• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

birchesgreen

Established Member
Sports commentators apologising for any bad language/swearing etc that anyone might hear. I watched the Berwick Rangers v Gretna 2008 Scottish Cup tie on the BBC the other week - it wasn’t the most glamorous tie in the world, so anyone watching is likely to be a reasonably seasoned football fan who is used to such language already.
I doubt the commentators or ex-pros care, but the producers know someone will call in to complain.

So let's add people who can't accept a bit of human emotion on the sportsfield to our list.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Sports commentators apologising for any bad language/swearing etc that anyone might hear. I watched the Berwick Rangers v Gretna 2008 Scottish Cup tie on the BBC the other week - it wasn’t the most glamorous tie in the world, so anyone watching is likely to be a reasonably seasoned football fan who is used to such language already.

I'd add anybody in general that tries to pretend swear words don't exist. Most people learn them in the school playground - let's not try and pretend otherwise.

The real skill is to learn when mild swearing (i.e. nothing outright offensive or derogatory) is and is not appropriate.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I'd add anybody in general that tries to pretend swear words don't exist. Most people learn them in the school playground - let's not try and pretend otherwise.
Agreed. Along those lines could also be news articles and the like that block out certain letters of swear words e.g. f*ck. Thanks for that - I’m really scrambling my brain trying to work out what that word is now!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Along those lines could also be news articles and the like that block out certain letters of swear words e.g. f*ck. Thanks for that - I’m really scrambling my brain trying to work out what that word is now!
What could the word possibly be?! ;)

****.jpeg

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm always amused by the name of the (from what I understand, pleasant and charming) village not far from where I live -- Feckenham, Worcestershire. It sounds so like something that Father Jack might come out with ...

HST274

I'm always amused by the name of the (from what I understand, pleasant and charming) village not far from where I live -- Feckenham, Worcestershire. It sounds so like something that Father Jack might come out with ...
Or the Austrian village of fugging, originally called... (you work it out :D )

al78

Established Member
Does this forum not censor swear words? I know of at least one forum that does, even if the swear word is not directed at anyone in an offensive manner.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does this forum not censor swear words? I know of at least one forum that does, even if the swear word is not directed at anyone in an offensive manner.

Yes it ******* does! ;)
Family friendly forum and all that…

duncanp

Established Member
People who live in Wallyford, East Lothian, or ****t, in the Shetland Isles.

Peter C

Established Member
Having just seen one on YouTube, I'd ban adverts using any of those basic text-to-speech voices for the voiceovers. Whether it's deliberate or not, I don't know (I've not watched enough of them to find out!), but it just says "poor quality" to me whenever it comes up. You can pay for the filming of the thing, so get some proper voiceover work done for it too!

And calm... ;)

-Peter

birchesgreen

Established Member
Having just seen one on YouTube, I'd ban adverts using any of those basic text-to-speech voices for the voiceovers. Whether it's deliberate or not, I don't know (I've not watched enough of them to find out!), but it just says "poor quality" to me whenever it comes up. You can pay for the filming of the thing, so get some proper voiceover work done for it too!

And calm... ;)

-Peter
It gets worse, there are whole "documentaries" done like that on YT.

dakta

Ah yes...speaking of captions. those that use captions that absolutely have to highlight the main words in every sentence out of pure fear that the point of the video might be lost on the audience in my opinion want shooting until confirmed well and truly shot with a suitable shooting device

To break the cycle - you know what doesn't annoy me that I wouldn't want to ban? nothing at all. Those stagnant days where nobody calls and nothing happens at all. Bliss

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Oh and people who refer to me as 'chris' despite every previous email in the ten or so emails already exchanged been signed 'regards, Kris'.
I get (or got) called Chris by three separate people, Peter by two more, plus one Pete, and now Martin by another. My name begins with a 'T'. :)

Peter C

Established Member
Another thing I'd ban would be autocorrect on phones trying to correct a word to be the same as the one before - so if you're writing something like "But that might be for something else", as I've just tried to do, it'll correct it to "But but..." if you spell the second word wrong.

-Peter

py_megapixel

Established Member
Any passage of text which pointlessly puts words in bold when there is no need to emphasise them, or when the emphasis is obvious from the context, deserves to be wiped off the face of the earth.

ABB125

Established Member
Any passage of text which pointlessly puts words in bold when there is no need to emphasise them, or when the emphasis is obvious from the context, deserves to be wiped off the face of the earth.
I really don't understand what your problem is with this; any normal person would consider this to be completely acceptable.

:D:D

For clarity, I agree. The above sentence, if emphasis is needed, should read something like this:
I really don't understand what your problem is with this; any normal person would consider this to be completely acceptable.

bspahh

Established Member
You should be pleased that the emphasis has been placed accurately

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is a bit niche but those new lights that Porsche have gone for with the four bulbs in a square. I really don’t like them for some reason.

680C4647-E41E-46A6-B4BE-D5BD74BE1227.jpeg

ABB125

Established Member
This is a bit niche but those new lights that Porsche have gone for with the four bulbs in a square. I really don’t like them for some reason.

View attachment 103789
That looks somewhat pointless.

Speaking of cars, I'd like to ban the Nissan Puke. At some point last month, I was driving on a motorway (can't remember which, sorry!) and, during a habitual glance in the mirror, saw an odious blot of ugliness approaching. Must be a Nissan Puke, I thought to myself. Sure enough, it was! I think there's a new model out, of which this was one. Just look at it! o_Oo_O
1633804894079.png

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Speaking of cars, I'd like to ban the Nissan Puke. At some point last month, I was driving on a motorway (can't remember which, sorry!) and, during a habitual glance in the mirror, saw an odious blot of ugliness approaching. Must be a Nissan Puke, I thought to myself. Sure enough, it was! I think there's a new model out, of which this was one. Just look at it! o_Oo_O
View attachment 103790

Other than Morse's jag and Bergerac's car (whatever it was) they all look the same to me !

dgl

Established Member

View attachment 103790
Also laughably impractical for what is supposed to be an SUV/MPV, the previous generation had such small doors that getting a child in/out of a car seat must be a pain in the backside, it certinaly was for us normal sized humans. You get more room inside in the Micra (of which my sister has a facelifted K13 ('14 plate)) which shares the same platform.
My step-mum had a bright yellow one, horrendously ugly and for extra crapness was fitted with the horrid CVT gearbox (she has to have an automatic due to leg issues).

Personally with the Renault connection to Nissan becoming more and more obvious I don't get why people buy Nissans anymore, their electrics are certinaly more French than Japanese now!

AndrewE

Established Member
Staying with cars, I would ban grey cars, especially when driven at dusk on a wet (grey) road under a grey sky, maybe in drizzle with no lights. I used to meet them regularly on my mountain-road commute at one time.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
People urinating in water closets when a urinal is available. Some people might need a poo you know !