• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 180 Adelantes leaving EMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Latest rumour is that the dft have told us not to get rid of the 180's as we have not suffered enough yet.

Haha. I feel your pain !!
Seriously though the class 180 above the solebar is a lovely train - far superior to a 22x or 390. It is below the solebar where things go horribly wrong.

Did anything get done to the ex FHT 180s apart from aubergine and white paint ?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Did anything get done to the ex FHT 180s apart from aubergine and white paint ?
Interior-wise not that I'm aware of. I travelled on one just before Christmas and it instantly brought back memories of travelling with FGW on the Cotswold Line over a decade ago!

QSK19

Latest rumour is that the dft have told us not to get rid of the 180's as we have not suffered enough yet.
It’s because the DfT has secretly decided that the 222s are remaining at EMR and the 810s are being assigned to TPE (because it’s not like they’ve not got enough new stock). Retaining the 180s is a sop to say that they’re committed to investing in EMR - to prepare the way to quietly announce that the 810s are going elsewhere :lol::lol:

NB: for the avoidance of doubt, the above is merely tongue in cheek and does not in any way constitute a rumour or fact.

liamf656

All four have never been diagrammed to be in service on the same day.
I do however believe that there has been at least one occasion where both diagrammed sets have been taken off part way through the day for whatever reason and the other two sets finishing the diagrams

Kneedown

Established Member
I do however believe that there has been at least one occasion where both diagrammed sets have been taken off part way through the day for whatever reason and the other two sets finishing the diagrams
Don't know about both sets being swapped on a single day, but one certainly has on the odd occasion.

KoalaKandy

As a regular commuter lately into London, I've found my favourite service. It's usually always operated by the 9 car 180 (4+5). I'll actually go out my way to travel a little earlier to be on it. I've never not managed to get a seat, sometimes a set of two for myself, with plenty of legroom. Scruffy in a very comfy and homely way. Also yes, they remind me of my Cotswold line days travelling because of that. Give me that any day over a 222. Whenever I take the 222 home, I dread the crowds and the cramped conditions.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Would it not make sense to keep them in service until the 810s come in because they won't be in that quick surely? Nothing really to replace the 180s on the intercity runs at the moment.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Or indeed the plan for the Adelantes themselves?

That’s not something you would expect EMR to know anything about, whenever you return an asset off lease why would the former leaseholder worry what happens to it next?

It’s like asking your landlord who’s going to be the new tenant when you leave.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That’s not something you would expect EMR to know anything about, whenever you return an asset off lease why would the former leaseholder worry what happens to it next?

It’s like asking your landlord who’s going to be the new tenant when you leave.
Well, I guess that’s me told

QSK19

Or indeed the plan for the Adelantes themselves?
Sims or broken down for spare parts for the GC ones are my thoughts. Doubt Angel would admit to either option; but just got to wait and see!

In the meantime, I’ve got a 6 year old who will be very upset when I tell him that they’re leaving EMR :lol:

driverd

Atleast 3, if not 4 to Grand Central is my bet. They're struggling with cancellations as things are, have the ongoing corrosion to deal with and there's atleast one stood down at Crofton (missing its front end). Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the fleet is reunited, even if one or two of them become spares donors.

Established Member
Yes and that's a good point, they'll be ongoing testing first and then they'll enter the services soon after.

The 810s won’t be entering service “soon”. As above the 180s will be replaced with meridians initially, freed up by thinning out the Melton services, which to be fair are a pretty inefficient use of stock.

Internal email sent out today said the 180s will go off lease in May.

Is has been talked about for a while, so good to know at least some railway rumours are based on truth!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The 810s won’t be entering service “soon”. As above the 180s will be replaced with meridians initially, freed up by thinning out the Melton services, which to be fair are a pretty inefficient use of stock.

Sounds like one of the more sensible cost cutting exercises taking place at the moment if they are inefficiently used.

liamf656

Sounds like one of the more sensible cost cutting exercises taking place at the moment if they are inefficiently used.
Heading into speculation territory but I would much rather see the service continue with 170s on a Melton to Kettering shuttle a few times a day, so that 222s (and eventually 810s) can be used on the services out of St Pancras.

On another note wasn’t it mentioned in the past that there aren’t enough 810s ordered for the planned service? What would become of this, if anything? I’d guess that more 5 car sets as opposed to 10 would be most likely

M1544

Hopefully Grand Central will take on any spare 180s coming off lease from EMR. They seem to be having major reliability issues with their current sets so seem to need a few more to run the timetable reliably!

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Heading into speculation territory but I would much rather see the service continue with 170s on a Melton to Kettering shuttle a few times a day
Extend a couple of CrossCountry Birmingham-Leicesters to Melton and Kettering? ;)

(Sorry, crayonista territory and definitely one for the speculative board...)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Heading into speculation territory but I would much rather see the service continue with 170s on a Melton to Kettering shuttle a few times a day, so that 222s (and eventually 810s) can be used on the services out of St Pancras.

On another note wasn’t it mentioned in the past that there aren’t enough 810s ordered for the planned service? What would become of this, if anything? I’d guess that more 5 car sets as opposed to 10 would be most likely
The whole point of that service is for diversionary knowledge for traincrew.
If you replace it with a 170 then the wrong traincrew will be working it (ie ex Central trains regional crew instead of ex MML intercity crew)

James Kevill

It would be a great idea if the 4 Class 180 Adelantes could be transferred to Grand Central after they are withdrawn from EMR for the May 2023 timetable change. And Grand Central will have all 14 Class 180 units, but the The buffet coach (56910) from 180110 is still out of service and the unit is still in 4 carriages, but it is unclear that carriage will be repaired or not.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Did the corrosion of the unit with 4 coaches happen before or after the transfer to EMR?

CeeJ

Are there any timetable reductions as a result of this, or will the difference be made up simply by running fewer double sets?
Did the corrosion of the unit with 4 coaches happen before or after the transfer to EMR?
Sounds like the corrosion happened 15 minutes after leaving the factory!

Status
Not open for further replies.