• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm presuming you meant 450, and from memory when the key is removed on the desiros the tail lights are automatically put on at the front of the unit (alongside the headlights)

Ah yes, 450. I didn’t look at it properly and thought it was a 458.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Slightly OT, but what’s the meaning behind headlights and taillights on that [450] please?
Putting the marker lights on alongside the tails is used as an informal visual indication/reminder to the shunter there that the stock has been prepped and good to go. If a Desiro has just reds then it probably hasn’t been prepped since arriving in the yard.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Why are these 701s 4 years late? Crazy to think they are going from storage yard to storage yard. To think up until recently Long Marston was filled with the 196s for West Midland Railways and now the same location is being filled with 701s way out of their comfort zone. Mad world isn't it?
Bombardier are apparently unable to build them so they work satisfactorily

Invincible

701033 on 5Q50 this morning.
Looks like it made it from Eastleigh to Waterloo, then as 5Q51 back to Eastleigh, then instead of Poole (due to the fatality?), made it to Staines sidings. Then as 5Q52 is on way back to Eastleigh?

Box

701010 was at Reading today (5Q46). I think it’s the first time I’ve seen one testing where they’re actually supposed to operate, maybe a sign of some progress?

Invincible

701010 was at Reading today (5Q46). I think it’s the first time I’ve seen one testing where they’re actually supposed to operate, maybe a sign of some progress?
Think they have been testing to Reading before, with two 701s on test today, maybe the software working better?
As 5Q47 back to Clapham Junction

3973EXL

Established Member
47749 701051
47749 701034

Last edited:

Pompey00

Caught photos of these 2 bad boys sat in Clapham junction sidings whilst my train had stopped on the platform.

Attachments

• IMG_5477.jpeg
    IMG_5477.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5476.jpeg
    IMG_5476.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
There have been a limited number of previous test runs to Reading. The picture shows a 701 at Wokingham on 1 November 2021.
IMG_0925.jpeg

STINT47

When the trains are finally in service and have several months usage under their belts I hope a public enquiry us setup to see what has gone wrong. As a fare payer and tax payer I and others deserve to know so that future lessons can hopefully be learnt.

Established Member
When the trains are finally in service and have several months usage under their belts I hope a public enquiry us setup to see what has gone wrong. As a fare payer and tax payer I and others deserve to know so that future lessons can hopefully be learnt.
I wonder how long a public enquiry would take and how much it would cost. As a taxpayer I doubt I would consider it worthwhile. As a farepayer on SWR, mainly using class 159s, I might feel that the next time there's a big new order for trains on the southwestern network will be so far ahead that the people who will then be doing it will have largely forgotten about the events of 2017 - 2023.

Meerkat

Established Member
I wonder how long a public enquiry would take and how much it would cost. As a taxpayer I doubt I would consider it worthwhile. As a farepayer on SWR, mainly using class 159s, I might feel that the next time there's a big new order for trains on the southwestern network will be so far ahead that the people who will then be doing it will have largely forgotten about the events of 2017 - 2023.
How public and useful would it be? Lots of it would be commercially sensitive, and everyone will be heavily lawyered into saying as little as possible to avoid creating a legal case against their employer from one of the other parties.

Invincible

How public and useful would it be? Lots of it would be commercially sensitive, and everyone will be heavily lawyered into saying as little as possible to avoid creating a legal case against their employer from one of the other parties.
Also isn't it under the present system the leasing company Angel and manufacturer Alstom taking the loss, rather than the taxpayer?. However when good they will make healthy profits (from ticket sales and subsidies) to easily cover the loss.

Bumpkin

Not sure it has been picked up here yet but, noticed on a journey through Clapham earlier, and confirmed in the picture above from @spark001uk that it seems the 701s have now be cut in electrically. The tail lamps have gone from the units in the middle roads and the tail lamps on the unit can just me made out. These units must have had the necessary capacitor alterations made by Alstom.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not sure it has been picked up here yet but, noticed on a journey through Clapham earlier, and confirmed in the picture above from @spark001uk that it seems the 701s have now be cut in electrically. The tail lamps have gone from the units in the middle roads and the tail lamps on the unit can just me made out. These units must have had the necessary capacitor alterations made by Alstom.
So well after other Aventra units. But it's at least progress I suppose.

Bigfoot

Also isn't it under the present system the leasing company Angel and manufacturer Alstom taking the loss, rather than the taxpayer?. However when good they will make healthy profits (from ticket sales and subsidies) to easily cover the loss.
It is indeed. (the leasing company for the 701 is Rock Rail not Angel)

Snow1964

Established Member

Next annual accounts of Rock Rail (not Angel) should be published in a few weeks, and all will become clear if they are loosing money, or being fully compensated by manufacturer

deepeetw

701014 just went past me leaving Clapham Yard (destination unknown), looked like a bunch of SWR bods in the cab (could see the name badges).

Can confirm that the two on the Windsor side of the yard are cut in all the time now (marker lights are a bit pathetic in daytime though!).