• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 319 Northern departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
With 323s somewhere in the middle. Not great, but far from bad.
I’m not sure. Unpopular 3+2 seating, no air con/opening windows, muffled speaker with crappy TrainFX, lack of tables/armrests, etc. They’re like a faster accelerating, slightly cleaner and less dilapidated version of the 319 from a passenger perspective. Still much better than a nasty 319, but I’d rather a 331 any day of the week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Friday 22nd December @ 06.00:

Springs B 06+11 5V01
Wigan NW 06+25 06.36 2V01
Mancr Vic 07.07 07.13 2G91
Wigan NW 07.47 08.36 2V03
Mancr Vic 09.09 09.13 2G93
Wigan NW 09.46 10+09 5W03
Springs B 10+22

BlckplNCS 06+30 5V02
Wigan NW 07+36 07.39 2V02
Mancr Vic 08.09 08.13 2G92
Wigan NW 08.47 09.24 2F01
Lime St 10.12 10+30 5Y01
AllrtnDep 10+52

I suspect these may well be the final passenger workings...

childwallblues

Established Member
I’m not sure. Unpopular 3+2 seating, no air con/opening windows, muffled speaker with crappy TrainFX, lack of tables/armrests, etc. They’re like a faster accelerating, slightly cleaner and less dilapidated version of the 319 from a passenger perspective. Still much better than a nasty 319, but I’d rather a 331 any day of the week.
What you must remember is that the 319 was all that was available when Liverpool Lime street-Chat Moss and Wigan NW AC went live in 2015. Since then they have given sterling service. Now then they are being replaced on services out of Liverpool by the 331/1. The replacement 323s that have been operating on Chat Moss are too small and with only an hourly service which also serves Manchester Airport currently passengers are being left behind due to overcrowding. With the arrival of the 323s in 2024 Northern will hopefully re-instate the half hourly service

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What you must remember is that the 319 was all that was available when Liverpool Lime street-Chat Moss and Wigan NW AC went live in 2015. Since then they have given sterling service. Now then they are being replaced on services out of Liverpool by the 331/1. The replacement 323s that have been operating on Chat Moss are too small and with only an hourly service which also serves Manchester Airport currently passengers are being left behind due to overcrowding. With the arrival of the 323s in 2024 Northern will hopefully re-instate the half hourly service
Yes, I’m not complaining at all, I just refuse to agree that the 323s are a massive upgrade (they are a bit of one) on 319s or an equivalent to 331s, but that’s individual tastes. I absolutely hate 319s, so this plan sounds great to me.

childwallblues

Established Member
Yes, I’m not complaining at all, I just refuse to agree that the 323s are a massive upgrade (they are a bit of one) on 319s or an equivalent to 331s, but that’s individual tastes. I absolutely hate 319s, so this plan sounds great to me.
I am the opposite to you, A hater of 323s and a lover of 319s because they were different. I always associated 323s with South Manchester. However when they were transferred from Longsight to Allerton they started to spread their wings. They even for a period had an early morning LIV-WGN turn possible because they had a Liverpool crew. Only Piccadilly and Lime Street crews sign 323s so that will have to change.
To me a 323 is a faster, shorter version of a 319 still with 3 + 2 seating.

BigB

Jamesrob637

Established Member

I definitely agree 323s should work in pairs, sometimes even off-peak nowadays. That should have been the case (at least in the peaks) from the 00s onwards, when the population of Greater Manchester started to swell having slowly declined since the 1970s.

GhostManDN91

I like both the 319s and 323s, however I don't get enough rides on them with living in Wigan. Hopefully Wigan will get more 323s though whatever services Northern use them on. :)

warwickshire

On Moderation
Reported elsewhere as 319370 and 319361

C
Confirmed and observed 37800 with 319370 behind locomotive and 319361 on the rear running
12 early through Cradley Heath. Unless rectified please ignore old live rail record website. 37116 is not in this move.
However as we enter 2024, is there only 7 units to move now???.

Established Member
The 323s are leagues better than the slow, noisy and uncomfortable 319s. They have much better acceleration with far superior interiors which are actually warm in the winter, plus the 323s can actually be deployed in pairs to boost capacity. As for the argument the 323s are too small, they just aren't, because the difference between the two classes is a whopping eleven seats: 286 on a 319 and 275 on a 323. I really don't think they need tables and armrests either, to be honest. They're commuter trains, not regional or intercity trains where I would reasonably expect to find those features. I genuinely can't think of a single aspect where the 319 is even slightly better than the far superior units which are replacing them, and not before time.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The 323s are leagues better than the slow, noisy and uncomfortable 319s. They have much better acceleration with far superior interiors which are actually warm in the winter,
What about the interiors makes them "far superior?"
They have a TV-style PIS and a USB sockets, and:

Bikeman78

Established Member
When the 319s started out of Liverpool they replaced mainly two car DMUs. I think the hourly service to Manchester Airport was booked three class 156s but 150s or Pacers were hardly rare. Objectively they provided more seats, slightly faster journeys, greater reliability (approx 10000 MTIN vs 5000-7000) and a quieter ride if you avoid the motor coach.

Friday 22nd December @ 06.00:

Springs B 06+11 5V01
Wigan NW 06+25 06.36 2V01
Mancr Vic 07.07 07.13 2G91
Wigan NW 07.47 08.36 2V03
Mancr Vic 09.09 09.13 2G93
Wigan NW 09.46 10+09 5W03
Springs B 10+22

BlckplNCS 06+30 5V02
Wigan NW 07+36 07.39 2V02
Mancr Vic 08.09 08.13 2G92
Wigan NW 08.47 09.24 2F01
Lime St 10.12 10+30 5Y01
AllrtnDep 10+52

I suspect these may well be the final passenger workings...
Are there any out and back diagrams from Allerton they could work tomorrow?

