• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Really the standard express wants a lengthened 755 so if it fails or needs to go to crown point it can hop up via the breckland line.
Best to just rid them from the southern end of the WAML. A lengthened 755 would be a nightmare to fuel on Crown Point. The sub fleet of 720s offer the perfect option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
The sub fleet of 720s offer the perfect option.
Imagine if there was a fleet of slightly older Bombardier units, already fitted out for the airport service complete with Stan Ex branding, with route clearance already in place and with no TOC to transfer to :?:;)

dk1

Veteran Member
Imagine if there was a fleet of slightly older Bombardier units, already fitted out for the airport service complete with Stan Ex branding, with route clearance already in place and with no TOC to transfer to :?:;)
Yeah we've been here before, but they are not needed. Enough new trains already ordered.

I'd forgotten that the 322s had operated StanEx, though that is 20 years ago.
Where it all began.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The Stansted Express branding has been removed, to be pernickerty ;)

RailWonderer

Established Member
The 720s in their current 3+2 are inappropriate for StanEx because of the narrow aisles and lack of luggage racks, a 720 subfleet with 2+2, tables, and extra luggage space should be configured for the last 720s to use on StanEx. The question is how willing GA would be to do that and I have my doubts
If GA is unwilling to reconfigure some 720s then 745s are the way to go, unless GA also decides it's more convenient for the obvious reasons to keep them on the GE and off the WA.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 720s in their current 3+2 are inappropriate for StanEx because of the narrow aisles and lack of luggage racks, a 720 subfleet with 2+2, tables, and extra luggage space should be configured for the last 720s to use on StanEx. The question is how willing GA would be to do that and I have my doubts
If GA is unwilling to reconfigure some 720s then 745s are the way to go, unless GA also decides it's more convenient for the obvious reasons to keep them on the GE and off the WA.
Rumours are of a small airport sub fleet of 720s & standard class ripped out of A & B coaches in 745/1s replaced by 1st class. Sounds good to me so fingers crossed.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Rumours are of a small airport sub fleet of 720s & standard class ripped out of A & B coaches in 745/1s replaced by 1st class. Sounds good to me so fingers crossed.
Lord I hope this is true. It would mean more 745s for us GE users, and Stansted passengers get a more appropriate train - the 745s are too Intercity for what is a 50 minute route. It would also mean no more endless refunds for first class ticket holders when a /1 turns up instead of a /0.

dk1

Veteran Member
Lord I hope this is true. It would mean more 745s for us GE users, and Stansted passengers get a more appropriate train - the 745s are too Intercity for what is a 50 minute route. It would also mean no more endless refunds for first class ticket holders when a /1 turns up instead of a /0.
You know it makes sense mate. Here’s hoping.

trebor79

Established Member
And a buffet inserting it is that not feasible?

chubs

A bit rubbish if there's no buffet, the offering needs to be consistent if they want people to use it.

dk1

Veteran Member
A bit rubbish if there's no buffet, the offering needs to be consistent if they want people to use it.
Will be no different to what went before. Crown Point always struggled with enough buffet cars & there where sometimes as many as 3 loco-hauled trolley only sets running around.

eastdyke

Established Member
Will be no different to what went before. Crown Point always struggled with enough buffet cars & there where sometimes as many as 3 loco-hauled trolley only sets running around.
G'day. Indeed, but I thought that we are striving to be better than before? Silly me. :?:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think it’s the sheer cost rather than being cheap. Hopefully the 745/0s will get diagrammed to most IC services.
I had assumed the converted 745/1s would be used only to pad out the IC Norwiches and make sure there are enough FLIRTS for the full service. Is there plans to use them on other GEML services too then?

dk1

Veteran Member
I had assumed the converted 745/1s would be used only to pad out the IC Norwiches and make sure there are enough FLIRTS for the full service. Is there plans to use them on other GEML services too then?
Oh yes. Ipswich/Clacton terminators will have 745s allocated.

On Moderation
I think it’s the sheer cost rather than being cheap. Hopefully the 745/0s will get diagrammed to most IC services.
If they had any sense then you’d probable advertise a certain proportion of the Norwich services with a “hot food buffet” and have (say) five 745/0 diagrams to resource them. The rest of the Norwichs and whatever Ipswich/Clacton services have 745s would be resourced from the 15 remaining units. That way there’s a much better chance of actually getting a buffet unit on a buffet diagram.

Energy

Established Member
So they’re being cheap when it comes to these “improvements” then. A great shame.
Getting a buffet in some of the 745s was difficult when ordering them brand new, retrofitting would be incredibly expensive.

with no TOC to transfer to :?:;)
It has been speculated on this forum for a while that the 379s would go to GN to cascadd the 387s to Southern, there was a thread in the speculative section a few days ago saying that GN management were looking at it.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Oh yes. Ipswich/Clacton terminators will have 745s allocated.
Is that only at peak times, or are 745s likely to run the off-peak services that call at Shenfield? Being able to pick between 720s and 745s on a regular basis could be useful to get a better comparison between them :D

dk1

Veteran Member
Is that only at peak times, or are 745s likely to run the off-peak services that call at Shenfield? Being able to pick between 720s and 745s on a regular basis could be useful to get a better comparison between them :D
Should be all day everyday.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Should be all day everyday.
Interesting. So presumably of the now 20-strong fleet, 10 or 11 will be for Norwich and another 9 or 10 split between Ipswich and Clacton? So presumably that's enough to run what, maybe half of those services off-peak, with 720s making up the other half and all the peak extras?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Interesting. So presumably of the now 20-strong fleet, 10 or 11 will be for Norwich and another 9 or 10 split between Ipswich and Clacton? So presumably that's enough to run what, maybe half of those services off-peak, with 720s making up the other half and all the peak extras?
Realistically they are only going to be able to get 16 or 17 units out in service though so perhaps 12 for Norwich (ie 10 on the main five hour cycle and two peak only) and 4 or 5 for other routes

Status
Not open for further replies.