• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Goldfish62

Established Member
But its barely 2,000 if you take the figures for March alone (39 round trips), putting it 13th, just above class 769
2000 Mp701D seems pretty reasonable for service entry. From memory this is entirely typical of 2nd generation EMUs.

The terrible 552 Mp701D for the 777s is not just one period but the 12-month rolling average, yet the fleet is now operating the majority of services on Merseyrail.

Apparently it was because there are too many foot and level crossings on the network and therefore it was justified to keep the yellow
And while I'm no great fan of yellow ends for the sake of it, it has actually improved the looks of the 701!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

What's the Combined Volume?
Ian Allan spotting books of old, and more recent versions by platform 5, etc, including everything that exists on the national network and more, not just the old 'locoshed' spotting books that were largely about main line locos and units and their depot allocations.
In my old man's days of spotting kettles, there were no published books at all. He and his mates just noted down loco numbers, if they could be seen under the grime, and worked out for themselves how many loco's of a certain class might exist - youngsters of today have no idea how easy, and on a plate, they have it, in the railway spotting game!...:lol:

Big Jumby 74

Also conveniently matches the colour of the "arterio" branding.
I would wager someone with artistic flair in the PR type dept., used the yellow front example to work up their idea for branding. I don't know, just taking an educated guess of how these things tend to work...;)

Bigfoot

So what? That's just like any other new train that enters service. Look at the appalling reliability of the 777s. That hasn't stopped their continued introduction en masse. The 345s had terrible reliability when first introduced and even now it's not brilliant. The 458s were terrible for the first few years.

If you expect every problem to be ironed out before full service introduction then no new train would ever be introduced.
Or there are issues that are still delaying the full introduction, be it staffing, faults or any other number of reasons. You seem to think that SWR should just use them whatever is the reason behind the delay. Obviously there is something stopping their introduction currently and no one here knows the real reasons behind it. Everything is speculaton and rumors now.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
In my old man's days of spotting kettles, there were no published books at all.
Combined volumes have been going for over 80 years. The business started because Mr Allen's work in the publiucity department of the Southern Railway often involved answering queries about its locomotives, so in 1942 he started publishing a listing of them, later extending to the other members of the Big Four. The "Combined Volume" was a combination of those "Big Four" pocket books.
Michael Palin, in his first Travelogue "Confessions of a trainspotter" describes underlining numbers in his Combined Volume back in 1955.

The original individual volumes were divided by company, even after nationalisation (with the "standard" types included in all four volumes) but after the end of steam the separate books were for locomotives, diesel units, and electric units. I don't know when the first Combioned Volme was published, but it was pretty early on. (These illustrated below (1944, 1948 and 1950) are facsimiles, not original editions - the originals led a hard life, stuffed in pockets and with the pages turned by grimy fingers in steam-age engine sheds. Given their purpsoe, a mint edition will be as rare as rocking-horse manure)
s-l500.png

9781910809600lg.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Goldfish62

Established Member
You seem to think that SWR should just use them whatever is the reason behind the delay.
You've got a fertile imagination if that's what you read into my comments. I only recently posted that we're all speculating on the delay and none of us actually know the reasons.

There's been a regular theme on this thread implying that the units must be faultless before they enter service and my point was to illustrate that that would be holding them to much higher standards than any other rolling stock, past or present.

DMckduck97

The 0633 off waterloo next week is a 701, not sure how much of the diagram it will work but gone are the ghost services.

Snow1964

Established Member
Does this mean the soft launch is over? Since it's going to run a diagram
Technically instead of a preview extra service, will now be a start to phasing them in

But the term soft launch covers both, only when they start ramping up introduction does it no longer become launch. Although different people will no doubt use different terminology definitions

Big Jumby 74

Combined volumes have been going for over 80 years. The business started because Mr Allen's work in the publiucity department of the Southern Railway often involved answering queries about its locomotives, so in 1942 he started publishing a listing of them
Quite so. I was/am referring to pre and early WW2 days, prior to when Mr Allan was known about for most in those days. My old man was evacuated from the Smoke up North in 1940, and was fortunate enough in being billeted somewhere with a railway at the bottom of the garden, which was largely the domain of pre grouping locos, and a good many of the (then) new kids on the block, 8F's as I know them. Might be why I have a soft spot for them?

