• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

MattRat

On Moderation
I'd be here all day if I discussed how many times I was surrounded by covidiots this week! For the sanity of the forum, I won't!
If everyone in your family is vaccinated, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Yes, you can still catch it, but it won't be severe, particularly with this new strain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If everyone in your family is vaccinated, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Yes, you can still catch it, but it won't be severe, particularly with this new strain.

All I'll say in response to that is pish-posh! However, I've decided to bite...

In expansion, while my family is not fully vaccinated, for multiple reasons (I'm the first in mine to get all 3 doses), it's the people I actually live with that are more of a concern to me.

As for not being bothered if it's severe or not, that means nothing to me. I despise sitting indoors all day on a rainy day, let alone be stuck indoors through illness, so excuse me for doing what I can to keep me, my friends and my silly housemates healthy!

MattRat

On Moderation
All I'll say in response to that is pish-posh! However, I've decided to bite...

In expansion, while my family is not fully vaccinated, for multiple reasons (I'm the first in mine to get all 3 doses), it's the people I actually live with that are more of a concern to me.

As for not being bothered if it's severe or not, that means nothing to me. I despise sitting indoors all day on a rainy day, let alone be stuck indoors through illness, so excuse me for doing what I can to keep me, my friends and my silly housemates healthy!
And all I'm saying is that Covid will never dissappear, and you either find a way to live with it, or forever live in fear, which I'm don't think is very healthy mentally.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Attention Attention.
This is a Covid free zone!
It’s meant to be light hearted so leave the virus at the door and keep things humorous, friendly and light please!

I thank you. ;)

py_megapixel

Established Member
Use of the word "unfortunately" for something the writer blatantly doesn't consider unfortunate. For example I just read:
Unfortunately, we don’t take reservations as we find it fairest to operate on a first come first serve basis.
So fairness is unfortunate, is it?

If you make it light hearted then that’s fine. :lol:
Valentine's day is coming and I think that should be banned in pubs. They change all the menus to ones that are supposed to be relevant to San Valentino which they seem to think should be red or pink food and drink. I hope they don't get Covid mixed up with Cupid, that would be stupid!

PeterY

Established Member
Valentine's day is coming and I think that should be banned in pubs. They change all the menus to ones that are supposed to be relevant to San Valentino which they seem to think should be red or pink food and drink. I hope they don't get Covid mixed up with Cupid, that would be stupid!
I can't remember the last time I wasted money on a valentine card :'( . It must've been 40 years ago when I was courting:D

gg1

Established Member
I can't remember the last time I wasted money on a valentine card :'( . It must've been 40 years ago when I was courting:D
When I was 19 or 20 (can't remember which) I was actually dumped by my then GF because I told her I didn't do Valentines day :lol:

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Use of the word "unfortunately" for something the writer blatantly doesn't consider unfortunate. For example I just read:
Unfortunately, we don’t take reservations as we find it fairest to operate on a first come first serve basis.

It's to be reckoned that there is understood to be an -- unwritten -- "for you", immediately after the "Unfortunately" <D .

Meerkat

Established Member
Isn't that usually in terms of "unfortunately FOR YOU"?

yorksrob

Veteran Member

It means "unfortunately for you, ha ha ha ......."

Unfortunately for me, Calthrop and Meerkat got there first.

Gloster

Established Member
The way that newspapers illustrate a serious story with a still from a film about something vaguely similar to the story. A story about an asteroid has a still from Don’t Look Up.

KT550

Doors marked "Automatic Door" which aren't because you have to press a button for it to open.

Gloster

Established Member
Not quite an irritation, but notices on access gates that say ‘This gate must be kept locked at all times’, particularly when it is obviously an access that is used.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Not quite an irritation, but notices on access gates that say ‘This gate must be kept locked at all times’, particularly when it is obviously an access that is used.
One gate near where I live is labelled "Please close gate at all times" - an impossibility, given that after closing it cannot be closed again without first opening it.

S&CLER

References to 12 noon as 12 pm or 12 am are slightly irritating; after all 12 noon can't be either (and 12 midnight is both). That's one thing the railways get right with the use of 23:59 and 00:01 times to remove ambiguity.

py_megapixel

Established Member
References to 12 noon as 12 pm or 12 am are slightly irritating; after all 12 noon can't be either (and 12 midnight is both). That's one thing the railways get right with the use of 23:59 and 00:01 times to remove ambiguity.
I think use of the 24h clock needs to become more standard in general. It's less ambiguous, and much easier to understand if taught it from a young age.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
People who mispronounce the word "escalate" as "esculate".

I first noticed this when I was handling complaints for an energy company, but lately I've been hearing it more frequently on television, and particularly from reporters. This morning I was convinced that I heard one of our government representatives saying it (it was at the press conference in Hungary).

Along with "nukular", this does my head in!

AM9

Veteran Member
Along with "nukular", this does my head in!
That one gets me as well, 'nuclear' is a pretty easy word for english speakers to understand how to pronounce:
'nu' as in new
and 'clear' as in the extremely difficult to say clear.

Then there's secretary, which somehow is pronounced "secutary".
The other big word irritation is the number of people who misspell the word 'lose' as in the verb to mislay something, it gets written as the mainly adjective 'loose' as in slack or not tight. There's quite a few posters on RUK who have this affliction. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
This has probably been mentioned before, but electronic handbrakes in cars. What's wrong with a proper, manual handbrake? With an electronic one, you can't control the rate at which the brake goes on/off, which in certain circumstances is incredibly frustrating. For example, trying to to a steep hill start in a bumpy field in the Lake District, with a trailer, and a car with a very dodgy turbo...

75A

Established Member
This has probably been mentioned before, but electronic handbrakes in cars. What's wrong with a proper, manual handbrake? With an electronic one, you can't control the rate at which the brake goes on/off, which in certain circumstances is incredibly frustrating. For example, trying to to a steep hill start in a bumpy field in the Lake District, with a trailer, and a car with a very dodgy turbo...
Where would you put it?
My Range Rover certainly hasn't got anywhere