• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Standard Plus was effectively a way of using the area as an upgrade only section as having no wheelchair space means it can't be used as proper First class
I wonder if they couldn't have replaced the catering cupboard with the wheelchair space. On 150s they manage to shove the trolley in the vestibule or in the aisle at the cab end to avoid passenger inconvenience.

I'd happily pay a first upgrade to sit in what the IETs use in their first class section plus free trolley catering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I wonder if they couldn't have replaced the catering cupboard with the wheelchair space. On 150s they manage to shove the trolley in the vestibule or in the aisle at the cab end to avoid passenger inconvenience.
The wheelchair spaces, accessible toilet and catering cupboard are all in the same carriage, at the opposite end of the train to 'Standard Plus' area. Even if you could somehow get a wheelchair space into the 'Standard Plus' area there is still no toilet in that carriage (not even a 'space saver', which wouldn't be wheelchair-friendly anyway).

Lurcheroo

I'd happily pay a first upgrade to sit in what the IETs use in their first class section plus free trolley catering.

The wheelchair spaces, accessible toilet and catering cupboard are all in the same carriage, at the opposite end of the train to 'Standard Plus' area. Even if you could somehow get a wheelchair space into the 'Standard Plus' area there is still no toilet in that carriage (not even a 'space saver', which wouldn't be wheelchair-friendly anyway).
Additionally, it has been said that the catering cupboard now can not be removed as it’s part of the structure.

childwallblues

Established Member
By the end of January it's planned (or at least hoped!) for some 197s on Maesteg-Cheltenham diagrams to allow the 150s to go back onto the Treherbert line when that reopens.

From that point very few 150s will be planned on the mainline as they'll be required on the Valleys so anything not 197 will likely be booked a pair of 153s or occasional 158s.

An hourly service again today on Chester-Lime Street with 197008 and 197051 doing the honours. 197051 was ny final new sighting 0f 2023

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
197115 is finishing at Holyhead today after yet another waste of it's Standard Premium area on Llandudno Manchester. Does this mean, at long, long last, it'll be working Cardiffs tomorrow when I'm actually in the city? :D

sd0733

Established Member
197115 is finishing at Holyhead today after yet another waste of it's Standard Premium area on Llandudno Manchester. Does this mean, at long, long last, it'll be working Cardiffs tomorrow when I'm actually in the city? :D
It's finished in Crewe and is down to work 'Mk4 cover' working 6:27 from Manchester, 12:49 from Cardiff, 16:30 from Manchester.

Standard Plus doesn't exist yet on any route so it doesn't make much difference what it's on yet as it's just declassified anyway

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It's finished in Crewe and is down to work 'Mk4 cover' working 6:27 from Manchester, 12:49 from Cardiff, 16:30 from Manchester.

Standard Plus doesn't exist yet on any route so it doesn't make much difference what it's on yet as it's just declassified anyway
I’ve planned to go to Birmingham now so I’ll miss it :lol: At least should finish in Canton which gives me scope for Thursday. Ta!

Jez

Established Member

Ooh if its on 1630 from Manchester I may be able.to get it if it ends up going all.the way to Swansea as per that diagram. I'd like to see the standard plus carriage even if it isn't in service as that yet.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Thr 17:30 from Manchester should be a pair of 197s today. Let's hope that remains the case, then 5-6 car later in the year.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Until you run into a catering host who wants to have their own private space by claiming it's 1st class and nobody can sit in there

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Until you run into a catering host who wants to have their own private space by claiming it's 1st class and nobody can sit in there
Please, please write in and complain about that. This sort of behaviour needs to be nipped in the bud.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Honestly it just gets more disgusting by the day.

Four TfW with ticket machines slung on their shoulder waiting on the platform for the 12:49 197/1B operated service to Manchester. I ask them if I have the right platform for Manchester and if they know which end the standard premium end will be. The one nearest to me, who was originally with her back to me, turned round and said “have you got a standard premium ticket?”

I said, “No, but you’re not selling them yet, right? I was more interested in looking-“

She cut me off and said “Then it doesn’t matter which end, does it.” Turned her back to me again and struck up a new conversation with her colleagues. Part of me wondered if she’d been trying to be funny, but it didn’t come across that way, her face was deadpan serious! The guard (who’d been on the platform with her) came through to check my ticket and did apologise profusely when I told him I wasn’t thrilled.

-

Anyway. 197115’s Standard Premium area is lovely and could very well be simply “First Class” were it equipped with the necessary accessible toilets this end of the train, the lamps are absolutely perfect.

Much as I love leather furnishings the headrest pushes my head forward a bit much and I think it’s a shame they didn’t cover the whole seat in leather and then lose the headrest, which would certainly make it a similar style to the MK4 offering. The firm, generous wings of the seat will be amazing for when I need to take early morning trips, and what with there being seats both sides of the door there is plenty of space.

Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before.

