• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

There are 18 swr unit diagrams (9 pairs) in the September timetable through to December with 4 units spare each day Monday to Friday. Read into that what you will.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy1673

what are the diagrams?
Weekdays diagrams (in pairs) start as
5U07 Wimbledon depot
5S10 Staines CHS
5H07 Wimbledon depot
5H11 Strawberry Hill depot
5U05 Strawberry Hill depot
5H01 Clapham Yard
5V03 Clapham Yard
5H87 Waterloo
2U08 Windsor&Eton Riverside

(RTT helps working out each diagram)

10th diagram (starting as 5H90 off Wimbledon depot) no longer pair of 707s but pair of 455s (was 10 cars now 8)

Doomotron

According to the new timetable, from the 12th of September the 707s will begin service.

Mikey C

Established Member
City Beam???

A bit desperate really, rebranding them like that. Where does "beam" come from anyway?

cnjb8

Established Member
City Beam???

A bit desperate really, rebranding them like that. Where does "beam" come from anyway?
I really do not understand the recent obsession with TOCs giving a name to a new class of train. Does SE really need to do this?

K.o.R

New livery looks very smart, but they definitely should have had just the middle panel be yellow (or, yes, the light blue of the doors) like on the 700s. The not-quite-lined-up bits around the headlights just look odd.

Class 466

Established Member

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There are 18 swr unit diagrams (9 pairs) in the September timetable through to December with 4 units spare each day Monday to Friday. Read into that what you will.
Read nothing.

Diagrams can be "VSTP-ed" (so to speak) on an ongoing basis for the remainder of the TT period.

Mikey C

Established Member
I really do not understand the recent obsession with TOCs giving a name to a new class of train. Does SE really need to do this?
Especially as they're not brand new, and in relative terms, a minor number of "new" trains anyway

cnjb8

Established Member
Especially as they're not brand new, and in relative terms, a minor number of "new" trains anyway
Yes that is true. Do SE want people to say ‘I’m on the new City Beam into Victoria!’, because I don’t think most would do that

markyl

Introducing the City Beam train – new for Southeastern passengers​

Bigfoot

Read nothing.

Diagrams can be "VSTP-ed" (so to speak) on an ongoing basis for the remainder of the TT period.
Seems like a lot of work to create diagrams for them if you know they are going to disappear. Especially given that the Sept-Dec timetable/crew/unit diagrams have just been released.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Seems like a lot of work to create diagrams for them if you know they are going to disappear. Especially given that the Sept-Dec timetable/crew/unit diagrams have just been released.
The diagrams won't need to be redone. On an interim basis, they will just be short-formed. When they are all gone, at the next timetable round most can just be assigned a different diagram number relevant to whatever stock is booked.

There isn't really a perfect solution when the trains are scheduled to gradually disappear every few weeks during a timetable period. Either that or diagram them for 455s and long-form with 707s on an ongoing basis, but don't forget overall LTP capacity will then be affected and the paymasters probably won't be too happy with it.

At least with short-forms you can then seek derogations for them.

Doomotron

Not in service from the 12th. That's just the generic date for the timetable change.
I should have phrased it better. What I meant was closer to "From the 12th of September, the Class 707s will start to begin service."

fgwrich

Established Member

Introducing the City Beam train – new for Southeastern passengers​

I reckon that'll last as long as the equally irritating "Zephyr" did with Grand Central. It wasn't long before they officially returned to labelling them "Adelante" again.

ScotGG

Established Member
With the 707s replacing so few old and tired 465s, from what I've seen a lot are scoffing at the attempt at branding.

If it was entire replacement I could get the new branding, but it's a bit laughable for just a few trains. It's trying to pull the wool over the eyes when it achieves little overall.

With the 707s replacing so few old and tired 465s, from what I've seen a lot are scoffing at the attempt at branding.

If it was entire replacement I could get the new branding, but it's a bit laughable for just a few trains. It's trying to pull the wool over the eyes when it achieves little overall.
Might not be an issue as going by SE tradition and their lack of interest on upkeep on these lines, the local scrotes will make sure the 707s are transitioned to Networker standard within months

Mikey C

Established Member

Especially as anyone going inside a 707 will realise it's basically the same (in layman's terms) as the existing Thameslink trains, which anyone on the Greenwich or North Kent lines will already be familiar with

43102EMR

Established Member

They are a lot more different inside and out to the trains they are replacing, and it is a good way to excite passengers to come back to the railways and travel by train; although the choice of brand name does confuse me.

I do believe your point is valid though in the sense that it is only for a small minority of SE’s metro fleet - hopefully this is a sign they’ll order more once it’s time to replace the Networkers and 376s.

KC1

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned him, but I think Network Nathan on Youtube is a really refreshing change from some of the rail types on there.

Indeed, I enjoyed that video.

So like the 376s, these won’t go near Victoria, any reasons why this is the case? I have looked for reasonable answers but can’t seem to find any.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
They are a lot more different inside and out to the trains they are replacing, and it is a good way to excite passengers to come back to the railways and travel by train; although the choice of brand name does confuse me.

I do believe your point is valid though in the sense that it is only for a small minority of SE’s metro fleet - hopefully this is a sign they’ll order more once it’s time to replace the Networkers and 376s.
SE bidders were proposing new fleets for the franchise change not the 707's so just as well DofT sent them over there as they won't be getting anymore new stock for several years although I suspect Steve White will persuade DofT to allow a limited Networker refresh given the state some of them have got in.

DA1

So like the 376s, these won’t go near Victoria, any reasons why this is the case?
The stations en route to Victoria are mostly limited to 8 car formations so whilst they can “technically” run a 5 car its very, very unlikely.

Class 466

Established Member
SE bidders were proposing new fleets for the franchise change not the 707's so just as well DofT sent them over there as they won't be getting anymore new stock for several years although I suspect Steve White will persuade DofT to allow a limited Networker refresh given the state some of them have got in.
At least one SE bidder was taking on new trains and keeping 707s for outer suburban work

Status
Not open for further replies.