• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Only TfW Have taken up the Walkthrough option, the SWR Units having the same arrangement as the WMT Version. Speaking of which, how does that actually work?
I believe what they have done is that they have retained the conventional door that was installed on the D78s, but replaced the handle with a PRM-compliant version. They have also added an electric locking mechanism, and a big PRM push button to release the door lock and allow it to be opened with the handle.

In other words: you push the button to release the handle; you turn the handle to open the door; she swallowed the spider to catch the fly - I don't know why she swallowed the fly! :D

Possibly someone can confirm this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
I believe what they have done is that they have retained the conventional door that was installed on the D78s, but replaced the handle with a PRM-compliant version. They have also added an electric locking mechanism, and a big PRM push button to release the door lock and allow it to be opened with the handle.

Will they bother with that on the 484s? I think they've said that guards can use them but there's no need for passengers to change carriages on the Island.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Only TfW Have taken up the Walkthrough option, the SWR Units having the same arrangement as the WMT Version. Speaking of which, how does that actually work?

So the picture shown is of a TfW unit, then?

On the WMT units, a UIC style rubber bumper gangway has been added around the existing doors. They've then replaced the existing doorhandle with a longer, flimsy-feeling one, then added a standard open button, which doesn't actually open anything per-se, but instead releases a solenoid which "unlocks" the door and (I think) pushes it open very slightly, so you can then, er, use the handle to open it conventionally.

Most people ignore this bizarre mechanism (which clearly exists to comply with the letter of PRM-TSI while totally ignoring the spirit of it) and use the handle in the conventional manner, at least until such time as it falls off because it's so flimsy (and yes, I have seen one fall off).

In other words: you push the button to release the handle; you turn the handle to open the door; she swallowed the spider to catch the fly - I don't know why she swallowed the fly! :D

Possibly someone can confirm this?

Not quite - the pushbutton doesn't have to be used if you don't want to. It's bizarre, and clearly designed for complying with the law without having to spend a single penny more than necessary to do so.

fgwrich

Established Member
So the picture shown is of a TfW unit, then?

On the WMT units, a UIC style rubber bumper gangway has been added around the existing doors. They've then replaced the existing doorhandle with a longer, flimsy-feeling one, then added a standard open button, which doesn't actually open anything per-se, but instead releases a solenoid which "unlocks" the door and (I think) pushes it open very slightly, so you can then, er, use the handle to open it conventionally.

Most people ignore this bizarre mechanism (which clearly exists to comply with the letter of PRM-TSI while totally ignoring the spirit of it) and use the handle in the conventional manner, at least until such time as it falls off because it's so flimsy (and yes, I have seen one fall off).

Not quite - the pushbutton doesn't have to be used if you don't want to. It's bizarre, and clearly designed for complying with the law without having to spend a single penny more than necessary to do so.

It is indeed, the fly-through footage by Paul Clifton & photos on the internet indicated that the ends remained the same as the current D78's with the original door / large window layout. You can see the unchanged ends in this photo from the Island Echo. Personally I feel it's a bit of a shame that the SWR refurb is very much a like for like, than a change to really see some innovation on the 230s, but they will be a lot better than the current state of the elderly 38 stock.

Also - the Walkthrough picture is captioned "A Class 230 that now has … walkthrough carriage".

Goldfish62

Established Member
It is indeed, the fly-through footage by Paul Clifton & photos on the internet indicated that the ends remained the same as the current D78's with the original door / large window layout. You can see the unchanged ends in this photo from the Island Echo. Personally I feel it's a bit of a shame that the SWR refurb is very much a like for like, than a change to really see some innovation on the 230s, but they will be a lot better than the current state of the elderly 38 stock.

Also - the Walkthrough picture is captioned "A Class 230 that now has … walkthrough carriage".
Under the skin though the cab is completely new.

torten

How many of the Class 483's are still operational? Most of the time on the Radio it appears that they only have one working unit?

WAO

Pity the Electric Railway Museum at Coventry is no more.

It might not be at Coventry but its artefacts (all 41 vehicles were rescued at months' notice) survive at various sites in the Midlands, East Anglia and Kent. It has successfully operated battery locos, Spondon, for instance worked many weekends reputedly needing charging only four times a year costing £15 a time. Its Class 503 unit, of a class once thought of for the IoW (short cars at 17m, sliding doors and most recent stock built in 1956) weighs in at only 77t would be capable of battery operation. It would make a superb demonstrator and serve the heritage movement better than another new coal-fired steam loco.