Attachments

• IMG_6792.jpeg
    IMG_6792.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6791.jpeg
    IMG_6791.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_6794.jpeg
    IMG_6794.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6795.jpeg
    IMG_6795.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before
We had a retail brief sent out explaining not to sell the upgrade or enforce the upgrade until further notice while signage is sorted so in theory shouldn't be the case.

I've worked the unit a couple of times and just explained to people sitting there that it will be a "premium upgrade" when its rolled out properly and explained how the upgrade will work.

Regarding earlier comments about catering staff blocking the area, they have no authority to do so - even more so as its declassified anyway - make a complaint or speak to the guard!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Anyway, things are getting better. Only ONE Manchester to Cardiff service is a Sprinter today, this being the 19:30, everything else is 197 or MK4. And no Holyhead Cardiffs are Sprinters.

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Anyway, things are getting better. Only ONE Manchester to Cardiff service is a Sprinter today, this being the 19:30, everything else is 197 or MK4. And no Holyhead Cardiffs are Sprinters.
That's likely to swap anyway as booked to split at Manchester for the 19:30 and 20:30. The other split for the 21:30 and 22:32 currently a 158+197 combo so there'll be some swapping around prior to those leaving Cardiff!

Jamesrob637

Established Member

We will enjoy some cooling air on board all Manchester to Wales trains this summer, and unlike much of summer 2023 it will be a good summer with only a few rainy days, not June and September summer and the rest feeling like late-Spring and early-Autumn respectively.

Showing as the booked 3 car now

Even that extra carriage will go some way to relieve the pressure.

Lurcheroo

Four TfW with ticket machines slung on their shoulder waiting on the platform for the 12:49 197/1B operated service to Manchester. I ask them if I have the right platform for Manchester and if they know which end the standard premium end will be. The one nearest to me, who was originally with her back to me, turned round and said “have you got a standard premium ticket?”

I said, “No, but you’re not selling them yet, right? I was more interested in looking-“

She cut me off and said “Then it doesn’t matter which end, does it.” Turned her back to me again and struck up a new conversation with her colleagues. Part of me wondered if she’d been trying to be funny, but it didn’t come across that way, her face was deadpan serious! The guard (who’d been on the platform with her) came through to check my ticket and did apologise profusely when I told him I wasn’t thrilled.

-

Anyway. 197115’s Standard Premium area is lovely and could very well be simply “First Class” were it equipped with the necessary accessible toilets this end of the train, the lamps are absolutely perfect.

Much as I love leather furnishings the headrest pushes my head forward a bit much and I think it’s a shame they didn’t cover the whole seat in leather and then lose the headrest, which would certainly make it a similar style to the MK4 offering. The firm, generous wings of the seat will be amazing for when I need to take early morning trips, and what with there being seats both sides of the door there is plenty of space.

Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before.
Not willing to put a complaint in though. It’s often not about any one individual’s complaint, but if there is a series of complaints, something might get done.

I’m not really one for chasing units but I’m secretly hoping that 115 ends up on the 05:12 CDF-HHD tomorrow as that usually runs as a 3 car 197 and I’m keen to try out the bigger seats

Jamesrob637

Established Member
That's likely to swap anyway as booked to split at Manchester for the 19:30 and 20:30. The other split for the 21:30 and 22:32 currently a 158+197 combo so there'll be some swapping around prior to those leaving Cardiff!

What's on the 13:03 Milford Haven to Manchester today? RTT said earlier that it was a 5-car, now there's nothing on it whatsoever and nothing on Journey Check either.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not willing to put a complaint in though. It’s often not about any one individual’s complaint, but if there is a series of complaints, something might get done.

I’m not really one for chasing units but I’m secretly hoping that 115 ends up on the 05:12 CDF-HHD tomorrow as that usually runs as a 3 car 197 and I’m keen to try out the bigger seats
Something really awful happened to me on a TfW train, and I was basically accused by a Kieron Tucker of making it up after six months of waiting for a response, so I’m not sure complaints are actually taken very seriously. You can DM me if you want more information on that because I’d better not take the thread of topic :)

Lurcheroo

We will enjoy some cooling air on board all Manchester to Wales trains this summer
This is where the 197’s are going to making such a difference for me. I hate summer train travel on non-AC units. Even with opening windows it’s not that much better.

A huge number of people complain about lack of A/C on the Cambrian in summer time and then when new trains are being introduced that should have good A/C, those some people say they don’t want them (for other reasons of course).

Lurcheroo

-

I’m not really one for chasing units but I’m secretly hoping that 115 ends up on the 05:12 from Cardiff tomorrow as that seems to have been running as a 3 car quite consistently. But we shall see.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member

sd0733

Established Member
Do we know which one, and why?
There was a very similar path in earlier which got cancelled but was shown as allocated 197012 so presume its that one which has gone this afternoon. Currently showing as Crewe South Yard having come from Chester so seems a Likely candidate.

Can't help on the why