• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Bill57p9

Road Replacement Travel arrangements: We will transfer all guests from Fort William, Rannoch & Bridge of Orchy to Dundee at the scheduled departure time to join the Aberdeen service southbound to London Euston. Guests booked from Dalmuir, Garelochhead & Helensburgh Upper should travel to Edinburgh Waverley via Scotrail services using their Caledonian Sleeper ticket where they will join the train in their booked accommodation. There will be no change to guest arrival into London.

Transporting passengers by coach from Fort William & Bridge of Orchy makes sense. They must have a number of bookings from Rannoch as that will take some logistics.

The CS disruption site is now stating that service will resume 19 June but with severe speed restrictions, hence rescheduled service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Road Replacement Travel arrangements: We will transfer all guests from Fort William, Rannoch & Bridge of Orchy to Dundee at the scheduled departure time to join the Aberdeen service southbound to London Euston. Guests booked from Dalmuir, Garelochhead & Helensburgh Upper should travel to Edinburgh Waverley via Scotrail services using their Caledonian Sleeper ticket where they will join the train in their booked accommodation. There will be no change to guest arrival into London.

Transporting passengers by coach from Fort William & Bridge of Orchy makes sense. They must have a number of bookings from Rannoch as that will take some logistics.
Rannoch potentially fairly straightforward by Taxi - albeit the nearest Taxi may well be some miles from Rannoch.

'Bridge of Orchy' - perhaps on the night nobody booked from Tyndrum or Crianlarich both of course on the route. Likewise presumably nobody booked from Ardlui Arrochar or Dumbarton.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Does anyone know where in Euston the Sleeper lounge is going to be ? Have there been any construction photos ?
It's half way along platform 1, but completely hoarded off, not even with any of the viewing holes that you normally find on site hoardings, so no photos are possible unless any official ones are released at some point.

Sleepy

Established Member
Classic customers are standard class. And as bowled out earlier in the thread, only club is marketed as a hotel experience. I believe standard class users of the CS can buy a shower token to use the facilities as Euston if they wish.
At least GWR will let all berth users into the lounge at Paddington. Showers at Penzance introduced a few years ago are a great improvement.

Sealink

From the CS website.
It's a sausage roll and baked beans isn't it? :D

Attachments

• SR.png
    SR.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 246

InOban

Established Member
I sincerely hope that, as far as possible, they use the much finer, publicly owned, supply from Scottish Water. None of your Sassenach recycled p**.

JamieL

CS in public ownership.
It is going to be interesting to see what changes as a result. Personally, I think the CS has been a pretty good offering overall. The catering options are unduly fancy IMHO but they cater to tourists who are probably the ones more likely to spend the evening in the Club Car. Crucially the quality and cleanliness of the cabins is always superb and the niceties offered (bottled water etc) are welcome. The reception team are always fairly efficient and helpful whether embarking at a terminal or a local station. Hopefully the new operator can sustain the high bar currently set.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It is going to be interesting to see what changes as a result.
Not a lot at first, although it'll be interesting to see if e.g. the call centre is maintained as a separate entity or it gets lumped in with Scotrail's general enquiries line.

GordonT

Not a lot at first, although it'll be interesting to see if e.g. the call centre is maintained as a separate entity or it gets lumped in with Scotrail's general enquiries line.
They will be within the scope of Freedom of Information legislation.

jagardner1984

They will be within the scope of Freedom of Information legislation.
How many nanoseconds after 0200 did the press, sensing a ferry debacle, ask about relevant subsidies per passenger travelled, cost per staff hour; and other such headline generating statistics.

An interesting side query - from previous OLR transfers - I imagine the 2am transfer time made sense as after the income generating activities finish one day and before they commence the next (obviously maintenance activities ongoing pretty much 24/7) as a neat way of sealing off Serco’s activities and starting of OLR’s activities. However 2am Sunday is obviously the only day CS wouldn’t be running a service at that time - have other transfers also happened then or is it coincidence ? Makes you wonder how it plays out if the Ex operator dispatches a service late due to TOC error - but arrives post the transfer time and OLR pick up the delay repay - how this is all calculated ? Or perhaps given the “basket case” economics of various transferring franchises, a few refunds here and there for the taxpayer to additionally pick up are comparatively small fry.

jagardner1984

I give it 18 months tops before it is considered bad value for the taxpayer as it is bringing Scott rails figures down and is scrapped completely and forever
Which would be a shame - and cut off a number of places from a direct London service for the first time. Given it still seems to be largely full - particularly in the peak - I would suggest significant price gouging will occur first.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
However 2am Sunday is obviously the only day CS wouldn’t be running a service at that time - have other transfers also happened then or is it coincidence ?

Yes, transfers typically happen at 0200 on the first Sunday of a Railway financial reporting period, which tomorrow is.

PG

Established Member
I give it 18 months tops before it is considered bad value for the taxpayer as it is bringing Scott rails figures down and is scrapped completely and forever
I can't see that happening, certainly not that quickly. For one thing theres 75 Mk5s with circa 30 years left on them which are being paid for by the public purse. While the Night Riviera might, at some point, want newer stock they won't need the whole lot. If the fleet hadn't been replaced and it was still Mk3s running then shutting up shop may well have been on the cards but I don't think that is what will happen.

JamieL

I guess you don't follow Scottish politics then? The CS is regarded as an important link for key SNP voting areas.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
On the contrary I follow it keenly and and basing my opinions above on the absolute car crash that has been the fit for the future timetable on the regular ScotRail network, based on an awful lot of quite often inaccurate assumptions on working and travel patterns and on figures collected in the middle of a bloody pandemic. Purely on this evidence alone the sleeper hasn't got a hope in hell and surely they will kill it quickly so that they can find the money it uses to give to a certain shipyard who will then make it magically disappear and ask for more.

On the other hand if they can indeed see as has been pointed out that it is still very important to them in certain key areas not least encouraging their mass tourism dreams which may or may not be sufficient in lucrative to fund future projects such as independence then yes it has a good chance of survival and rightly so.

I'm not going to go any further as I don't want to drift the thread away from the core topic. It will be interesting to see how the whole thing is handled operationally as we go forward and now that they are slightly more directly responsible and accountable for it if they listen to the views of those of us and there are good few in this category who want to be able to use it as a viable affordable option for overnight travel between particularly rural Scotland and London and not as a five-star hotel on wheels