• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Think that may be an error... it's only showing 019 on the inbound.
It's not - 110 was the unit that stabled overnight in Piccadilly off the last arrival from Chester last night. It's normally a 158 that attaches to another Sprinter that comes up from Cardiff on the Sunday.

Jez

Established Member
I noticed this morning the first Swansea to Manchester was a 197 rather than the usual.combination of various Sprinters. So it could attach to the 197 for the return working at 1330. Eventually they will all have to be 197s on a Sunday aside from the two booked MK4.

Edit - sorry just seen posts above that the attachment won't be happening as it would be 5 car then which isn't permitted currently

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
It's not - 110 was the unit that stabled overnight in Piccadilly off the last arrival from Chester last night. It's normally a 158 that attaches to another Sprinter that comes up from Cardiff on the Sunday.
That makes sense, didn't realise one stabled overnight!

craigybagel

Established Member
That makes sense, didn't realise one stabled overnight!
Yeah, it's been going on for years - but it's only on a Saturday night however. The service the unit attaches to on the Sunday has changed over the years, but there's always been a unit stabled overnight for at least the last 10 years. A Crewe driver travels up to Manchester on the Saturday night to do the shunt over from Platform 13 as Chester drivers don't sign the main shed anymore.

sd0733

Established Member
A full 197 diagram starts on Maesteg-Cheltenham tomorrow:
06:35 Bridgend-Cheltenham
08:46 Cheltenham-Maesteg
11:13 Maesteg-Cheltenham
13:45 Cheltenham-Maesteg
16:13 Maesteg-Cheltenham
18:46 Cheltenham-Maesteg
21:12 Maesteg-Cardiff

It is booked but as with everything else, In reality something else could still show up.

TDK

Established Member
Yes an ETCS 197 has done a number of testing runs (at night time) on the Cambrian line. Another set of test runs is booked in for Early March.
If I remember correctly, the day after the upgrade, all 158 services ran on the Cambrian but with no passengers and bus replacements were in place for all passenger journeys.
Wether I’m not 158’s and 197’s will run in the Cambrian simultaneously is yet to be seen. The plan was to swap from 158’s to 197’s overnight, then it was to have them running together in a 3 stage change over and the latest plan is back to swapping overnight.
That may have training issues as the staff on the Cambrian only sign the Cambrian, unless there is a service up there or multiple trains running there won't be enough staff trained to run a 197 dedicated service.

BillStampy

A full 197 diagram starts on Maesteg-Cheltenham tomorrow:
06:35 Bridgend-Cheltenham
08:46 Cheltenham-Maesteg
11:13 Maesteg-Cheltenham
13:45 Cheltenham-Maesteg
16:13 Maesteg-Cheltenham
18:46 Cheltenham-Maesteg
21:12 Maesteg-Cardiff

It is booked but as with everything else, In reality something else could still show up.
I was expecting this, with Bridgend to Cheltenham being Bridgend - Cheltenham Spa AND Holyhead, supposing it would be doubled up to Cardiff or would something just come out of Canton instead?

sd0733

Established Member
I was expecting this, with Bridgend to Cheltenham being Bridgend - Cheltenham Spa AND Holyhead, supposing it would be doubled up to Cardiff or would something just come out of Canton instead?
That's not what the diagrams show, the Cheltenham runs as a single throughout and the Holyhead us formed off a set fresh from Canton. Not sure where the RTT Cheltenham and Holyhead comes in!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That's not what the diagrams show, the Cheltenham runs as a single throughout and the Holyhead us formed off a set fresh from Canton. Not sure where the RTT Cheltenham and Holyhead comes in!
It keeps doing similar for GWR, in that “Portsmouth Harbour & Gloucester” shows for services where a 165 is detached off of the Portsmouth 166 at Bristol and then goes onto form a Gloucester service an hour later, oddly.

Lurcheroo

That may have training issues as the staff on the Cambrian only sign the Cambrian, unless there is a service up there or multiple trains running there won't be enough staff trained to run a 197 dedicated service.
Conductors sign Birmingham so they will be getting training so they can work them to Birmingham.
Drivers only sign the Cambrian but they will all be getting trained prior to them entering service on the Cambrian so should be no issues train crew wise.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Conductors sign Birmingham so they will be getting training so they can work them to Birmingham.
Drivers only sign the Cambrian but they will all be getting trained prior to them entering service on the Cambrian so should be no issues train crew wise.
115 is currently booked to Birmingham tomorrow as it happens, so will be swapped for a 158 at Chester.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Four are required for a consistent hourly through service. You could get away with three by retaining the odd gaps in Cheltenhams and terminating several Maesteg services at Cardiff Central.
The current service, with a few gaps at the Cheltenham end, requires four units. Hourly from Maesteg through to Cheltenham requires five units because it's a five hour round trip, two hours Cardiff to Maesteg and three hours Cardiff to Cheltenham.

Last edited:

BillStampy

The current service, with a few gaps at the Cheltenham end, requires four units. Hourly from Maesteg through to Cheltenham requires five units because it's a five hour round trip, two hours Cardiff to Maesteg and three hours Cardiff to Cheltenham.
There is due the timetable change mid-late March where it becomes purely Maesteg to Cheltenham/Gloucester. So 5 will be required then instead of the usual 4

Very bizarre then, RTT just being RTT I suppose?

Topological

I am confident a 150 will go to Manchester on a day when a 197 is doing something that a 150 could do in the Cardiff area.

We used to get 3 car 175s regularly and for the last year...

paddyb6

115 is currently booked to Birmingham tomorrow as it happens, so will be swapped for a 158 at Chester.
Can they go to Birmingham? Then be swapped at Shrewsbury on the return to Aber? Similar to what 150s/153s do currently?

craigybagel

Established Member
I am confident a 150 will go to Manchester on a day when a 197 is doing something that a 150 could do in the Cardiff area.

We used to get 3 car 175s regularly and for the last year...
If it happens, there will be a good reason. It's not just done for the sake of it.
Can they go to Birmingham? Then be swapped at Shrewsbury on the return to Aber? Similar to what 150s/153s do currently?
Not cleared to Birmingham yet.

ATP

Just was on 019, good to see standards of quality control

Attachments

• IMG_6376.jpeg
    IMG_6376.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6375.jpeg
    IMG_6375.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 160

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Just was on 019, good to see standards of quality control
Crickey. I would assume the top (green) button is open but how quickly would I figure that out without reference to the first picture.

I can imagine that sending people dashing through the coach in a panic to find another door.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Crickey. I would assume the top (green) button is open but how quickly would I figure that out without reference to the first picture.

I can imagine that sending people dashing through the coach in a panic to find another door.
I wish they'd label them 'Open' and 'Close' (plus the Welsh equivalents as its TfW). By all means keep the existing tactile symbols for the visually impaired or those unable to read English and Welsh.