• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
If the 483s are not being scrapped in situ, will it make sense to use the same transporters to return one of the more hopeless cases back to the mainland, rather than making an empty journey?
How would they move them to Sandown for loading. I guess in theory they could couple them to an operational unit, but then it's got to be shunted into the siding.
I guess it's more hassle than it's worth and probably cheaper to scrap in situ and chuck them into a metal skip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How would they move them to Sandown for loading. I guess in theory they could couple them to an operational unit, but then it's got to be shunted into the siding.
I guess it's more hassle than it's worth and probably cheaper to scrap in situ and chuck them into a metal skip.
Yes sure, I’m assuming they’d have to be “draggable”, which seems unlikely...

Bob Price

Does anyone know if RTT shows non-passenger workings on IOW.? I know there's no live reports on the island, but would the schedules show up?
Just wondering as the testing should be starting soon and would be nice to see timings in advance. I suppose if it was done in the daytime it could only run in the usual 20-40 pattern. But at night it could be any time.
Yes they do. Search on the station and just click Detailed. Shows nearly everything, minus the odd light engine move.

bramling

Veteran Member
There is a table in the Wikipedia article on the Class 483, under "Fleet Details". Does anyone know if it is up to date?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_483

Looks reasonably okay to me.

002 has been stored at Ryde for quite a few years now, 004, 006, 007, 008 and 009 have been the active fleet for the last decade or more, with I think 004 and 009 out of use more recently, plus 007 under overhaul.

006 and 008 have been holding the fort for a while now, which with 100% availability required is why there have been issues.

jumble

Report from the Island Echo

IE191308-copy-990x679.jpg

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/first-new-train-for-island-line-arrives-on-the-isle-of-wight/
Does anybody know if it is true that the 38s will still be running in March as the article claims

This is the first time I have seen it suggested that they will carry on beyond January 4th and run after the line has been upgraded

Gloster

Established Member
Does anybody know if it is true that the 38s will still be running in March as the article claims

This is the first time I have seen it suggested that they will carry on beyond January 4th and run after the line has been upgraded

I have no inside information, but it is possible that one set might be kept running for testing work due to the reported late delivery of the new sets. I believe that there are going to be alterations to platform heights for the new sets, so there seems to be no possibility that they would be used for passengers after the line closes for rebuilding at the beginning of January. On the other hand, it could just be the paper getting confused.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I‘d assume not because, as has been discussed before, once the platforms are raised during the closure period the 38s won‘t be usable in public service.

tom1649

What's the point in overhauling unit 007 if it's going to see little or no use?

Chris125

Established Member

There isn't room in the depot itself, and while they could be craned into the carpark those old wagons were moved a few weeks back by road-rail machine - with 484001 supposedly moving the same way tonight it might have become the method of choice?

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
I've been wondering the same thing myself for a few months. It certainly looked pristine when k got a glimpse of it in the summer and in recent photos.

fgwrich

Established Member

I would quite heavily assume that it will see some use before retirement (no doubt covid events depending on the current situation changing) and it will enter preservation somewhere shortly afterwards. Probably donated.

I Wonder if the NRM has shown any interest in these? Ok, they were a London Underground unit but their longevity has learnt them a well deserved place in the history books.

Chris125

Established Member
It works! 484001 has just trundled off towards St Johns under battery power, a little bit of history.

Slowly passing Brading: https://twitter.com/PhotographyRue/status/1329958534923120641

I doubt that was clear until most of the work was already completed, the overhaul is getting on for three years now - besides they've struggled at times to even keep one going this year so it will still prove valuable especially in their final days/weeks while ensuring the 'celebrity' units enters preservation in good condition.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Seems strange, but wonderfully quaint, to have the sound of modern AC traction motors accompanied with a traditional whistle.
Does the S Stock not have something similar?

Tell you what though, it’s fantastic to see mainline sized rolling stock back on Island Line.

cav1975

Why would they do that? They cost o fortune to maintain compared to AC kit.

Have these units got batteries? I thought they were completely 3rd rail.
I think that the batteries were in the passenger saloons as a temporary fix. I have seen photographs showing the trains being delivered with some doors ajar and with cables going from the saloons to the bogies.

Chris125

Established Member
Have these units got batteries? I thought they were completely 3rd rail.

They attached a forklift battery to do some testing at Long Marston, it's not permanent.

It may be visible in this video? https://www.facebook.com/john.mitchell.90226628/videos/3616455335064977

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
It's a very straightforward affair to remove diesel or battery rafts from any of the D-Train variants. As above, a forklift and a few suitably trained men/women are all that is needed.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
What thoughts are there about the livery carried on the new units.
My first thought was it reminded me of the Bulleid designed electric locomotives and units of the Southern. Looked more like them than an original D78 !. More to do with the shape rather than the colour scheme of course but maybe the dark colour helps with that impression. Its a bit of a busy/odd scheme with the necessarily contrasting doors varying in colour depending on the surrounding body colour. I don't mind it as far as visual impression goes.

XAM2175

Established Member
What thoughts are there about the livery carried on the new units.
I rather like it, though I think it would better if the warning panel was a rectangle rather than the trapezium that cuts through the light clusters.

I also would have used a lighter blue, but that's a minor thing.

Journeyman

Established Member
However sad I am to see the 38s go, and with them a lot of Island Line's rickety charm, this is a huge step forward and it's great to see some investment in the island's railway. It gives it a secure future for the first time in years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does the S Stock not have something similar?

I think it does, yes, though it's very rare to hear whistles used on LU, I've heard them single-figures numbers of times.

I rather like it, though I think it would better if the warning panel was a rectangle rather than the trapezium that cuts through the light clusters.

I also would have used a lighter blue, but that's a minor thing.

I definitely think giving it dark coloured "jowls" makes it look a bit less odd. If you paint the whole front yellow it looks a bit like a Space Invaders ghost or something.

The livery does seem to suit it.

Does Brading have a high platform i.e. stepping down into the present "deep Tube" stock? The step up doesn't look massive, and that surprises me given how large it is at places on the Watford DC line shared with LU.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's a very straightforward affair to remove diesel or battery rafts from any of the D-Train variants. As above, a forklift and a few suitably trained men/women are all that is needed.
But that’s not quite what they did here, is it? They‘ve temporarily rigged a “forklift battery“ which is standing in the vestibule, it’s nothing like the interchangeable battery or diesel raft they‘ve also referred to.

Domh245

Established Member
I think it does, yes, though it's very rare to hear whistles used on LU, I've heard them single-figures numbers of times.

That depends where you are though - it's not uncommon to hear them around depots and away from the central tube sections!

I definitely think giving it dark coloured "jowls" makes it look a bit less odd. If you paint the whole front yellow it looks a bit like a Space Invaders ghost or something.

You don't have to fully yellow the front though - even rounding off the trapezium makes it look neater IMO (see attached half-hearted edit). I agree with the original post that the trapezium as it is currently cutting through the lights does look a bit odd

1605964494402.png

philthetube

Established Member
I hope someone’s filing these pictures of the ferry transfer, they can be brought out again in 30 years time when someone asks how can they possibly get the next new trains across the Solent... :D
30 years sounds unlikely, try 50 :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.