• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Apprentice Train Driver - Bletchley (06/03/24)

Tysoe

Did my VSE this morning and about 20 minutes later got an email invite to stage 2 assessments.

My issue is I did stage 2 assessments last August and passed the assessments but failed the MMI.
Chiltern say the OPC say I need to resit but I don't know if that's just so i can do the MMI again which is part of stage 2.

I'm also working on the 8th (when they've asked me to do stage 2) so it'll be difficult to move my working day now. Was told no other assessment days available so just not be many applicants to fit us all in 1 day!

I've got 3 other applications in for other tocs and don't want to risk failing stage 2 again as that will be my 2nd life gone and assumingly out of the running for my other applications.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mabs

Did my VSE this morning and about 20 minutes later got an email invite to stage 2 assessments.

My issue is I did stage 2 assessments last August and passed the assessments but failed the MMI.
Chiltern say the OPC say I need to resit but I don't know if that's just so i can do the MMI again which is part of stage 2.

I'm also working on the 8th (when they've asked me to do stage 2) so it'll be difficult to move my working day now. Was told no other assessment days available so just not be many applicants to fit us all in 1 day!

I've got 3 other applications in for other tocs and don't want to risk failing stage 2 again as that will be my 2nd life gone and assumingly out of the running for my other applications.
Most likely you'll only do the MMI.

Tysoe

Most likely you'll only do the MMI.
This is what I think but I'm a firefighter and finish a 24 hour shift at 9am of the 8th so can't get to Watford for 9am

Just trying to find out if they'll let me arrive at 10am seen as I'll just be waiting to do my MMI til the afternoon anyway

Mabs

This is what I think but I'm a firefighter and finish a 24 hour shift at 9am of the 8th so can't get to Watford for 9am

Just trying to find out if they'll let me arrive at 10am seen as I'll just be waiting to do my MMI til the afternoon anyway
If you do manage to do the MMI after a shift. Don't mention you did the long shift. Only because there is lots of rules on rest times and they might think you'll break the rules. Try and change the shift if possible as the MMI is very intense so you'll need to be able to think properly.

jimmym147

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this post!!! I’m in a similar position. I passed all the assessments for a position with WMT this included passing MMI and DMI but couldn’t get on the planned training course due to my current employer wanting to much notice to level.

I have applied for Chiltern and been asked to do the VSE??? Anyone on here have any advice as to what I should do as I’m still in the talent pool for WMT??

Tysoe

If you do manage to do the MMI after a shift. Don't mention you did the long shift. Only because there is lots of rules on rest times and they might think you'll break the rules. Try and change the shift if possible as the MMI is very intense so you'll need to be able to think properly.
Good point although my work policy is an 11 hour rest period from 'work' after a shift. Not sure a interview counts as work although far from ideal prep!
Contacted Chiltern again and all they'll say is the OPC say I need to resit stage 2 and I'll need to be there at 08:45. About as helpful as most TOC recruitment departments. Still don't believe they're running 1 day of stage 2 assessments.
I've sat a MMI before and passed 5/6 questions, messing up the last question because they didn't accept my planned response which threw me off. Apparently driving a fire engine on blue lights isn't close enough to driving a train! Fair enough perhaps as it's not on your own.

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this post!!! I’m in a similar position. I passed all the assessments for a position with WMT this included passing MMI and DMI but couldn’t get on the planned training course due to my current employer wanting to much notice to level.

I have applied for Chiltern and been asked to do the VSE??? Anyone on here have any advice as to what I should do as I’m still in the talent pool for WMT??
I suppose it depends how likely you think you to progress with WMT.
I don't know for sure but I think if you fail a part of this process it will affect your status in the WMT talent pool, like if your OPC 1 & 2 expire you have to start again.
How long have you been in the talent pool?
I'd be tempted to do the VSE regardless as you should be fine passing it. You should have valid OPC 1&2 passes and MMI so you'll be moved to DMI which I don't think would affect your talent pool status.
Someone do correct me if I'm wrong with any of that tho

jimmym147

Hi

I have been in the WMT talent pool since 2020 but only did the assessment with OPC in Jan of this year.

