• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

Oh and people who refer to me as 'chris' despite every previous email in the ten or so emails already exchanged been signed 'regards, Kris'.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
People standing at pelican crossings waiting to Cross but don't press the button...

A Challenge

Established Member
People standing at pelican crossings waiting to Cross but don't press the button...
In some cases I will probably get across before the lights change unless it's late evening so they haven't been called for a while and go immediately, and while I normally will press the button anyway if there's little traffic about I'll get across before they change. I can certainly understand why somebody else crossing like that wouldn't bother, though.

py_megapixel

Established Member
On the subject of big shops - I hate those who put the men's clothing section at the greatest possible distance from the entrance doors.
This is always the case! Men’s clothes are so often on different floors to the entrance too.
What annoys me is when there is an entire floor or even two dedicated to the women's section and then men's, children's and home-wares are all crammed onto the same level. I have much longer legs than average and as such I sometimes struggle to find long enough trousers in shops, and I often think that maybe if they actually dedicated a sensible amount of space to menswear they could stock a better range of sizes!

BanburyBlue

Pelican crossings that only change for pedestrians when there's a big enough gap in the traffic that anyone able-bodied has already crossed.
I think sequence to wait for either a gap in traffic, or for a specific period of time before they change. I remember once the crossing near my office had something wrong with the timings, and would only change when there was a gap in the traffic however long you waited for. I reported this to the council, and an engineer turned up. When he finished it was the other way round. The second you pressed the button the lights would change. It was great (until they fixed it again a couple of months later) - you'd press the button and you'd the look of panic on car driver's faces when the lights instantly changed.

gg1

Established Member
People who approach a Pelican crossing on a quiet road, press the button, then immediately walk across.

al78

Established Member
What annoys me is when there is an entire floor or even two dedicated to the women's section and then men's, children's and home-wares are all crammed onto the same level. I have much longer legs than average and as such I sometimes struggle to find long enough trousers in shops, and I often think that maybe if they actually dedicated a sensible amount of space to menswear they could stock a better range of sizes!
I think that is because there is an assumption that men are not as interested in fashion as women, so stores prioritise female clothing and everything else has to put in the remaining space.

There is probably something in that, as when I work in my local charity shop dealing with the donations, the vast majority of clothing consists of female clothing, which suggests to me that women go through clothing a lot faster than men (e.g. wear it once then discard it, occasionally we get donations fresh out of the store that have clearly never been worn and still have the price tag on), hence prioritising female clothing in department stores. I know what you mean about trying to find trousers that fit. Many years ago I was very thin (~9.5 - 10 stone) and 6' tall, and the trousers on sale were frequently either too short on the leg or too wide at the waist. It sometimes came down to not being able to choose the colour, there are one or two pairs the right size, hard luck if you don't like the colour or the style.

I'd like to ban pelican crossings that are on red for so long, an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping could cross, go to the cinema and watch a film, then cross back again before the lights change (at least that is what it feels like).

I would also like to ban green phases of traffic lights less than 10 seconds long, especially in towns like Horsham where it takes a good five seconds for the driver at the front of the queue to wake up.

PeterY

Established Member
Oh and people who refer to me as 'chris' despite every previous email in the ten or so emails already exchanged been signed 'regards, Kris'.
I hate it when people call me "Pete" :'( :'( . I much prefer my full name Peter.
I think that is because there is an assumption that men are not as interested in fashion as women, so stores prioritise female clothing and everything else has to put in the remaining space.

There is probably something in that, as when I work in my local charity shop dealing with the donations, the vast majority of clothing consists of female clothing, which suggests to me that women go through clothing a lot faster than men (e.g. wear it once then discard it, occasionally we get donations fresh out of the store that have clearly never been worn and still have the price tag on), hence prioritising female clothing in department stores. I know what you mean about trying to find trousers that fit. Many years ago I was very thin (~9.5 - 10 stone) and 6' tall, and the trousers on sale were frequently either too short on the leg or too wide at the waist. It sometimes came down to not being able to choose the colour, there are one or two pairs the right size, hard luck if you don't like the colour or the style.
I also work in a charity shop. If I'm sorting, it's very rare to come across decent men's clothing, most of men's donated clothing is only fit for the rag bag. I must admit the clothes I donate are ready for the rag bag:D:Dand put them straight in rags.

I also find it amazing the amount of women's clothes that have their original tag on, we sell them at a premium.

I'd ban people donating unwashed baby clothes :'(:'( they have an obnoxious smell .

