• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Bigfoot

A number of units have been delivered with cab mods applied at build, so one would hope progress has already been made!
I would hope so! We were informed the first 10 (possibly 15, it's been a long time since I read the info from Aslef) would have the old cabs, and would be sent back for mods. With the remaining cabs being built correctly from the factory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would hope so! We were informed the first 10 (possibly 15, it's been a long time since I read the info from Aslef) would have the old cabs, and would be sent back for mods. With the remaining cabs being built correctly from the factory.
Have the mods ever been described? There seems to have been a lot of discussion but very little detail so far - and you wouldn‘t think it would be confidential..

Goldfish62

Established Member
So have the mods been approved by Aslef, therefore opening the way for crew training to commence once fault-free running is complete?

Have they now also got to have the ironing board seats replaced before entering service, as Grant Shapps recently insisted?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Have the mods ever been described? There seems to have been a lot of discussion but very little detail so far - and you wouldn‘t think it would be confidential..
They've been outlined by ASLEF Company Council to their members through periodical divisional updates, so they're certainly not a complete secret. It's obviously up to them to release that information publicly if they want to though.

hwl

Established Member
Have they now also got to have the ironing board seats replaced before entering service, as Grant Shapps recently insisted?
What the really meant was implement the recommendations of RSSB's 2019 seating report where sensible

3973EXL

Established Member
It's STP, so expect it to be activated in the early hours of tomorrow. Or not.!
It's also a Q path along with a 0217 LD move off Leicester.

Now a 0700 LD Leicester - EH & 0652 EH - Widnes 26/05.
We shall see.

0O69 Leicester - EH ran 47739
5Q80 26/05

5Q10 Widnes - EH 25/05 didn't run.

Last edited:

Does anyone know which 701 has gone back to Widnes on 5Q80 today please from Eastleigh Depot with 47739 ?

Thanks in advance.

5Q10
47739 + 701005, passed Flitwick 1049.

Wait for it.... 7 early!!
Unit now has the Arterio embossed behind the cab end door on both sides/ends as it passed through Eastleigh earlier, whether thats what it
went to Widnes for, who knows !!!!!!!

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Unit now as the Arterio embossed behind the cab end door on both sides/ends as it passed through Eastleigh earlier, whether thats what it
went to Widnes for, who knows !!!!!!!
It went for cab modifications, several of the earlier units need to go back for them.

Another 701 is heading south on 5Q10 0718 Derby to Eastleigh Depot today with 47739, anyone know which one please ?

Thanks in advance.

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems to have gone quiet on the delivery front…..

If you read the Press Releases from time of placing order, was no deliveries in 2021......
..... because would all be in service before 2021

Not really sure where they would park them if they were delivered as seem to not be burning midnight oil to get anyone trained to use them.

Bessie

A 701 was stored in the new Feltham stabling sidings today. First time I’ve seen one there

davews

Wondered what it was when I passed there on Wednesday, probably the same one. Also passed one by the Staines Loop later. So seem plenty around, but sat in sidings doesn't get the drivers trained.