• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a 14 year old British student be a fluent German speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

102 fan

Some more information would be useful, are they in a bilingual household, in that case it would be expected.

If not if someone is keen enough then its perfectly possible. Of course being able to speak a language "fluently" for an exam is not the same as being natively fluent.

Sorry, I shoud of saud more. To the best of my knowledge, neither parent speaks a foreign language, and German isn't taught in Primary schools here.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Sorry, I shoud of saud more. To the best of my knowledge, neither parent speaks a foreign language, and German isn't taught in Primary schools here.
Cool, they could just have a gift for languages. I used to know someone who could speak 7 languages at a good standard (and a few more could get by in). I can barely speak English.

baz962

Established Member
Might as well ask here. Does anyone have an opinion on the best language lessons to take. I have literally been talking to friends and colleagues about learning a language quite recently.

Gloster

Established Member
I have no idea of which is the best course, but if you want to speak a language reasonably well, get a basic but solid grounding in the grammar first. Don’t chose one that fills you with lots of fixed phrases and interesting words, but only slowly introduces the grammar. Build your foundations before you add the decorations. (Most of my languages were learnt by what is now called (I think) ‘immersion’, but was called ‘living there’. But I had studied the basics of the grammar first.)

jfollows

Established Member
Might as well ask here. Does anyone have an opinion on the best language lessons to take. I have literally been talking to friends and colleagues about learning a language quite recently.
Do you mean "which language" or "which type of course"?

To the original question, and it's not the same for sure, but
  • my husband is bilingual in (Mexican) Spanish and (American) English because he moved from Mexico to America at an early age
  • my nephews are bilingual in Greek and English because they moved to Rhodes from Reading in 2013
Both because of "immersion" in the new language of course, not the same as the original question asked here. My nephews are funny because they now talk to each other in Greek rather than in English, although at home I imagine they use English exclusively, they go to school in Rhodes and speak Greek all the time there.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I am currently using Linguaphone full course to learn Spanish and I am finding it quite good.

baz962

Established Member
Do you mean "which language" or "which type of course"?

To the original question, and it's not the same for sure, but
  • my husband is bilingual in (Mexican) Spanish and (American) Englsih because he moved from Mexico to America at an early age
  • my nephews are bilingual in Greek and English because they moved to Rhodes from Reading in 2013
Both because of "immersion" in the new language of course, not the same as the original question asked here. My nephews are funny because they now talk to each other in Greek rather than in English, although at home I imagine they use English exclusively, they go to school in Rhodes and speak Greek all the time there.
Which actual course.

I am currently using Linguaphone full course to learn Spanish and I am finding it quite good.
Linguaphone . I will have a look. Thanks.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Back to the OP's question, sure.
There was a girl at my high school who was near-fluent in German having previously lived on an British Army Base in Germany. At sixth-form one of the lads in my A-level class had a German mother so was also fluent. Slightly cheating to get an A-level for a foreign language that isn't foreign to you, but if I'd been in that situation I'd have done the same!

bspahh

Established Member
What do you want to be able to do with the language?

Its a lot easier to learn vocabulary if you are really interested in the text. I spent 6 months working in Germany, and quickly learned the vocabulary to get most of the facts from magazines on motor sport. I wasn't interested in understanding political discussions on the TV, so I never learnt to do that.

For conversations, you need to learn the basics of grammar, but then learn phrases, rather than spending 30 seconds to come up with a perfect grammatical sentence. If you try to do that, people will speak to you in English, and you won't get to practice speaking the language for yourself. A native speaker might correct grammatical errors, or laugh at them, but they can't do anything if you are silent, whilst you construct a sentence.

westv

Established Member
If the course I am using had suggested filling my head with grammar first then I might have given it up as far too boring.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Which actual course.

Linguaphone . I will have a look. Thanks.
I bought the Linguaphone course back in the early 1980s.

If it's still the same format, the 30 chapter set is a good basis, but I don't know what the price is these days - it was definitely expensive back in my time - I think it was £120 or so ..... It's a nice basis, but don't believe the marketing spiel - you won't be speaking fluently if you complete the course, and that alone. That is nonsense. There is much more to do than that.

ps back in the 1970s the BBC used to do cassette tape courses. I did the Spanish course to about Chapter 12 or so - FAR better value than the Linguaphone course.

Gloster

Established Member
Going back to the original post. Who has made the judgement that the daughter speaks fluent German? Is it the opinion of the parents, who don’t speak German and so can’t tell, or could it be a third party who could be being honest or could be being polite?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Going back to the original post. Who has made the judgement that the daughter speaks fluent German? Is it the opinion of the parents, who don’t speak German and so can’t tell, or could it be a third party who could be being honest or could be being polite?
Absolutely agree with this. And from personal experience. Twice over.
Way back in 1970, when chasing 141Rs in northern France (hey, this is a railway group, after all) I went over to the Calais-Boulogne-Amiens route with a pal who spoke no French whatsoever.

