• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Goldfish62

Established Member
The timescales involved just make this year seem unlikely. A fair number of staff are going to need to be trained before the units are introduced, unless it is just a very limited introduction.
Yes, I'd have thought a very limited introduction would be the most likely one, say a few trips on 2-3 days a week. That's been the pattern with previous new stock introductions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

southern442

Established Member
Yes, I'd have thought a very limited introduction would be the most likely one, say a few trips on 2-3 days a week. That's been the pattern with previous new stock introductions.
My guess would be that it's been such a long build-up for these units that they probably just want at least some of them in service as soon as possible, just to say that they have entered service (plus it would help to fill the 707 gap). So I'd say they might want to get a few of them ready and in service for the short-term and then focus on the proper introduction of the units and replacement of older ones.

davews

Followed 031 into Waterloo yesterday doing 5Q50 which seems a daily round robin thing:
All the doors had a big 'do not board' thing behind them. So seems quite a lot running around, hopefully their fault free mileage will soon be reached.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I passed Feltham depot twice yesterday and 006 was there as usual, with headlights, interior and destination display lit up. Presumably ongoing staff familiarisation?

My guess would be that it's been such a long build-up for these units that they probably just want at least some of them in service as soon as possible, just to say that they have entered service (plus it would help to fill the 707 gap). So I'd say they might want to get a few of them ready and in service for the short-term and then focus on the proper introduction of the units and replacement of older ones.
It was certainly the case with the 458s, Desiros and 707s. Get a unit in service ASAP on very limited workings, with full introduction following later.

hwl

Established Member
I passed Feltham depot twice yesterday and 006 was there as usual, with headlights, interior and destination display lit up. Presumably ongoing staff familiarisation?

It was certainly the case with the 458s, Desiros and 707s. Get a unit in service ASAP on very limited workings, with full introduction following later.
There are issues with cab etc. modifications, software and fault free mileage...
Recent stock introductions have shown that a (surprisingly) large number of units are needed initial just to get a few in service - effectively the base layer of a large pyramid (e.g. a large pool is needed for a continuous driver training programme).
Enough to cover for 707, 458 and the worst 455/456 would be ~50% of the 701 fleet. But half level (~20-25%) that would be minimum initial target to remove the pressures.

Probably not much point aiming for in passenger service till the cab mods are complete on most units as this enlarges the pool of units to find that could potentially obtain for fault free mileage quickest.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There are issues with cab etc. modifications, software and fault free mileage...
Recent stock introductions have shown that a (surprisingly) large number of units are needed initial just to get a few in service - effectively the base layer of a large pyramid (e.g. a large pool is needed for a continuous driver training programme).
Enough to cover for 707, 458 and the worst 455/456 would be ~50% of the 701 fleet. But half level (~20-25%) that would be minimum initial target to remove the pressures.

Probably not much point aiming for in passenger service till the cab mods are complete on most units as this enlarges the pool of units to find that could potentially obtain for fault free mileage quickest.
Actually, yes you're right about a large initial pool being needed. It would certainly particularly need to be the case with Aventras!

WestAnglian

Followed 031 into Waterloo yesterday doing 5Q50 which seems a daily round robin thing:
All the doors had a big 'do not board' thing behind them. So seems quite a lot running around, hopefully their fault free mileage will soon be reached.
I saw 031 at Waterloo on 17th August with Weymouth displayed as destination. I saw the same train a bit later (at 1034) pass Surbiton. As someone who hasn't been following the 701 saga I actually thought it was in service.

Bessie

New yellow wheelchair ramps have appeared at stations such as Wokingham and Martins Heron which are marked for Class 701 use only

Bigfoot

New yellow wheelchair ramps have appeared at stations such as Wokingham and Martins Heron which are marked for Class 701 use only
There have been 701 ramps at most stations if not all that the 701s will potentially call at for many months, possibly close to a year. I'd be surprised if those had only just appeared. Most have been marked with do not use, especially at Waterloo/very busy stations.

5Q40 0935 Eastleigh Depot to Bournemouth Depot running with a Class 701 for mods (118 of them) 1st unit to be done.

Unfortunately I dont know which one it is, any kind soul help please.

route101

Established Member
5Q40 0935 Eastleigh Depot to Bournemouth Depot running with a Class 701 for mods (118 of them) 1st unit to be done.

Unfortunately I dont know which one it is, any kind soul help please.
Seen this go through Southampton. Did not ID it.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
701 029 is out and about doing tests today; I've seen it at both Waterloo ( former International side ) and Wimbledon this morning.

Bigfoot

There was a 701 that appeared to be emergency coupled to a 159 in Wimbledon depot this morning.

Can anyone help with which unit was on :

5Q61 10+14 Wimbledon Park Depot to Bournemouth Depot and
5Q62 14+10 Bournemouth Depot to Eastleigh Depot yesterday please.

Thanks in advance.

The_Train

Established Member
Can anyone help with which unit was on :

5Q61 10+14 Wimbledon Park Depot to Bournemouth Depot and
5Q62 14+10 Bournemouth Depot to Eastleigh Depot yesterday please.

Thanks in advance.
You'll probably have more luck posting a request like this in either of the TOPS Request threads :)

D6975

Established Member
I saw 031 at Waterloo on 17th August with Weymouth displayed as destination. I saw the same train a bit later (at 1034) pass Surbiton. As someone who hasn't been following the 701 saga I actually thought it was in service.
Weymouth? That's a massive clue that it wasn't in service. I strongly suspect that 701s (10car) won't be allowed to go there due to excessive current draw when they pass a 444 going the other way. (or worse still another 701 (10)

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Weymouth? That's a massive clue that it wasn't in service. I strongly suspect that 701s (10car) won't be allowed to go there due to excessive current draw when they pass a 444 going the other way. (or worse still another 701 (10)
Quite the contrary, in fact. A 701 (10 car) was tested on several occasions in a possession between Wareham and Weymouth, and with a 444 going the other way past it.
So it's not so much that the 701s won't be able to go down there in service, more that they just aren't intended to.

Bigfoot

Quite the contrary, in fact. A 701 (10 car) was tested on several occasions in a possession between Wareham and Weymouth, and with a 444 going the other way past it.
So it's not so much that the 701s won't be able to go down there in service, more that they just aren't intended to.
You can do all sorts in a possession during testing. There is a big difference between controlled test environments and day to day running.

Units in multiple are allowed to run to Weymouth, they just need planning/authorisation to do so.

Snow1964

Established Member
Anyone know if any of these units have entered service? They are due for service this year.

No, in the series of Press releases in March 2017 when franchise was awarded, the new trains were due to enter service from Autumn 2018 and be all in service by end of 2019.

So all should have been in service, and everyone should have been fully trained pre Covid, the first trains are currently over 1000 days late in starting to enter service.

Providing a link to DfT Press Release, which rather demonstrates that SWR haven’t delivered on list of improvements that were promised.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
701 031 was on test at Waterloo when I passed through at 10.25; platform 5 or 7 I think... Was in a rush so not paying attention...