• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Rail - Registration of interest, apprentice train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BallastMonkey

That's strange, they put the previous Apprentice Train Driver recruitment on hold till Nov/Dec and here they are seeking more interest.

PaulBusDriver

Not sure what the plan is with them.
Just figured I'd post it up as I came a cross it
Not sure how we stand if we apply to this and have already applied and are waiting for the November round of recruitment.
Might be better to wait as I remember Colas stating multiple applications will result in both being rejected.

Coach Carter

Not sure how we stand if we apply to this and have already applied and are waiting for the November round of recruitment.
Might be better to wait as I remember Colas stating multiple applications will result in both being rejected.
Yer I would imagine just sticking with your current application might be best.
I'm currently waiting to do my stage 2 testing with freightliner so it's no good for me, just hoping it might help out others looking for a way in.
Hope all goes well with your current application.

Atishyou

The other week, 25 of their drivers enquired about moving to another freight company, that's probably why.

Stigy

Established Member
A couple of things concern me about Colas. 1. It’s a company I see a lot of up and down the line, but it doesn’t seem particularly well known, and as far as I’m aware they’re quite new in comparison to other FOCs? And 2. The term ‘Apprenticeship’ worries me, not because Apprenticeships aren’t a worthwhile scheme, but because to start one you typically need to have a grade A to C GCSE in English and Maths to be considered for one, whereas other companies not using Apprenticeships like GCSE passes, but will consider other education. Network Rail will allow you to resist basic GCSEs during signalling school, I wonder if this applies to most companies?

Firestarter

A couple of things concern me about Colas. 1. It’s a company I see a lot of up and down the line, but it doesn’t seem particularly well known, and as far as I’m aware they’re quite new in comparison to other FOCs? And 2. The term ‘Apprenticeship’ worries me, not because Apprenticeships aren’t a worthwhile scheme, but because to start one you typically need to have a grade A to C GCSE in English and Maths to be considered for one, whereas other companies not using Apprenticeships like GCSE passes, but will consider other education. Network Rail will allow you to resist basic GCSEs during signalling school, I wonder if this applies to most companies?

Did/Have you applied?

Stigy

Established Member
Did/Have you applied?
Yes, well registered my interest. It would appear I’ve been mistaken though, as researching Colas it seems I should disregard number 1, as they’re quite well big it seems. Number 2 still concerns me.

Stigy

Established Member
Did/Have you applied?
Yes, well registered my interest. It would appear I’ve been mistaken though, as researching Colas it seems I should disregard number 1, as they’re quite well big it seems. Number 2 still concerns me.

Firestarter

When did you apply? And I guess you still not heard anything back?

Stigy

Established Member
A thought though, always keep an eye on your junk emails. I had a random one in there from Colas (think it was just another confirmation email). It wasn’t important, but could be in future. I always try and keep an eye on my junk mail for this reason....it so happened that I’d received no email to my junk box, but when I did some digging doing it was because my email host had changed the name “junk” to “spam” and as such wasn’t receiving anything to my Apple devices.

GJL9916

Cheers for posting the link I have just applied / registered interest for this.

Recently did the Freightliner assessment stage 1 myself, passed everything to enhanced standard except the Group Bourdon which I did pass but not to enhanced, I did lots of practise on it and thought it was the easiest out the lot so not sure if if I was a bit too complacent with it and was trying to steam through it to impress and therefore was not as accurate as I would of liked or with it being the first test of the assessment I wasn't quite in the zone - still kicking myself about it now!

The application / interest for the Colas one wasn't very in depth, wonder how many applicants they will get as if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have spotted that one! I am based in Cheshire so not sure if it they will see me as suitable? I see its UK mobile but surely there's got to be some kind of rule where you have to live within a certain distance of a certain area?

Just had the confirmation email whilst I been typing that and says will review it against the requirements and contact me shortly? Other than my name, address, DOB and Maths, English & ITEC grades they not had much info to review!

GJL9916

Now just had this email from them …

Thank you for registering your interest in Colas Rail Apprenticeship Programmes as a APPRENTICE TRAIN DRIVER.
Whilst there are currently no live apprenticeship vacancies, as soon as our recruitment process commences we shall be in touch to let you know.

In line with our commitment to GDPR, your data on the system for x months. Should you wish for your data to be removed at any point please contact us at [email protected].

Stigy

Established Member
Cheers for posting the link I have just applied / registered interest for this.