Looking forward to the 484's.

WAO

Vespa

Established Member
How many of the Class 483's are still operational? Most of the time on the Radio it appears that they only have one working unit?
When I left the island on Tuesday just gone, there were 2 units operational operating 2 tph, the third one is still out of action because of vandalism, when I first arrived on Friday it was 1 train then none on Sunday.

The trains are essentially being nursed along to the end of the year by gaffa tape and rubber bands.

Rick1984

Is 007 back in action then? And if so I take it is still breaking down despite overhaul

Vespa

Established Member
Is 007 back in action then? And if so I take it is still breaking down despite overhaul

I've only spotted 006 008 with 004 in the sidings with a grey paint to cover the graffiti, no 007 seen.

While I was there 006 was the workhorse keeping the service going.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Its Class 503 unit, of a class once thought of for the IoW (short cars at 17m, sliding doors and most recent stock built in 1956) weighs in at only 77t would be capable of battery operation. It would make a superb demonstrator and serve the heritage movement better than another new coal-fired steam loco.

Especially if they retained it's LMS livery.

ColinC

I've only spotted 006 008 with 004 in the sidings with a grey paint to cover the graffiti, no 007 seen.

While I was there 006 was the workhorse keeping the service going.
On Wednesday, 006 and 008 were both working and, as Vespa said, 004 was in the sidings at St John's Rd. 009 was at the back of the yard, and another unit, which carried no visible identification that I could see, was in front of it. Given its state of disrepair, I assume this was 002. 007 was apparently in the shed being worked on.

Chris125

Established Member
When I left the island on Tuesday just gone, there were 2 units operational operating 2 tph, the third one is still out of action because of vandalism, when I first arrived on Friday it was 1 train then none on Sunday.

004 was withdrawn about a year ago, long before the graffiti attack - 006 and 008 have been the only operational units since then, though there's still work being done to 007 in the shed.

torten

004 was withdrawn about a year ago, long before the graffiti attack - 006 and 008 have been the only operational units since then, though there's still work being done to 007 in the shed.
Is that still under overhaul?

alex397

Established Member
Can also confirm that 006 and 008 are the only two units currently operational. I was on the island on Thursday and Friday, and a full service was thankfully running for my trips (except for a trespasser at Lake who was being chased by the police, so power was off for a while)

Three dilapidated units were stabled at Ryde St Johns Road, including 004 which is now partly white to cover the graffiti. All 3 of those units looked a right state, with graffiti damage and broken windows. It looks like security at the St John's depot is pretty non existant, with graffiti on the shed too, as well as on the station building. Hopefully the 484s won't be targetted as soon as they arrive. Who would have thought it for such a sleepy island (although judging by some of the youths there, i'm not surprised!)

Chris125

Established Member
Who would have thought it for such a sleepy island (although judging by some of the youths there, i'm not surprised!)

We have the odd scrote who'd do a quick tag when they think no-ones looking but even that's incredibly rare on the Island - the graffiti attack at St Johns was much larger and 'professional' than anything normally seen here so I'd guess some of those idiots that travel around specifically targeting railways. Normally ferry prices are enough of a deterrent!

A heads-up for anyone travelling; guards are selling tickets again from tomorrow: https://onthewight.com/ticket-sales-on-island-line-trains-resumes-from-monday/

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member

Chris125

Established Member
I had wondered who Vivarail's testing partner has become. AIUI VCT at Tyseley are no longer Vivarail's exclusive partner for testing and validating their products. I wonder who has been running 230006 / 007 and / 008 unless SLC has been operating for some weeks.

Adrian Shooter and Cath left Vintage Trains earlier this year so it looks like this is their new venture, and unsurprisingly they've taken the Vivarail work with them.

fgwrich

Established Member
Adrian Shooter and Cath left Vintage Trains earlier this year so it looks like this is their new venture, and unsurprisingly they've taken the Vivarail work with them.

That certainly appears to be the case, I thought I recognised certain names while browsing through their website. A quick look at companies house reveals so:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Energy

Established Member
A 484 car is currently going by road, saw it go past, I don't know what number it is.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is that still under overhaul?

3007 is very unlikely to return to normal service as things stand.
If one of 3006 and 3008 fails, the xx38 ex-Shanklin and xx07 ex-Pier Head will be cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.