Are there any out and back diagrams from Allerton they could work tomorrow?
I dare say there are. But all but one of the 331/1s have now transferred over, and there'll no doubt be some pre-planned cancellations tomorrow, so will there be any need to put any 319s out? I highly doubt it.

319369 is still at Springs Branch, so is one to watch out for working it's way back to Allerton, if not tomorrow, then perhaps on Wednesday 27th?

stan claire

If Northern are asked to supply rolling stock for the testing of the new OLE, they'll likely send a traction type that is actually going to work over the route in future.
50032 is correct the first train on the OHLE will be a 331 and that's coming from someone (not me btw) who's very heavily involved in the works. They mentioned end of January for the first tests.
This isn't adding up... 769s (converted 319s) will be the only Northern units to use the overheads (until Westhoughton is wired anyway) so it wouldn't make sense to send a 331 down there. If they're planning on giving back a direct train between the Preston-Bolton route and to Vic it's a decision I would support
The replacement 323s that have been operating on Chat Moss are too small and with only an hourly service which also serves Manchester Airport currently passengers are being left behind due to overcrowding. With the arrival of the 323s in 2024 Northern will hopefully re-instate the half hourly service
I've also seen a few platforms being extended such as at Newton le Willows, I think they're also hoping to use 6 car 323s in the future unless they are completely unrelated and they're for the TPEs instead. Also what happened to that half hourly service? Splitting the via Airport service fair enough and now the intermediate stations get at least 2tph but the Liverpool - Stockport - Crewe service could've been left how it was
The 323s are leagues better than the slow, noisy and uncomfortable 319s. They have much better acceleration with far superior interiors which are actually warm in the winter, plus the 323s can actually be deployed in pairs to boost capacity. As for the argument the 323s are too small, they just aren't, because the difference between the two classes is a whopping eleven seats: 286 on a 319 and 275 on a 323. I really don't think they need tables and armrests either, to be honest. They're commuter trains, not regional or intercity trains where I would reasonably expect to find those features. I genuinely can't think of a single aspect where the 319 is even slightly better than the far superior units which are replacing them, and not before time.
The thing with 323s is, while yes there's not much of a difference between the amount of seats it's the standing room that'll be reduced which as a personal opinion is more important. You say that 323s are warm in the winter, however being squashed into a 323 doorway during the summer will feel like hell on earth, especially if there's no air con like the 331s have. They could make the aisles 2+2 seating for more standing room, however it's Northern and they obviously won't do that.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I've also seen a few platforms being extended such as at Newton le Willows, I think they're also hoping to use 6 car 323s in the future unless they are completely unrelated and they're for the TPEs instead.
Yes the extensions are for 323s, same is happening at Westhoughton, Hindley and Ince, the 323s don't have SDO, so they need a full platform.

stan claire

Yes the extensions are for 323s, same is happening at Westhoughton, Hindley and Ince, the 323s don't have SDO, so they need a full platform.
I'm surprised they're not adding SDO to the 323s too, but also Ince seems like a tricky spot to do considering that it's an island platform. Unless the entire station gets rebuilt, which I can't see the DfT doing because they're far too cheap.

MP393

This isn't adding up... 769s (converted 319s) will be the only Northern units to use the overheads (until Westhoughton is wired anyway) so it wouldn't make sense to send a 331 down there. If they're planning on giving back a direct train between the Preston-Bolton route and to Vic it's a decision I would support

331s have previously worked Hadfield/Glossop services on request of Network Rail to perform inspections/tests of the Overheads, I believe they have cameras/lights on the pantographs. It wouldn’t be strange at all to send a 331 under the new OHLE to Stalybridge for a similar reason under testing.

stan claire

331s have previously worked Hadfield/Glossop services on request of Network Rail to perform inspections/tests of the Overheads, I believe they have cameras/lights on the pantographs. It wouldn’t be strange at all to send a 331 under the new OHLE to Stalybridge for a similar reason under testing.
Do they? Never knew that
The 323 haven't needed SDO on the south manchester and the hadfield lines,
Why do they need it now.
I didn't say they needed it. I said they could've added it because they want to run 6 carriages on the Chat Moss and Wigan-Bolton lines and they're extending platforms so if they added SDO it would've saved the DfT their precious money.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
but also Ince seems like a tricky spot to do considering that it's an island platform.
Ince has a big platform already, the end is just closed off and has been left to the plants, there's enough space in the plant area to get a long enough platform for 6 cars of 323.
Photo showing where grass and plants have been allowed to grow on the area beyond Ince's current platform
The 323 haven't needed SDO on the south manchester and the hadfield lines,
Why do they need it now.
Because 6 car sets don't fit in plenty of stations.

jonesy3001

Established Member
As in 6 car units? The point is 6 car 323s won't fit a lot of other stations and SDO would've been a lot better cost-wise than extending every single platform to fit it
Like I said cannot see them fitting SDO to them when they haven't got long left in service.
Should of had it fitted when they where new or went through the refurbishment.

stan claire

Like I said cannot see them fitting SDO to them when they haven't got long left in service.
Should of had it fitted when they where new or went through the refurbishment.
We don't know how long Northern want to keep them for
If they used SDO instead of extending so many platforms they could've used the money saved to build roads instead. Because that's the DfT's main priority

Bikeman78

Established Member
The thing with 323s is, while yes there's not much of a difference between the amount of seats it's the standing room that'll be reduced which as a personal opinion is more important.
That's a fair point. Might have similar number of seats but the train is 10 metres shorter. So the passengers will inevitably be crammed into a smaller space.

Status
Not open for further replies.