Yeah the concern is failing the VSE then this affecting my application for WMT. They weren’t very clear on when the next training course would take place

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi

Surely you anticipated that this might happen and had planned accordingly? I'm assuming that you didn't do the VSE for WMT which is why you've been asked to do it for Chiltern. If you complete the VSE and pass it I imagine you would go straight through to DMI at Chiltern if you have already passed all the other required OPC assessments. Your call.

When I did the OPC assessments for Avanti there was one guy there who just came for the interview and one who just came for a couple of the tests as well as the interview.

Going to do the test tomorrow afternoon / evening as it's an early finish for me tomorrow.

Established Member
Good point although my work policy is an 11 hour rest period from 'work' after a shift. Not sure a interview counts as work although far from ideal prep!
Contacted Chiltern again and all they'll say is the OPC say I need to resit stage 2 and I'll need to be there at 08:45. About as helpful as most TOC recruitment departments.

With respect, this is a terrible idea, especially as it’s your last chance. Why wouldn’t you book annual leave (or even go sick), rather than attending an interview after a long shift? Just to ensure you’re aware the MMI is part of the official assessment process, and it sounds like you’re down one life, so if you don’t pass this you’ll be permanently out of the running.

The reality is TOC recruitment departments are thinly stretched, and they don’t need to be helpful. They are inundated with applicants and, if people aren’t flexible enough, they will simply cross their name off and move on to the next person.

Apparently driving a fire engine on blue lights isn't close enough to driving a train!

It isn’t going to be at all relevant. In fact, if you think about it, it’s going against many of the behaviours train drivers are expected to exhibit, so possibly not the best example to use.

Last edited:

Chrysalis

I've sat a MMI before and passed 5/6 questions, messing up the last question because they didn't accept my planned response which threw me off. Apparently driving a fire engine on blue lights isn't close enough to driving a train! Fair enough perhaps as it's not on your own.
Don't think about what you've done that similar to what a train driver does in a physical sort of way (e.g. you're driving something large). Think about the qualities you have to have as a train driver (able to follow rules and regulations, able to work in a safe manner, able to communicate well, occasional fault finding, able to focus etc). Have you done anything where you needed to be able to do all of these? I recently passed my MMI and I used a part of my life not even remotely similar to driving a train, in a direct and physical sort of way, but still passed this question.

puffpuffgive

Is it ok to use the same example for multiple MMI questions? For example, if you operate heavy machinery, it might be an example of working in a safety critical role. It could also be an example of when you had to cope in a crisis or had to concentrate for long periods of time etc.

Tysoe

With respect, this is a terrible idea, especially as it’s your last chance. Why wouldn’t you book annual leave (or even go sick), rather than attending an interview after a long shift? Just to ensure you’re aware the MMI is part of the official assessment process, and it sounds like you’re down one life, so if you don’t pass this you’ll be permanently out of the running.

The reality is TOC recruitment departments are thinly stretched, and they don’t need to be helpful. They are inundated with applicants and, if people aren’t flexible enough, they will simply cross their name off and move on to the next person.

It isn’t going to be at all relevant. In fact, if you think about it, it’s going against many of the behaviours train drivers are expected to exhibit, so possibly not the best example to use.
Because I'm an operational firefighter meaning we need a certain number of people on shift and if there's no leave available, there's no leave available.

There are numerous policies and procedures I have to follow to drive a fire engine on blue lights (or not blue lights for that matter), not to mention being responsible for the safety of my crew and members of the public, concentration, working under pressure, completing equipment checks and logging the result and doing all this at potentially 4am when I was fast asleep 2 minutes earlier. Their issue with that example was it's not something I do on my own, I would argue otherwise but there you go.

I've managed to do a shift swap with someone.

Tcastle15

My application is currently in progress for the Chiltern Railways apprentice driver role based out of bletchley I've been sent the VSE and taken that. I have just been sent the SJT to complete, anyone know if the SJT is a timed test or not?(sometimes they're not sometimes they'll give you an ideal time to complete but no actual time limit?)