I was a low-grade O level from two years earlier, and frankly, a genuine "School-boy" French speaker. But my pal was awfully impressed with my hamfisted efforts - we certainly got by and had some fun.

A similar thing happened about 8 years ago in a small town in Austria, with another friend (who is genuinely good at languages, but not German). I know my German is awful these days - but he too was impressed, and told me so.

The problem is, in the land of the blind, even the one-eyed with a squint can be king.

Again, I'm not saying this young lady isn't fluent - just be careful who is making the judgement.

richw

Veteran Member
German was for me the easiest language I learnt. At 14 I wasn’t fluent but could hold a conversation and have enough understanding to get by on trips to Germany. I got a B at GCSE

westv

Established Member
I bought the Linguaphone course back in the early 1980s.

If it's still the same format, the 30 chapter set is a good basis, but I don't know what the price is these days - it was definitely expensive back in my time - I think it was £120 or so ..... It's a nice basis, but don't believe the marketing spiel - you won't be speaking fluently if you complete the course, and that alone. That is nonsense. There is much more to do than that.

ps back in the 1970s the BBC used to do cassette tape courses. I did the Spanish course to about Chapter 12 or so - FAR better value than the Linguaphone course.
I used the Linguaphone course in the 80s and the current version is totally different. Well it is different online anyway.

miklcct

On Moderation
It's like any other skill, it takes practice and patience; most of all, an actual interest in and a desire to learn a language is necessary.

I learned French up to Standard Grade level and regret not taking it further. In my case I couldn't fit it around the other subjects I wanted to do for Highers. My skills would be very rusty if I visited France now, but I'd like to think that I would have retained the basics. I believe that kids start learning other languages much earlier these days; my niece started quite early on in primary school, for example.

It's entirely possible for kids to be fluent in more than one language without learning another at school, either by being exposed to indigenous languages from this country, or by having immigrant family members whose first language is not English.

Sadly, too many people think it's unnecessary to learn foreign languages because they expect to be able to speak English when (if) they go abroad. Not bothering to learn even basic phrases in the language of a country you're visiting is incredibly arrogant, in my opinion. Knowing bits of other languages can be incredibly useful, even if you don't intend to go abroad.

I intend to start brushing up on my French soon, and I'm considering getting to know some basic German soon. It has never been easier with the wide array of apps available, and there's plenty of foreign language media around too -'just have a look at the Walter Presents collection on All4 for starters.
Unfortunately I have no foreign language education as well, as a result I don't speak other languages than those officially used in Hong Kong (that is Chinese and English).

I once had a desire to learn Swedish in anticipation of a possible working holiday in Sweden, but there were no formal language schools in Hong Kong except as a part of a university degree (which I regret not taking it as the elective courses for my degree - at that time I was interested in Japanese but the Japanese courses were not open to non-major / minor students, unlike the Swedish ones - and I ended up taking random computer science courses to fill in the credits instead).

However, I didn't have enough exposure to it to get to a functional level (as I don't have any Nordic ties so what happens on the news in Sweden / Finland make no sense to me at all, while Nordic entertainment is basically unheard of), and not long after I started learning I changed my mind and hoped for a working holiday in the UK instead (which offers 2 years instead of 1 in Sweden, which can result in more career development opportunities for a software developer, and the familiarity of English and British culture is also in my favour as well) and now I no longer study it any more.

I don't really know how foreign language education works elsewhere in the world - how do people gain exposure in the languages. And I really don't have the courage to move to a country where only foreign languages are used (e.g. Finland).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Absolutely agree with this. And from personal experience. Twice over.
Way back in 1970, when chasing 141Rs in northern France (hey, this is a railway group, after all) I went over to the Calais-Boulogne-Amiens route with a pal who spoke no French whatsoever.

I was a low-grade O level from two years earlier, and frankly, a genuine "School-boy" French speaker. But my pal was awfully impressed with my hamfisted efforts - we certainly got by and had some fun.

A similar thing happened about 8 years ago in a small town in Austria, with another friend (who is genuinely good at languages, but not German). I know my German is awful these days - but he too was impressed, and told me so.

The problem is, in the land of the blind, even the one-eyed with a squint can be king.

Again, I'm not saying this young lady isn't fluent - just be careful who is making the judgement.
The stereotype of the French is that if you try to speak it but make a mistake, they'll laugh at you and call you a "rosbif", whereas the stereotype of (modern) Germans is that they'll appreciate that you tried... though may also laugh politely if you fall into one of the "false friend" traps such as saying "ich bin heiß" rather than "mir ist heiß".