DMckduck97

A small step in the right direction.
I'm not all too familiar with how busy specific services are but I suspect between Tuesday and Thursday we may see some heavy loadings.

A true test.

Does this mean the soft launch is over? Since it's going to run a diagram
I think it would be closer to the term being canned if it was working a full day's diagram but I'm almost 100% sure it will be going back to either Wimbledon or Clapham before the evening peak.

I'm hoping this also means agreements with the unions are progressing well, and the general programme is moving onto the next stage being the actual rollout

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The 0633 off waterloo next week is a 701, not sure how much of the diagram it will work but gone are the ghost services.
You're the second person to suggest that diagram will be a 701, but there is nothing on RTT to confirm it.

Also, there is no suggestion of an ECS working to take that one out of circulation until the end of traffic, and others have suggested that the fisrt timetabled diagram will a peak hours only one.

However, there is one that runs two and a quarter round trips.
5U07 0540 Feltham depot to Twickenham arr 0619
2U07 0627 Twickenham to Windsor arr 0659
2U14 0726 Windsor to Waterloo arr 0824
2U17 0833 Waterloo to Windsor arr 0929
2U24 0953 Windsor to Waterloo arr 1049
5Y87 1057 Waterloo to Wimbledon depot (this ECS is the next departure from platform 20 after 2U24 arrives there)

2U27 is taken up by a train that arrives from a Hounslow Loop service (2R17)

Nothing to suggest that stock will be a 701 either (its a 2x450 today)

CarrotPie

You're the second person to suggest that diagram will be a 701, but there is nothing on RTT to confirm it.

Also, there is no suggestion of an ECS working to take that one out of circulation until the end of traffic, and others have suggested that the fisrt timetabled diagram will a peak hours only one.

However, there is one that runs two and a quarter round trips.
5U07 0540 Feltham depot to Twickenham arr 0619
2U07 0627 Twickenham to Windsor arr 0659
2U14 0726 Windsor to Waterloo arr 0824
2U17 0833 Waterloo to Windsor arr 0929
2U24 0953 Windsor to Waterloo arr 1049
5Y87 1057 Waterloo to Wimbledon depot (this ECS is the next departure from platform 20 after 2U24 arrives there)

2U27 is taken up by a train that arrives from a Hounslow Loop service (2R17)

Nothing to suggest that stock will be a 701 either (its a 2x450 today)
But then it has to get to Feltham in the morning...

TEW

Established Member
2U09, 2U16, 2U19, 2U26, 2U29, 2U36 all show as booked 10-701 from Monday. Then swapped out for 8-450 for the remainder of the day.

Snow1964

Established Member
2U09, 2U16, 2U19, 2U26, 2U29, 2U36 all show as booked 10-701 from Monday. Then swapped out for 8-450 for the remainder of the day.
So about third of a working day

Is it still 5 of 7 days, not recognising trains actually operate 7 days a week (ie will only operate about 5/21st of a week),

basically 1 diagram, working less than quarter of normal operating hours

Goldfish62

Established Member
Technically instead of a preview extra service, will now be a start to phasing them in
The (extreme) cynic in me thinks that by doing this SWR can claim that the 701s have entered service properly, then sit back for another 3 months while no progress whatsoever on their full introduction is made.

markle

SEtrains

Realtimetrains is now showing 5Y89 on Monday to take the train operating 2U36 back to Wimbledon.

That’s 7 hours on the SWR network for the 701. It will test the reliability.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Realtimetrains is now showing 5Y89 on Monday to take the train operating 2U36 back to Wimbledon.

And to complete the jigsaw, (as ascertained from platform occupation at Waterloo on RTT)

• the incoming 2C36 from Reading arr 1334 (p23) takes over the Windsor diagram, starting with from 2U39 at 1403, instead of operating 2C39 as it did previously
  • an extra 5C39 inserted from Wimbledon CS to Waterloo (p17) to take over the Reading diagram, starting with 2C39 at 1350