Recently did the Freightliner assessment stage 1 myself, passed everything to enhanced standard except the Group Bourdon which I did pass but not to enhanced, I did lots of practise on it and thought it was the easiest out the lot so not sure if if I was a bit too complacent with it and was trying to steam through it to impress and therefore was not as accurate as I would of liked or with it being the first test of the assessment I wasn't quite in the zone - still kicking myself about it now!

The application / interest for the Colas one wasn't very in depth, wonder how many applicants they will get as if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have spotted that one! I am based in Cheshire so not sure if it they will see me as suitable? I see its UK mobile but surely there's got to be some kind of rule where you have to live within a certain distance of a certain area?

Just had the confirmation email whilst I been typing that and says will review it against the requirements and contact me shortly? Other than my name, address, DOB and Maths, English & ITEC grades they not had much info to review!
I too did the Freightliner assessments. Passed all but wasn’t offered a job in the end. I was surprised there was an enhanced version of the Group Bourden test to be honest. I only had to take the enhanced tests as I had current pass marks with another operator and the Group Bourden along with DFFT were the only ones I needed to take. I was confused because I worked to the same standard I did the first time round with the Group Bourden and couldn’t have been any faster or more accuratebthab I was when I assume passed the national standard with my current TOC? (Fast and accurate) but assume that my initial test wasn’t fast enough. I too foundbthat the easiest.

Anyway, I digress. I applied to Colas (well, expresses interest at least) but was under the impression that’s all it is...a bit like signing up to notifications? So they will just let people know when they start recruiting? Even so, as with Freightliner, there wasn’t much more of an application process as you know. Just personal details then tests. I was only asked for my CV at the interview stage with them. I don’t recall putting much info on Colas’ form? The second email you received was the one of mine that went to my junk/spam folder.

Good luck.

GJL9916

I too did the Freightliner assessments. Passed all but wasn’t offered a job in the end. I was surprised there was an enhanced version of the Group Bourden test to be honest. I only had to take the enhanced tests as I had current pass marks with another operator and the Group Bourden along with DFFT were the only ones I needed to take. I was confused because I worked to the same standard I did the first time round with the Group Bourden and couldn’t have been any faster or more accuratebthab I was when I assume passed the national standard with my current TOC? (Fast and accurate) but assume that my initial test wasn’t fast enough. I too foundbthat the easiest.

Anyway, I digress. I applied to Colas (well, expresses interest at least) but was under the impression that’s all it is...a bit like signing up to notifications? So they will just let people know when they start recruiting? Even so, as with Freightliner, there wasn’t much more of an application process as you know. Just personal details then tests. I was only asked for my CV at the interview stage with them. I don’t recall putting much info on Colas’ form? The second email you received was the one of mine that went to my junk/spam folder.

Good luck.

Oh no, I bet that's even more gutting then of you got right through the process, did they give any specific feedback? I am hoping more trainee jobs will come up at Freightliner over the next few years but we shall see.

Fingers crossed then with Colas and hopefully we get some more information on it before long!

GJL9916

Good luck.

Saying that reading the Freightliner thread on here it seems like they're planning on recruiting enough people to last them a long time!!

Stigy

Established Member
Oh no, I bet that's even more gutting then of you got right through the process, did they give any specific feedback? I am hoping more trainee jobs will come up at Freightliner over the next few years but we shall see.

Fingers crossed then with Colas and hopefully we get some more information on it before long!
Yeah, it certainly was disappointing. Because of the months it took to get that far I’d kind of got my hopes up even though I tried not to forbthis very reason.

I asked for feedback and all I was told was that they had an overwhelming number of applicants and my answers to DMI questions weren’t as comprehensive as other peoples’. Seemed like the generic response to be honest. There were 4,000 applicants so I was please to get where I did, although it was all on aptitude and passing tests, rather than looking at my CV and my suitability etc up until the interview, as with all candidates so I guess it depends how you look at it as to how lucky that was? :)

I think there will be other intakes with Freightliner, hence the most recent campaign (they weren’t recruiting again for Eastleigh which is where I went for, which I’m pleased about otherwise I’d be seriously wondering what I did so wrong...:().

I’m hoping Colas start recruiting soon so I can get the ball rolling again....I’ve kind of caught the bug now and really want this. Good luck to you!

GJL9916

Yeah, it certainly was disappointing. Because of the months it took to get that far I’d kind of got my hopes up even though I tried not to forbthis very reason.

