• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevin_roche

I'm aware that it is not your intention to indulge in a lot of alphabet soup in supplying excellent updates, but could it be kindly explained what NTC CBTC, ETCS L0, and ETCS L2 are please?

To expand upon the earlier reply by Horizon22. When ETCS is installed on a train and the train has the capability to use other signalling systems too, it uses messages from the track-mounted balise to work out what signalling systems are available on any particular section of track. There is usually a first and second choice for safety reasons. The first choice is automatically selected.

In the Crossrail System, there are currently two non-ETCS systems available. ETCS refers to both of these as NTC (National Train Control). In the central tunnels, A version of Siemens Trainguard MT ( a wifi-based system) is used and called CBTC for short. On the East and West of the route, the TPWS signalling system applies. Just to add to the alphabet soup, when a train leaves the great western mainline at Stockley junction to go to the airport it briefly gets switched to ETCS L1 which allows the train to get a movement authority via a Balise from the signalling system before the conversation over GSM-R is set up. In Level 2, GSM-R is used to receive new movement authorities. GSM-R is cell phone like system which is used by ETCS L2 for communication and is a standard throughout most of the UK.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Many thanks JonathanH and Gulf1159. Are both these still 7-car - or has 345009 (the eastbound unit) had its additional cars added and is now a 9-car unit?
Both will still be 7-car - movements of 9-car units go via the tunnel.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
To expand upon the earlier reply by Horizon22. When ETCS is installed on a train and the train has the capability to use other signalling systems too, it uses messages from the track-mounted balise to work out what signalling systems are available on any particular section of track. There is usually a first and second choice for safety reasons. The first choice is automatically selected.

In the Crossrail System, there are currently two non-ETCS systems available. ETCS refers to both of these as NTC (National Train Control). In the central tunnels, A version of Siemens Trainguard MT ( a wifi-based system) is used and called CBTC for short. On the East and West of the route, the TPWS signalling system applies. Just to add to the alphabet soup, when a train leaves the great western mainline at Stockley junction to go to the airport it briefly gets switched to ETCS L1 which allows the train to get a movement authority via a Balise from the signalling system before the conversation over GSM-R is set up. In Level 2, GSM-R is used to receive new movement authorities. GSM-R is cell phone like system which is used by ETCS L2 for communication and is a standard throughout most of the UK.

ETCS = European Train Control System. L0 all the way to L3 are the various levels. Level 0 is wherby an ETCS train runs without using ETCS, Level 2 is primarily all cab-based. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System#Level_2

CBTC = Communications Based Train Control: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications-based_train_control. NTC is National Train Control i.e normal signalling systems in the UK. (or in this case, the standard Crossrail signalling system)

Thanks both.

Last edited:

SeaKing

2 Questions are 01 & 19 still at Worksop.
Is 18 the unit at Ilford between the first 2 buildings when travelling from Stratford,
Cheers

JonathanH

Veteran Member
2 Questions are 01 & 19 still at Worksop.
Is 18 the unit at Ilford between the first 2 buildings when travelling from Stratford,
Cheers
18 is the unit in Ley Street Sidings at the back of Ilford Depot - almost certainly the one in this street view from March - seems to tally with being seen between two buildings when travelling from Stratford - it was reported as being there on the ukmodernemu group last week

I'd guess that 01 and 19 are at Ashfordby, rather than Worksop - there is a sighting of both from there on Locoscene in April - I can't find any evidence of a move.

Gulf1159

From Wednesday 28 July 2021 there will be 6x9 car units running on the east. This is to allow for the 7 car 345’s to be extended and the replacement of the 315’s

SeaKing

18 is the unit in Ley Street Sidings at the back of Ilford Depot - almost certainly the one in this street view from March - seems to tally with being seen between two buildings when travelling from Stratford - it was reported as being there on the ukmodernemu group last week

I'd guess that 01 and 19 are at Ashfordby, rather than Worksop - there is a sighting of both from there on Locoscene in April - I can't find any evidence of a move.
Many thanks.

