• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Rail - Registration of interest, apprentice train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Just had another look and it would appear the latest vacancy has been removed already?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
looks like it, half way through my application as well.
Annoying. You’d think there would be a way once you’ve started the application, as long it’s a web form thingy surely it makes sense? Happens all the time, sorry to hear this happened to you too.

Stigy

Established Member
What area you from then Stigy if don’t mind me asking you
Hampshire....not sure which locations Colas have, but as Freight locations go, Eastleigh/Southampton is about my nearest. Reading is doable but that would take over an hour travelling. They are about the only two locations.

The One

Well as passed your psychometric then why not try getting on OTMs instead or the MMT with Colas or similar companies unless it’s not your cup of tea so to speak.

Stigy

Established Member
Well as passed your psychometric then why not try getting on OTMs instead or the MMT with Colas or similar companies unless it’s not your cup of tea so to speak.
I’d have to be a qualified driver for MMT I believe? And I’m not quite sure what an OTM is? (On Train Manager?)....it rings a bell on looking at all vacancies before but can’t see it now?

The One

OTMs is On Track Machines as for the MMTs as you have your psychometric I would still apply for these positions even though you not qualified driver.

Stigy

Established Member
OTMs is On Track Machines as for the MMTs as you have your psychometric I would still apply for these positions even though you not qualified driver.
Thanks for the info. I’ve looked at adverts for both roles and it says under “We would like to hear from people who have” section of the person specification, “A European Rail Vehicle Licenece” (Train driveling licence I presume? But then it also says, “People who have completed Psychometric Testing” which everyone with rail vehicle licence would have done anyway. So to me it looks like they would consider either, but just wouldn’t put candidates through the physchometric testing. I might contact them.

The One

I would for defo as the saying goes you can’t win the lottery if don’t buy a ticket lol

Firestarter

Thanks for the info. I’ve looked at adverts for both roles and it says under “We would like to hear from people who have” section of the person specification, “A European Rail Vehicle Licenece” (Train driveling licence I presume? But then it also says, “People who have completed Psychometric Testing” which everyone with rail vehicle licence would have done anyway. So to me it looks like they would consider either, but just wouldn’t put candidates through the physchometric testing. I might contact them.

Keep us updated

baz962

Established Member

( Train driveling licence !)

Regan

A lot of operators left colas to go freight driving I was one of them having your psychometric test is a good positive let us know if you want more info.

BallastMonkey

A lot of operators left colas to go freight driving I was one of them having your psychometric test is a good positive let us know if you want more info.

When you mean left, as in OTM operator/driver.

Also dont colas do their own freight driving?

Regan

Without a doubt colas will have to take on from outside due to there t&c's you don't see many jumping ship from other companies to join please don't take it as if I'm putting the company down I enjoyed the job.

GJL9916

Without a doubt colas will have to take on from outside due to there t&c's you don't see many jumping ship from other companies to join please don't take it as if I'm putting the company down I enjoyed the job.

That just sounds like it will be easier to get in, so sounds good to me!

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve dropped recruitment an email regarding the requirements on entry for MMT and OTM roles. Will see what they come back with....I’ve also asked how long Colas will honour previous phsycometric test results for.

The One

Five years results valid for they are valid for five years it’s just down to the companies how long they accept.But I’m sure Colas accepts five years

Stigy

Established Member
Five years results valid for they are valid for five years it’s just down to the companies how long they accept.But I’m sure Colas accepts five years
thanks for the info. Seems to be the same for all or most FOCs? My TOC is 3-years and I took them all with them 3.5years ago.

This would be very good for me ;)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
From what I gather if your a single bloke with little in the way of social life you’ll be okay at Colas, rosters days in advance (Thursday before the Sunday start), a lot of anti social shifts - nights, lodging etc.

If your an instructor driver, you’ll be responsible for doing trainee pass outs, competency reports for existing drivers etc

If red pen track is your thing then being a tamper driver is definitely your thing, if you done mind becoming familiar with every loop between A & Z and lots and lots of nights with significant amounts of van driving on OTM maintenance shifts.

It is a really good step into the driving grade, some love it, some hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.