• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 379 updates (all are OFF LEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If they are still in lease ..wby not use them in pax service and place 317s in warm store instead?
Don't these things usually come down to the timing of mileage-based maintenance requirements? If an examination can be saved, they might as well be set aside whilst units with a longer gap to that requirement is used instead - eg get full use out of the 317s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
But won’t they require those exams regardless if they’re going to Great Northern as so many on here allege?

43102EMR

Established Member
Don't these things usually come down to the timing of mileage-based maintenance requirements? If an examination can be saved, they might as well be set aside whilst units with a longer gap to that requirement is used instead - eg get full use out of the 317s.
According to the cascade plan on Modern Railways, the 317s are all meant to be gone by the end of Feb… so guess this ties in with that or plans have changed?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
According to the cascade plan on Modern Railways, the 317s are all meant to be gone by the end of Feb… so guess this ties in with that or plans have changed?
Then while International Rail Journal’s columnist says 379s begin to go off this month, Modern Railways columnists say 317s are all going away next month, so either one is mistaken or there will be a solely five car service on the WA side.

fgwrich

Established Member
Fair enough, I thought they had to hand them back in mint condition though.
That will depend on the requirements of the lessor. Some will charge the TOC extra for things such as branding not removed or any additional or outstanding maintenance required on them - see the various off lease HST PCs and Mk3s for that, most of them were de-branded before handback.

D365

Veteran Member
Long story short: it could be down to any kind of contractual reason that those in the public won't be privy to.

Class 170101

Established Member
No. Looks like the Meridian Water service is two pairs of trains shuttling up and down. The Stratford to Hertford East is also self contained - predominantly 317s. The ideal scenario for passengers would have been for the meridian water service to interwork with Hertford East. But no instead we have a crazy time table where both the Hertord East and Meridian Water service leave for Stratford within 1 min of each other ..leaving an almost half an hour wait for the next pair. From Stratford it is a 6 min gap..then 24 mins!
Driven by the fact that the service is as booked paths (as near as damn it) north of Coppermill Jn I think you will find, to dovetail GA with other operators elsewhere.

Railperf

Established Member
Three out of seven WA Cambridge North diagrams are still 379 8-car pairs today plus 2 pairs on the meridian water shuttle. 317's still on Stratford to Hertford East.

kingston_toon

Three out of seven WA Cambridge North diagrams are still 379 8-car pairs today plus 2 pairs on the meridian water shuttle. 317's still on Stratford to Hertford East.

We decided to pub crawl the Hertford East branch yesterday and 5 of the 13 diagrams south of the Broxbourne - Audley End possession were class 317 pairs (partly the reason for doing this), 6 were class 379 pairs and the remaining one was a single class 720.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Then while International Rail Journal’s columnist says 379s begin to go off this month, Modern Railways columnists say 317s are all going away next month, so either one is mistaken or there will be a solely five car service on the WA side.
At the moment there are five 720s on West Anglia, along with eight pairs of class 317 or class 379. So they need another eight 720s to run everything. Seems a bit tight for end of February. Plus any increase in service needs more units again, e.g. putting back the half hourly Stratford to Bishop's Stortford needs another four sets.

Steve Harris

West Anglia yes, but not West Anglia Main Line. This whole WAML thing has come from I don’t know where, but it grates because it is a route and not a mainline.
I disagree, IF you think back to the days before electrification Inter-City branded rolling stock along with real locomotives where used on the route.

Unfortunately electrification brought clapped out EMU's to Cambridge (Class 302,305,308,310 etc) and then the "mainline" became not so mainline !
Perhaps it should be called West Anglia Once Was A MainLine.!?

AlexNL

Established Member
Richard Clinnick is reporting that two units have gone into storage:
One I missed from last week, but the first @greateranglia Cl.379s have gone into warm storage at Harwich. 379002/011 are the first of the fleet OOS. They were introduced in 2011. Unlike 40yr old plus Cl.43s being scrapped, 10yr old 379s being stored IS a waste!!!!

Class 170101

Established Member
Are any 379s sent for storage yet?

I thought two went to Harwich Parkeston the other week?

There were two units in Parkeston Yard last Friday as I passed by.

Richard Clinnick is reporting that two units have gone into storage:

Two Class 379s last Thursday, schedule here

ashkeba

Established Member
I disagree, IF you think back to the days before electrification Inter-City branded rolling stock along with real locomotives where used on the route.

Unfortunately electrification brought clapped out EMU's to Cambridge (Class 302,305,308,310 etc) and then the "mainline" became not so mainline !
Perhaps it should be called West Anglia Once Was A MainLine.!?
I understand that the original mainline to Norwich was Liverpool Street to Cambridge to Ely to Brandon to Norwich. I am sure this has been discussed on here before.

Railperf

Established Member
I understand that the original mainline to Norwich was Liverpool Street to Cambridge to Ely to Brandon to Norwich. I am sure this has been discussed on here before.
I recall the Bishops Stortford to Cambridge electrification bringing Class 86 locos on 'fast' services between Liverpool Street and Cambridge. But this was all Network Southeast branded. I think some Intercity branded loco's ended up hauling trains as there was a small pool of locos based at Ilford that ended up being shared between the Norwich and Cambridge services.

Class360/1

Hello, 2 379’s are in the siding by platform 5 at Colchester. Does anyone know what unit numbers these are?

Class360/1

379004 and 379009 have moved from their spot at Colchester North, in the siding by platform 5 between 07:15 and 15:30

dk1

Veteran Member
379004 and 379009 have moved from their spot at Colchester North, in the siding by platform 5 between 07:15 and 15:30
Yes came into platform 5 from the Clacton direction at 15:20 as we sat in platform 2 with 1P36.

Status
Not open for further replies.