Roger B

Both will still be 7-car - movements of 9-car units go via the tunnel.

I can confirm that both 345009 and 345011 are 7 cars. Whether 345011 will be converted to a 9 car I don’t know

Thanks JonathanH & Gulf1159 for confirming - I didn't like to assume!

kevin_roche

Thanks both.
I meant to point you towards this presentation, but I could not find it last week.

It goes into a lot of detail for those that want a detailed look at how ETCS works on Crossrail.

27/Jul/2021
Does anyone know what has happened to Trial Running? There does not seem to be any activity in the core since last Thursday.

Last edited:

Gulf1159

I meant to point you towards this presentation, but I could not find it last week.

It goes into a lot of detail for those that want a detailed look at how ETCS works on Crossrail.

27/Jul/2021
Does anyone know what has happened to Trial Running? There does not seem to be any activity in the core since last Thursday.
Not sure Kevin. Was only planned for Tuesday and Wednesday this week but nothing so far today. Will be interesting to see if the three 9 car moves to Gidea Park happen later. They have activated the paths. Next trial running is booked for Sunday 1 August but that’s from Abbey Wood to Acton Main Line. Testing the transition on the west

all three Old Oak depot to Gidea Park were cancelled

Last edited:

Kay_M

Does anyone know when the 9 car service started on the East Side of the line. The 12:41 service at Stratford said it's formed of 9 coaches. It is 345025

Gulf1159

There were two moves Ilford to OOC this week one yesterday and one today. Units involved were 345056 and 345008 respectively. No balancing moves the other way

there is another move just been added for a swap of units between Ilford and OOC tomorrow 29/07/21

Last edited:

iphone76

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Nine car 345 054 was in service off Liverpool Street on Saturday; as far as I know this particular one has spent most of its time on tunnel testing in recent months.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Are 001, 018, 019, 032, 041, 045, 060, 067 and 069 all still not in passenger service? :)
On Tuesday 03/08/2021 at 17:30 I noted 345041 at OOC, I think it was on its own in the siding nearest the canal. There were about half a dozen sidings beyond it that were empty then 345068. I could not perceive any other empty sidings. I might be mixed up and 068 might have been nearest to the canal instead. But I assume both might be grouped with or either side of units that are venturing out for service or tunnel testing.

I have not seen any of the others lately. Not even in places that could be for tunnel testing.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
On Tuesday 03/08/2021 at 17:30 I noted 345041 at OOC, I think it was on its own in the siding nearest the canal. There were about half a dozen sidings beyond it that were empty so I assume it might be grouped with units that are venturing out for service or tunnel testing.

I have not seen any of the others lately. Not even in places that could be for tunnel testing.
I have been informed by a very kind member with TOPS access that 045 is out today… I’m going out to get it hehe.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I have 060 ticked off as has been in passenger service.
...and 045

Unreported units for passenger service should be 001, 018, 019, 032, 041, 050, 067, 069.

001 and 019 aren't in London
018 is at Ilford
032, 050, 069 were reported in this thread to have testing equipment fitted
which leaves 041 and 067 - do they also have special testing functions?

I noticed some centre cars at the side of the depot last Friday so presumably a unit has been lengthened this week.

Last edited:

SeaKing

...and 045

Unreported units for passenger service should be 001, 018, 019, 032, 041, 050, 067, 069.

018 is at Ilford

I noticed some centre cars at the side of the depot last Friday so presumably a unit has been lengthened this week.
Be interested if anyone has seen 060 recently, when i was in London a fortnight ago there was some talk it had gone to the East side.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Be interested if anyone has seen 060 recently, when i was in London a fortnight ago there was some talk it had gone to the East side.
9-car units don't go permanently to the 'east side' as they need to return to Old Oak Depot on a cyclic basis. 060 was out west side on Wednesday morning but it is very likely it was east side for a cycle of three days work.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
...and 045

018 is at Ilford

I’ve been on 050.

Status
Not open for further replies.