• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

bahnause

Indeed. The 345s still have software issues. Hasn't stopped them being used in service for the past seven years.
Furthermore, a lot of the rolling stock also receives software updates on an ongoing basis. And not only minor ones. Some of our >25 year old rolling stock is to recieve a new traction software to improve brake and traction effort in bad adhesion conditions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
From what I understand the delay in bringing more diagrams is nothing to do with the trains, just the ongoing willy waving contest between SWT and ASLEF.

From what I understand the delay in bringing more diagrams is nothing to do with the trains, just the ongoing willy waving contest between SWT and ASLEF.
ASLEF? Why more issues with ASLEF? I assumed we were past that when the cab was changed and the improvements to the train were made. I'd expect the RMT to be more of an issue

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
That would explain a lot!

In this scenario DfT will have noted the sluggage growth in passenger numbers on SWR, particularly in the peaks, and decided that they can get away an 8-car suburban railway and no additional services indefinitely.

It also means that there's no incentive to commission and bring into service more units.

The 701s would be a quick and convenient replacement for South Eastern's Networkers...
The DT is referring to any new units being ordered wouldn't cost the taxpayer anything they are taken into traffic. We already know that SWR have taken a fair few 701s into traffic so they were probably liable for leasing charges so that would mean two fleets are being paid for. One would hope that there are provisions in the leasing contracts that if units remain unfit for use then no charges are being incurred but given the secrecy veil around the 701s who knows what the truth is.

TEW

Established Member
ASLEF? Why more issues with ASLEF? I assumed we were past that when the cab was changed and the improvements to the train were made. I'd expect the RMT to be more of an issue
The RMT 701 dispute was settled 3 years ago now as has been mentioned several times in this thread.

Goldfish62

Established Member
We're inevitably going round and round in circles again on this thread, which isn't surprising given the seeming veil of secrecy and mystery surrounding the delays to these units.

There's now a long and wide ranging list of suggestions as to why training hasn't yet started. One or more might be correct, or none might be correct! I don't think any of us here knows the answer to that, or if anyone does, they can't say.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
We're inevitably going round and round in circles again on this thread, which isn't surprising given the seeming veil of secrecy and mystery surrounding the delays to these units.

There's now a long and wide ranging list of suggestions as to why training hasn't yet started. One or more might be correct, or none might be correct! I don't think any of us here knows the answer to that, or if anyone does, they can't say.
When SWR finally runs out of spare units and services become short formed or removed from the timetable perhaps a few letters/emails will flow to MPs who then ask questions in the HoC

Only 5 car routes were planned to be the likes of Ascot to Farnham and Guildford to Aldershot. Part of the issue with the cabs was that 2* 5 car had to be effectively identical to a 10 car in platform postioning.
Oh right, makes sense. I guess not all stations are compatible with 2 , 5 car formats? And doesent that technically make the unit longer slightly. Given that the cab sticks out and adds extra length?

Also i have a feeling those 5 cars units will somehow make their way to off peak services from london somehow at some point in their lifetime. I could be wrong.

Won't be long with the 458s getting converted to /4s
Id love to see them. Apparently they've been put on hold because not enough 701s are in service. And there isnt a huge demand for them, so my guess is that Porterbrook or whoever, can take their time upgrading them.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Oh right, makes sense. I guess not all stations are compatible with 2 , 5 car formats? And doesent that technically make the unit longer slightly. Given that the cab sticks out and adds extra length?
The redesigned blunter cab front was specifically so that 2x5 = 10. The end cars are the same length as the intermediate ones, so the door positions will be the same whether the middle two cars of the train have cabs or not.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The redesigned blunter cab front was specifically so that 2x5 = 10. The end cars are the same length as the intermediate ones, so the door positions will be the same whether the middle two cars of the train have cabs or not.
And the not minor issue that it enables a 2 x 5 formation to be able to use P1-4 at Waterloo and the driver is still able to see the starting signal.

Snow1964

Established Member
There was 2 ways of doing it, take away bit of the passenger saloon, or shorten the cab, they opted for latter.

It was based on idea that once fleet was in full service then could mark the inner suburban platforms with door areas, and do not stand here notices to let passengers off, useful at stations with high churn like Wimbledon and Clapham Junction, to speed up station stops. An alternative would have been third set of door

Not that SWR has ever focused on speed, many of its suburban services are slower in the peak than 30 years ago (after 455s were introduced), and lot slower than in Southern Railways days. Some journeys take over 130% of former timings

Meerkat

Established Member
How fast are the doors on 701s?
They must be faster than the glacial 450 ones I guess.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not that SWR has ever focused on speed, many of its suburban services are slower in the peak than 30 years ago (after 455s were introduced), and lot slower than in Southern Railways days. Some journeys take over 130% of former timings
The laudible, if over-ambitious, aim of the now-defunct franchise spec of 2017 was to change all that, effectively turning the inner-suburban / Windsor lines into a high frequency, fast metro network to cope with ever-increasing demand.

Roll on seven years and things have gone backwards, with SWR often feeling like it's becoming a left behind backwater while its neighbours have got service improvements in the pipeline.

Gag Halfrunt

It was based on idea that once fleet was in full service then could mark the inner suburban platforms with door areas, and do not stand here notices to let passengers off, useful at stations with high churn like Wimbledon and Clapham Junction, to speed up station stops.