Tysoe

Confused now. Going to do my MMI (and stage 2 OPC tests if needed)on Monday but have been sent an email this afternoon asking me to fill out a Microsoft form with some interview questions and then do a SJT

Wondering if I somehow have 2 applications for Chiltern @ Bletchley going at the same time

Spincity

Confused now. Going to do my MMI (and stage 2 OPC tests if needed)on Monday but have been sent an email this afternoon asking me to fill out a Microsoft form with some interview questions and then do a SJT

Wondering if I somehow have 2 applications for Chiltern @ Bletchley going at the same time
Do you mean SJT or SJE?. Could you share this form….thats perplexing?

mclark87

That is odd. Didn’t get invited to any tests next week but did get that email with the form. Email also mentioned doing a VSE test but thought that is what we did last week?

Tysoe

This what I got yesterday

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to apply with us here at Chiltern Railways for our Apprentice Train Driver role, based from Bletchley Station. Following on from completing the initial questionnaire, we would like to invite you to stage 2.

What is next?

Below is a link to a Microsoft form, this form comes in the style of interview questions and will assess your skills around working under pressure, following rules (this is a key safety element, when working on the railway), and problem solving.

The 2nd part of the questionnaire is Situational Judgement and is a multiple-choice selection (railway experience is not required for this). As you answer these questions, we encourage you to continue to think about safety.

Link to form: https://forms.office.com/e/blahblah

The deadline to complete this task is 11:59pm Thursday 11th April 2024.

If you are successful, you’ll be invited to complete a VSE stage, more details to be provided in due course.

Thanks, and good luck!

Did wonder if this was a pre MMI questionnaire but the deadline is 11th April and my OPC stage 2 in on Monday so who knows.

I'll just complete and see what comes of it

Last edited:

Spincity

This what I got yesterday

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to apply with us here at Chiltern Railways for our Apprentice Train Driver role, based from Bletchley Station. Following on from completing the initial questionnaire, we would like to invite you to stage 2.

What is next?

Below is a link to a Microsoft form, this form comes in the style of interview questions and will assess your skills around working under pressure, following rules (this is a key safety element, when working on the railway), and problem solving.

The 2nd part of the questionnaire is Situational Judgement and is a multiple-choice selection (railway experience is not required for this). As you answer these questions, we encourage you to continue to think about safety.

Link to form: https://forms.office.com/e/blahblah

The deadline to complete this task is 11:59pm Thursday 11th April 2024.

If you are successful, you’ll be invited to complete a VSE stage, more details to be provided in due course.

Thanks, and good luck!
So looks like you’ve got an online assessment and VSE to complete as part of chiltern process. This will be as well as the face to face assessments with opc

12LDA28C

Established Member
So looks like you’ve got an online assessment and VSE to complete as part of chiltern process. This will be as well as the face to face assessments with opc

The issue is that @Tysoe has already passed the 'face to face' testing at OPC with the exception of the MMI, and has now passed the VSE for Chiltern.

Tysoe

Crosscountry have also put me through to a DMI in a few weeks and I thought MMI would be required before that. Others in that process seem to be doing OPC stage 1& 2 currently so i don't know.

I'll just keep doing things as they're sent through and hopefully get a role somewhere.

jimmym147

I have had the same email. I’m wondering if the Chiltern tests at OPC have a different pass mark to other TOC’s. Does anyone know if the enhanced standard is the same across the board or does each individual TOC set its own pass mark for this?

12LDA28C

Established Member
I have had the same email. I’m wondering if the Chiltern tests at OPC have a different pass mark to other TOC’s. Does anyone know if the enhanced standard is the same across the board or does each individual TOC set its own pass mark for this?

No. As has been discussed many times on this forum, there is no across-the-board definition of 'enhanced'. It could mean a higher pass mark is required in some or all of the tests, or it could mean that one or more additional tests is required above what would be classified as a 'Standard' requirement. Chiltern are only classified as 'enhanced' because they require the VSE to be completed which some other TOCs do not.

jimmym147

I’m new to this process and to the forum so have not seen the aforementioned discussions. Many thanks for sharing

12LDA28C

Established Member
I’m new to this process and to the forum so have not seen the aforementioned discussions. Many thanks for sharing

Apologies, that was not meant to sound brusque. If you have a look through the various threads within this section of the forum there is much discussion and good advice about what to expect from the process including answers to the many questions you may have.

Andreas D

I completed my vse last week and didn’t hear anything to see if I had passed or not but received the same email.