Peter C

Established Member
I hate it when people call me "Pete" :'( :'( . I much prefer my full name Peter.
I'm just the same. There are a few people who call me "Pete" but I can't be bothered to correct them after however long of knowing them :lol:

-Peter

Bacon_BMW

Two road related things:
-People who don’t turn right on a red light, even when the road is completely clear.
-People who freak out whenever they see a roundabout and end up going the wrong way/driving in circles.

py_megapixel

Established Member
-People who don’t turn right on a red light, even when the road is completely clear.
That's an American thing. Right-on-red (or rather our equivalent would be left-on-red) doesn't exist here at all, which is probably a good thing considering the different uses of our roads.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Eh? Thought a red light always meant stop, unless you've already passed the white stop line, and so need to clear the junction, if safe to do so?! :s

py_megapixel

Established Member
Eh? Thought a red light always meant stop, unless you've already passed the white stop line, and so need to clear the junction, if safe to do so?! :s
This user's profile states that they are located in the United States, where right turns on a red light are fairly commonly allowed.

westv

Established Member
Ok, Pete. :D

People who approach a Pelican crossing on a quiet road, press the button, then immediately walk across.
Crossings that take forever to change once you've pushed the button even if no-one has crossed recently.

dakta

I'm just the same. There are a few people who call me "Pete" but I can't be bothered to correct them after however long of knowing them :lol:

-Peter

I don't really mind people shortening me to Kris, you can observe people's mood when they alternate from one to the other. 'Kristian...' is the sign of time to dig this heels in, and get yourself strapped in for a turbulent conversation

but where preferences are known people should respect it. What bothers me most about people calling me 'Chris' is the fact the last few have been prospective customer enquiries that I've been responding to back and forth, every email has included my signature and none know me at all so there's no reason whatsoever for them to think my signature is incorrect. The email I use is '[email protected]' so the only way they've got as far as knowing I'm Chris is because at some point they've read my signature 'Kris'.

Which means they're effectively correcting my name for me. Blood pressure off the gauge mode activate

SteveM70

Established Member
Strangers calling me “mate” is borderline acceptable; being called “bud” crosses the line and gets right on my wick

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Strangers calling me “mate” is borderline acceptable; being called “bud” crosses the line and gets right on my wick

Yeah I’m not really a fan of bud either. Very common in builders merchants for some reason.

duncanp

Established Member
Think I have that misophonia thing, but amongst the usual suspects (eating, heavy breathing, not able to sip a drink without requiring ear defenders) that crackle at the end when someone uses their e-cig wants banning.

Can turn a sane man to murder.

When I used to work, two things that really used to annoy me were other people in the (open plan) office :-
  • noisily crunching on an apple
  • cracking their knuckles
Sorry, but both of these irritating habits should be completely banned, with instant dismissal for anyone who does not comply. <( <( <( <(

(I suspect we could have a whole thread entitled "What irritates me about the office", and a few years ago someone brought out a book called Pains In The Office on just this subject.

gg1

Established Member
When I used to work, two things that really used to annoy me were other people in the (open plan) office :-
  • noisily crunching on an apple
  • cracking their knuckles
Sorry, but both of these irritating habits should be completely banned, with instant dismissal for anyone who does not comply. <( <( <( <(

(I suspect we could have a whole thread entitled "What irritates me about the office", and a few years ago someone brought out a book called Pains In The Office on just this subject.
Noisy eating generally, although far worse than that are incessant sniffers.

Meerkat

Established Member
I have a man apothecary chest. 20 drawers full of junk :lol:

There is some useful stuff too, but I can never remember which drawer its in, and naturally it normally takes until about drawer 17 before I find what I need
The best way to find it is to buy a new one. Then you suddenly realise where the logical place to put it is and find one already there.

HST274

Pelican crossings that only change for pedestrians when there's a big enough gap in the traffic that anyone able-bodied has already crossed.
Especially ones that go immediately when there is a gap, and then seem to take an eternity otherwise. I will put my hand up as someone who may press the button multiple times despite the fact it does nothing.
guilty :E

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
... a few years ago someone brought out a book called Pains In The Office ...
There was also an accompanying book in the same series, entitled "Pains on Trains". Originally published 2003, and still soooooo true! ;)

519S6JJJYFL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

scotrail158713

Established Member
Sports commentators apologising for any bad language/swearing etc that anyone might hear. I watched the Berwick Rangers v Gretna 2008 Scottish Cup tie on the BBC the other week - it wasn’t the most glamorous tie in the world, so anyone watching is likely to be a reasonably seasoned football fan who is used to such language already.