As with many stereotypes, your mileage may vary.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The stereotype of the French is that if you try to speak it but make a mistake, they'll laugh at you and call you a "rosbif", whereas the stereotype of (modern) Germans is that they'll appreciate that you tried... though may also laugh politely if you fall into one of the "false friend" traps such as saying "ich bin heiß" rather than "mir ist heiß".

It does. Fact, is, I would be happy to slam the French (because of their politics) - but I cannot.

IMX, on a personal they have always acted more than decently towards me, even in Paris, and I have never had anyone laugh or mock my weak French language skills, at least to my face. Much more usually, the contrary.

I remember once, some young Germans having a smile and explaining that "I spoke German from the age of Shakespeare" - because I was using the present perfect form where they would use the simple past. (I was translating directly from the English - eg I've not been to Switzerland - Ich habe nicht in der Schweiz sei when they would say Ich war niemals in der Schweiz - or something of that order.) But again, never mocking or making any serious "aren't you stupid" like remark.

Ediswan

Established Member
I remember once, some young Germans having a smile and explaining that "I spoke German from the age of Shakespeare"
A conversation in a bar in Ibiza 199? Mixed German/English. Forgot the cack-handed order numbers are pronounced in German and said I had visited Berlin in 1947.

General comment, learn a bit of as many languages as you can*. Example, "the tour" of holiday rental accommodation in Slovenia. We don't speak Slovenian. They didn't speak English. German worked.

* Keep it simple, start with the words for beer.

davehsug

I loved learning French at school, and 50 years later, I like to thnk that my grammar is still pretty good. Strangely, I seem to remember most of the tenses and conditionals of verbs. What I lack is vocbulary, I just don't know the French for many things, but whenever the need has arisen, I've found that I can make my self understood, and understand quite easily. It also grounds you in Spanish & Italian, esprecially if you can learn to recognise common changes to basically simillar words.
I would guess that Italian is probably the easiest language to learn to speak due to it having fewer irreguars and their "no wasted letters" rule, meaning that if a letter is there, it's invariably pronounced...or so I believe!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Have come across many bilingual 14 year olds. Assuming they all speak English have known those that also speak one or more of the following: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Afrikaans, Welsh, Slovakia, Czech, Russian and Greek to name but a few.

Trackman

Established Member
I would recommend the Michel Thomas method, google it. (I'm nothing to do with this or trying to promote it) - It's been around for decades, maybe there is a demo on there. For nouns/verbs, use Linkword... again they have been around years ..
... though may also laugh politely if you fall into one of the "false friend" traps such as saying "ich bin heiß" rather than "mir ist heiß".

I've mentioned this up thread..
I remember my sisters boyfriend (now husband) telling someone they were hot in Germany - ich bein heiß (a double S), the German lady said 'No!! that's the wrong way' - it's a 'false friend' basically it means something sexual, like 'hot'.
A bit OT: In school we were taught to say 'vingt Gitanes s'il vous plait', and the French teacher said 'What ever you do, don't smoke them!' *coughing* .. this was decades ago btw.

Gloster

Established Member
Two false friends in French are ‘actuellement’ and ‘éventuellement’. The first does not mean actually, in the sense of really, but ‘at the moment’, ‘now’, which is a somewhat old fashioned meaning in English. The second means ‘should it become necessary,’ ‘if the situation requires’, rather than a long time in the future.

Howardh

Established Member
If anyone with fluent German has visited the German speaking area of Switzerland, how do you get on there? I watch curling where the players are miked up and I can catch what the German players are saying, but the Swiss/Germans have me stumped!

Fragezeichnen

It's not intelligible at all. I can partially understand it when written, but the same is true of Dutch.
In practice it's not a problem, because it's only used for colloquial speech and Swiss German speakers will switch to standard German if necessary.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Easily. Plenty of Polish teenagers can speak fluently in English, my neighbour included.

She killed me a few days ago by complaining about the simps in a particular fandom.

Falcon1200

Established Member
German was for me the easiest language I learnt.

Same here, I enjoyed German and took my A-Level.... but that was in 1978. On a recent holiday to Berlin, showing off to my kids I spoke German to the hotel receptionist on arrival, however I couldn't understand her reply and we had to revert to English !

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Same here, I enjoyed German and took my A-Level.... but that was in 1978. On a recent holiday to Berlin, showing off to my kids I spoke German to the hotel receptionist on arrival, however I couldn't understand her reply and we had to revert to English !
I've had similar issues. I find that if you make a bit of an effort to NOT suppress an English accent, most German people will pick up on it and keep their reply below the speed of a horse-racing commentator.

I've no idea how those who speak Spanish as a second language cope!

westv

Established Member
I've had similar issues. I find that if you make a bit of an effort to NOT suppress an English accent, most German people will pick up on it and keep their reply below the speed of a horse-racing commentator.

I've no idea how those who speak Spanish as a second language cope!
I wonder how fast native English speakers sound to those learning the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.