• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
SWR Live Departures website suggests that she will be back by close of play Sunday
Fingers crossed as I am going to visit next Friday

'No chance' according to someone in the know on Facebook and it rather looks like she's been dumped down the end with 004 and 006; it's not looking good...

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Just occurred to me, how is the difference in voltage being dealt with at the moment? Does the new stock not complain at only getting 630v? Obviously if there's any 38 stock on the same supply they can't turn it up?

theironroad

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries now reporting buses replace trains until end of Sunday 13th December.

So is the swr journey check site now. Thought I might pop over on Sunday but that's off now, well seems was off already as there were engineering works.

As the line is scheduled to close from 4 January to 31 March for upgrade work, I assume the new 484s take over from start of play in April.

Maybe with only a few weeks left, could they just keep the buses going and scrap the increasingly unreliable trains.

Was today inadvertently the last day?

Has the last train run already?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just occurred to me, how is the difference in voltage being dealt with at the moment? Does the new stock not complain at only getting 630v? Obviously if there's any 38 stock on the same supply they can't turn it up?
I’d expect 630 will be within the normal operating range of the DC to AC converter. Modern electronics will just draw more current if necessary.

pompeyfan

Established Member
So is the swr journey check site now. Thought I might pop over on Sunday but that's off now, well seems was off already as there were engineering works.

As the line is scheduled to close from 4 January to 31 March for upgrade work, I assume the new 484s take over from start of play in April.

Maybe with only a few weeks left, could they just keep the buses going and scrap the increasingly unreliable trains.

Was today inadvertently the last day?

Has the last train run already?

Sorry to be pedantic but there has been no service all day. The unit was booked exam today and failed

theironroad

Established Member
Sorry to be pedantic but there has been no service all day. The unit was booked exam today and failed

Ah, no worries. May not be pedantic if yesterday???? turns out to be the last day they ran. Will be another island line milestone.

Maybe they'll find enough gaffer tape next week to allow a brief return...

spark001uk

Established Member
I’d expect 630 will be within the normal operating range of the DC to AC converter. Modern electronics will just draw more current if necessary.
Ah OK. I just wondered if there was anything on them that wouldn't like it that's all. I guess it would make sense that they have already considered that.
I saw somewhere over on the IOW rail fb group a post saying they won't be tested on 3rd rail until the voltage is turned up. Guess they were mistaken.

Pete_uk

Established Member
It's going to be such an upgrade for them! I wonder how much of a spark effect there will be?!

VEP3417

interesting to see the size difference between the 2 trains, the new one almost looks half an old train coach taller, the old one looked so little next to it :lol:

Jan Mayen

I see that trains are suspended on Island Line all week. Given that it's closing down for major engineering work in about four weeks, I'm wondering if they might just throw in the towel with the old trains now. Anyone know if this is the case? I was hoping for one last trip, obviously.

Chris125

Established Member
I doubt you'll see a better height comparison than this, should be interesting to see how the views change with the higher windows:

483009 and 484001 Ryde St Johns Road 04/12/2020 by James_Pilbeam, on Flickr

I see that trains are suspended on Island Line all week. Given that it's closing down for major engineering work in about four weeks, I'm wondering if they might just throw in the towel with the old trains now. Anyone know if this is the case? I was hoping for one last trip, obviously.

Nope, they are still working on 007 and a month is too long to give up.

fgwrich

Established Member

Domh245

Established Member
They certainly make some intresting noises - Does anyone happen to know what that rising sound at 00:04 is, just after the brake release?

I would guess it's a cooling fan (and inverter to run it) for the traction electronics

D365

Veteran Member
Indeed it is, and that's some of the noisiest traction equipment I've heard in a long time.
It has to be; on the Class 230 that sound is muffled by the engines, but is still distinctly audible.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It has to be; on the Class 230 that sound is muffled by the engines, but is still distinctly audible.

I've been on the 230s a fair bit now and I don't recall the rising sound, just the inverter whine (which is more audible than the engines). You also get classic "traction motor noise" (i.e. them sounding like original D78s on LU) which is also more audible than the engines from on board, which I recall reading isn't actually traction motor noise at all but is caused by straight-cut gears in the transmission (which is why you used to get a similar noise when reversing a car, as reverse gear in most older cars is straight-cut).

D365

Veteran Member
I've been on the 230s a fair bit now and I don't recall the rising sound, just the inverter whine (which is more audible than the engines). You also get classic "traction motor noise" (i.e. them sounding like original D78s on LU) which is also more audible than the engines from on board, which I recall reading isn't actually traction motor noise at all but is caused by straight-cut gears in the transmission (which is why you used to get a similar noise when reversing a car, as reverse gear in most older cars is straight-cut).
Ah, I was referring to the three-phase inverters specifically (which is what I assumed Nym was referring to by "traction equipment").

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah, I was referring to the three-phase inverters specifically (which is what I assumed Nym was referring to by "traction equipment").

Fair enough. FWIW I find the 230s from inside sound more like an EMU than a DMU, the engine noise is very quiet. The noise level is very similar to something like a 507/508, or indeed a D78 on LU.

D365

Veteran Member
Fair enough. FWIW I find the 230s from inside sound more like an EMU than a DMU, the engine noise is very quiet. The noise level is very similar to something like a 507/508, or indeed a D78 on LU.
I haven't tried any of the production units yet. But can agree with that on the prototype. It'll be interesting to sample the 484s from a passenger perspective.

Domh245

Established Member
If you mean near the roof line, I think it is the side destination screens, or a reflection from it.

It's not the side destination screens - those are in the windows (and in the leading car is directly below one of the lights)

I would hazard a guess at them being de-icing lights

Status
Not open for further replies.