I imagine that this was the reason behind the Arterio branding. The door position marks would be labelled Arterio to show that they only applied to the 701s.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Much of that is down to increased dwell times, because more people arew trying to squeeze through the same number of doors (or even fewer where ten cars have been reduced to eight) and once inside, fight past each other to make space for more people to get on and off.

It would be interesting, though, to compare current dwell times with slam door stock. An 8SUB or 8EPB formation had 72 doors on each side (the original "Shebas" had 78!), and at busy stations all of them would be open, and 100 or more passengers alighted, before the train had even come to a stand! The downside, though, was that it could take a long time to dispatch a departing train as latecomers would keep re-opening the doors.

SWT_USER

I agree up to a point, and obviously defer to your experience as you are in the industry IIRC. But at some point there is going to have to be a first time in the peak and the only way train crew will get used to different methods of driving/ dispatch at busy times is by doing it. Switching one out and back peak diagram would allow a gradual ramp up of the service and this shouldn't be too difficult on a Windsor circuit as these diagrams are self contained anyway.
Two months on and nothing has changed... it must be time to run these in service during the peak to add some much needed capacity. If not replacing an existing diagram then as an extra.

The whole fiasco really is depressing. Has anyone been to one of the meet the manager events to give the big wigs a grilling?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Two months on and nothing has changed... it must be time to run these in service during the peak to add some much needed capacity. If not replacing an existing diagram then as an extra.

The whole fiasco really is depressing. Has anyone been to one of the meet the manager events to give the big wigs a grilling?
What's really needed is for crew training to start! And none of us know why it hasn't!

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’m led to believe that soon the “soft launch” diagram will be replaced with 3 am peak round trips, one of them being the 0753 off of Windsor ER. A step in the right direction, even if it’s a small one.

What's really needed is for crew training to start! And none of us know why it hasn't!
Apparently that's all up to the DfT signing it off.
Has anyone been to one of the meet the manager events to give the big wigs a grilling?
Hopefully. Although I'd assume they'd just say "we can't give you a date at the moment" as usual.
I’m led to believe that soon the “soft launch” diagram will be replaced with 3 am peak round trips, one of them being the 0753 off of Windsor ER. A step in the right direction, even if it’s a small one.
Will believe it when I see it. Lots of "this might happen" and "now it won't" during this fiasco so can't be sure until they actually run

SWT_USER

Agree - but while all that is going on moving the existing diagram to the morning peak is a quick win.
Thanks - I would argue that the 06:53 and 07:23 would be better to 'crowd bust' in the peak but it's a good start.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Assuming this happens, is this one unit doing three round trips ( which seems to me would take longer than the peak? ) or at least two diagrams running at the same time for the first time?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Apparently that's all up to the DfT signing it off.

Hopefully. Although I'd assume they'd just say "we can't give you a date at the moment" as usual.

Will believe it when I see it. Lots of "this might happen" and "now it won't" during this fiasco so can't be sure until they actually run

Looking at next week on RTT the 2U9x circuit appears to have disappeared so it would appear to be from next week.

Bumpkin

Agree - but while all that is going on moving the existing diagram to the morning peak is a quick win.

Thanks - I would argue that the 06:53 and 07:23 would be better to 'crowd bust' in the peak but it's a good start.
The 0656 and 0726 are both formed from empties from Feltham Depot but all the 701s used in service have come from Wimbledon Park Depot, where the 0753 started its day so makes it a bit easier to switch it by the looks of it.

Mainsideman

Will be interesting to see how the guard works these trains if crush loaded.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The 0656 and 0726 are both formed from empties from Feltham Depot but all the 701s used in service have come from Wimbledon Park Depot, where the 0753 started its day so makes it a bit easier to switch it by the looks of it.
Looking at the schedule on RTT, that diagram seems to work as follows: 2Ux9 (down) and 2Ux6 (up)
5U09 0540 Wimbledon Pk - Waterloo (p21) arr 0626
2U09 0633 Waterloo -Windsor & Eton arr 0729
2U16 0753 Windsor & Eton -Waterloo (p23) arr 0853
2U19 0903 Waterloo -Windsor & Eton arr 0956
2U26 1023 Windsor & Eton - Waterloo (p21) arr 1119
2U29 1133 Waterloo -Windsor & Eton arr 1226
2U36 1253 Windsor & Eton - Waterloo (p20) arr 1349
2U39 1403 Waterloo -Windsor & Eton arr 1459
2U46 1523 Windsor & Eton - Waterloo (p22) arr 1619
2U49 1633 Waterloo -Windsor & Eton arr 1728
2U56 1753 Windsor & Eton - Waterloo (p22) arr 1849
2U59 1903 Waterloo -Windsor & Eton arr 1956
2U66 2023 Windsor & Eton - Waterloo (p24) arr 2119
5Y92 2128 Waterloo - Wimbledon Pk arr 2216

But three round trips would not end until 2pm, so not all in the peak.
Interesting to note that five trains could cover the entire Windsor Line timetable.
2Ux0/2Ux3
2Ux2/2Ux5
2ux4/2Ux7
2Ux6/2Ux9
2ux8/2Ux1

How many units have been used so far on the 2U9x diagram?