I asked for feedback and all I was told was that they had an overwhelming number of applicants and my answers to DMI questions weren’t as comprehensive as other peoples’. Seemed like the generic response to be honest. There were 4,000 applicants so I was please to get where I did, although it was all on aptitude and passing tests, rather than looking at my CV and my suitability etc up until the interview, as with all candidates so I guess it depends how you look at it as to how lucky that was? :)

I think there will be other intakes with Freightliner, hence the most recent campaign (they weren’t recruiting again for Eastleigh which is where I went for, which I’m pleased about otherwise I’d be seriously wondering what I did so wrong...:().

I’m hoping Colas start recruiting soon so I can get the ball rolling again....I’ve kind of caught the bug now and really want this. Good luck to you!

Cheers buddy same to you, I've been after a drivers position for about 10 years now and did kind of give up hope, tried to get on as ground staff, conductors and recently applied for tick sales job in St.Helens, anything to get me in the door really, the Freightliner assessments has gave me some hope again and stoked the fires so fingers crossed we will get something soon enough! Good luck :)

GJL9916

Had a look on their site today and the full position / application is now listed - I have done this as well just to be safe as I wasn't notified it had gone live

Just in case you guys want to check

https://my.corehr.com/pls/crlrecrui...=Y&p_refresh_search=Y&p_recruitment_id=006827

BallastMonkey

PaulBusDriver

Again an absolute joke that they haven't updated any of those who applied the first time round, then advertise for interest then advertise the role again.
Could it be perhaps that they are slow sifting and intend to let the people who have already applied know in the near future?

Stigy

Established Member
Had a look on their site today and the full position / application is now listed - I have done this as well just to be safe as I wasn't notified it had gone live

Just in case you guys want to check

https://my.corehr.com/pls/crlrecrui...=Y&p_refresh_search=Y&p_recruitment_id=006827
Thanks for sharing. I hadn’t been notified, unless the email went to my junk folder as one did a few days ago?

My fears are realised in that as this is an apprenticeship applicants need GCSE passes in Maths and English to apply. I don’t have either, although have developed myself in a course equivalent to a degree which may help. I’ve started the process anyway as half the details are pre-populated plus I have nothing to lose!

Just read the advert thoroughly and I know it’s technically an apprenticeship but itbsounts very much like a college course, with “block release” mentioned. There’s no mention of training salary so I’d be interested to know how low this is, and indeed if it’s a typical apprentice salary (extremely low).

GJL9916

Thanks for sharing. I hadn’t been notified, unless the email went to my junk folder as one did a few days ago?

My fears are realised in that as this is an apprenticeship applicants need GCSE passes in Maths and English to apply. I don’t have either, although have developed myself in a course equivalent to a degree which may help. I’ve started the process anyway as half the details are pre-populated plus I have nothing to lose!

Just read the advert thoroughly and I know it’s technically an apprenticeship but itbsounts very much like a college course, with “block release” mentioned. There’s no mention of training salary so I’d be interested to know how low this is, and indeed if it’s a typical apprentice salary (extremely low).

Hopefully they'll take that into consideration then, I don't see why not especially with it being a more recent and higher grade than a GCSE!

I notice that the positions advertised are gonna be too far for me and rule me out, the application where you register your interest though stated UK mobile, with me being in Crewe, Cheshire do you think I have any chance at Colas as it seems to be more Southern based?

Stigy

Established Member
Hopefully they'll take that into consideration then, I don't see why not especially with it being a more recent and higher grade than a GCSE!

I notice that the positions advertised are gonna be too far for me and rule me out, the application where you register your interest though stated UK mobile, with me being in Crewe, Cheshire do you think I have any chance at Colas as it seems to be more Southern based?
I noticed that too about locations. Still says U.K. mobile at the bottom of the form though. I reckon they will be recruiting more oooop north soon anyway as that seems to be where most freight jobs go?

GJL9916

I noticed that too about locations. Still says U.K. mobile at the bottom of the form though. I reckon they will be recruiting more oooop north soon anyway as that seems to be where most freight jobs go?

Yes fingers crossed! that's what i'm hoping for anyway! :)

nat67

Established Member
That's strange, they put the previous Apprentice Train Driver recruitment on hold till Nov/Dec and here they are seeking more interest.
We'll I thought that as there is no closing date. I spoke to someone I knew who works in Colas recruitment and they are not sure when it will happen either.

Status
Not open for further replies.