptance.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Does each unit have to do the fault free mileage before acceptance? I've heard of all the training runs being done but not seen or heard of much testing before acceptance.
Yes they do, not sure how many but they're usually on 3Qxx paths from Crewe to Llandudno Junc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I am by the Dirt Farm Mountain Bike place on the southern flanks of the Black Mountains. I was in the area in any case so made a detour to get those photos as I was guaranteed fine weather. As it is mid summer, the sun was high in the sky - which was fortunate as I am looking south in the middle of the day. Don't think that black Mk4 set would show up very well in the countryside - big mistake TfW if you are reading this! (One passed just as I arrived with the 67 working hard a the summit).

Ah yes I've been in that approximate location before. Never been to the mountain bike place, but close to it. I can imagine that in weather like this then the view from Skirrid Fawr would be incredible!

Thanks for the heads-up on the location :) There was a northbound black MK4 set with a red 67 on the 1049 from Cardiff to Manchester, if that's the one you saw. 67010 being the 67 in case you were wondering, 82201 up the front 8-)

Jez

Established Member
There are 2 x 175s on Holyhead-Cardiff workings today so those 2 could certainly be switched over to 197s soon freeing up the 2 175s for Manchester services. Every new one introduced is on paper one less Sprinter on long distance routes.

sd0733

Established Member

30 more, its actually 38 extras. They won't enter service immediately as will need some maintenance after being stored waiting acceptance as they're still CAF property so can't be done before. There's also some 3 cars included.

Lots of faults on the in service ones so hopefully can be fixed before sending extra diagrams out.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
30 more, its actually 38 extras. They won't enter service immediately as will need some maintenance after being stored waiting acceptance as they're still CAF property so can't be done before. There's also some 3 cars included.

Lots of faults on the in service ones so hopefully can be fixed before sending extra diagrams out.

Thanks for the inside scoop :) This is certainly promising news, I can only imagine the challenges the fleet teams must be facing at the moment.

The imminent arrival of 197/1s in service is definitely good news, a long time coming but worth the wait hopefully.

Not that I'm quite ready to say farewell to the 175s yet, of course, but it looks like there will be a need to do just that soon!

I think they need the 197s asap

Correct. There's a large black banner in the passageway at Cardiff Queen Street proclaiming all new trains will be in service in 2023. That might be a rather out of date banner!

I see the 1322 from Holyhead was cancelled south of Chester, but the 0805 Holyhead to Cardiff seems a more reliable service, given every day this week that's been a 197. RTT reports it was 197006, I didn't get out in time to confirm that, and will be at work soon after it leaves Cardiff so won't be able to check it.

sd0733

Established Member
Bit of a humble pie backtrack on an earlier post!
The 38 figure is actually the total number of units expected to accepted very soon.
The fleet should then have 27 2 cars and 11 3s. Some of the 3 cars are currently at Wolverton for mods but are expected back soon.
Apologies for the incorrect info.

4 cars is the maximum in service at the moment but a series of runs to sign ooff 5 car operation will happen in the next few weeks, until then everything will be 2,3 or 4 car formations.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Bit of a humble pie backtrack on an earlier post!
The 38 figure is actually the total number of units expected to accepted very soon.
The fleet should then have 27 2 cars and 11 3s. Some of the 3 cars are currently at Wolverton for mods but are expected back soon.
Apologies for the incorrect info.

4 cars is the maximum in service at the moment but a series of runs to sign off 5 car operation will happen in the next few weeks, until then everything will be 2,3 or 4 car formations.
Think you mean 26 2s and 12 3s according to my notes :).