• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
Been here in California for a week and haven't had to wear a mask or show my vax docs to anyone. The preflight Verifly list was the last time I needed to access any of it, along with the antigen test of course. Once that's finally done away with then great.
I was there in Feb, at that time masks were needed indoors, which had the bizarre effect when doing the Universal Studio tour, did not need the mask on the tram doing the backlots, but when the tram went into one of the 3D 'rides/show' like Fast and Furious / King Kong etc although everyone was still in the same seats, (and there was a total of 10 people on the tram) we all had to put on a mask for 2 minutes, then take them off again, they were also needed for rides like The Mummy, but not Jurrassic World
North East USA, seems a little more mask orientated, and some schools have reintroduced them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the next review date for the CDC to possibly drop the pre-entry covid testing for flights to the USA ?

danm14

Does anyone know the next review date for the CDC to possibly drop the pre-entry covid testing for flights to the USA ?
I wouldn't get your hopes up - ten days ago, the CDC issued a recommendation that everyone should be tested before (and after, if at any point you were in a crowd while not wearing a respirator or well-fitting mask) flying domestically (previously testing before domestic travel was only recommended for the unvaccinated, and testing after travel wasn't recommended at all).

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its guidance for people traveling within the United States.
The agency now urges all domestic travelers to "consider getting tested as close to the time of departure as possible (no more than three days) before your trip," according to its Covid-19 website updates this month.
This advice notably includes travelers who are current with their vaccines and boosters. Previously, the recommendation to test before domestic travel applied to those who weren't up-to-date with their Covid-19 vaccines.
The CDC recommends taking a Covid-19 test after domestic travel "if your trip involved situations with greater risk of exposure such as being in crowded places while not wearing a well-fitting mask or respirator."

They seem to be intent on keeping the charade going as long as possible.

kristiang85

Established Member
I wouldn't get your hopes up - ten days ago, the CDC issued a recommendation that everyone should be tested before (and after, if at any point you were in a crowd while not wearing a respirator or well-fitting mask) flying domestically (previously testing before domestic travel was only recommended for the unvaccinated, and testing after travel wasn't recommended at all).

They seem to be intent on keeping the charade going as long as possible.

It seems so backward, especially as Europe mostly is back to normal in that regard.

I'm flying to Nicaragua this summer and they still insist on pre-entry testing; presumably if the US drops their requirement, then other North American countries still clinging onto it might quickly follow.

But with Biden in charge I can't see anything changing quickly.

island

Veteran Member
Belgium has abolished all remaining COVID travel restrictions. Entry is now permitted without vaccine, test, quarantine, or forms.

If travelling via Eurostar however, a valid vaccine or recovery pass or negative test will still be required as you will be entering France on the way.

Butts

Veteran Member
Belgium has abolished all remaining COVID travel restrictions. Entry is now permitted without vaccine, test, quarantine, or forms.

If travelling via Eurostar however, a valid vaccine or recovery pass or negative test will still be required as you will be entering France on the way.

That's good to know I've got a BA rewards daytrip to Brussels from Edinburgh booked in a couple of weeks.

Have had to book a couple of LF Tests at Heathrow prior to my Florida Trip at the end of the month - just hoping by then my son and myself don't need to avail ourselves of them.

Gladly lose the £60 - come on Biden axe the tests !!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Italy appears to have dropped entry restrictions from June 1 too, but the FFP2 mask mandate remains in force until June 15 at least, including on flights to/from Italy.
I'll be entering on a Trenitalia service from France, so it might get interesting at the border (inside the Fréjus tunnel!).

D6130

Established Member
I'll be entering on a Trenitalia service from France, so it might get interesting at the border (inside the Fréjus tunnel!).
We travelled from Paris to Milano on the Trenitalia Frecciarossa service (in the wonderful Executive class) on May 11th. At that time - and probably still - mask wearing was obligatory on all public transport in France, so we wore lightweight blue surgical masks as far as Modane then switched to FFFP2s. However, we availed of as much of the 'free' food and drink offer as we reasonably could - having breakfast, lunch and mid-morning tea/coffee/snacks on board - so the masks were off legally for a good part of the journey.

Butts

Veteran Member
Am I insane ? (rhetorical question)

I have just purchased fastrack security for a flight departing from Edinburgh Airport at 0605 this Saturday.

Flight is with easyjet - miss BA perks :(

Still it cost £6 and the flight was only £20 odd so worth a punt in the current climate ?

westv

Established Member

I have just purchased fastrack security for a flight departing from Edinburgh Airport at 0605 this Saturday.

Still it cost £6 and the flight was only £20 odd so worth a punt in the current climate ?
We always try to make the faff of flying as easy as possible

Overnight at an airport hotel
Drop off bags the day before
Morning flight out
Fast track

kristiang85

Established Member

Yes, worth it I'd say for peace of mind.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lots more countries have left the restrictions club this week but it seems many websites including our own government are having trouble keeping up.

Turkey has dropped all entry requirements and masking rules except in healthcare settings. Hopefully Turkish Airlines won’t be enforcing it, as they were one of the most militant.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, worth it I'd say for peace of mind.

Even at 4.30am in Edinburgh Airport today there was a sizeable queue building rapidly to pass security, so it had me through in 5 minutes and was a sensible investment on this occasion.

Is the problem accentuated by too many flights departing so close together ?

How I miss my BA Perks when flying Easyjet :( -normally would be in the Lounge by now and would have got FT Security for free.

It was much better flying during the pandemic apart from having to wear masks and the tests.

westv

Established Member
Is the problem accentuated by too many flights departing so close together ?
I've read that part of the problem is people arriving a lot earlier to catch flights due to them reading of excessive queues. Very chicken and egg.

Jamiescott1

Lots more countries have left the restrictions club this week but it seems many websites including our own government are having trouble keeping up.

Turkey has dropped all entry requirements and masking rules except in healthcare settings. Hopefully Turkish Airlines won’t be enforcing it, as they were one of the most militant.

The fco website for latvia still says masks are required on public transport in Latvia.
I knew this had been dropped a few weeks ago but still carried some masks just incase. I didn't need them and I didn't see anyone else wearing them

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just back from Portugal, show a mask to get on plane but not enforced, I did wear mine but that was my personal choices the crew were.

In portugal itself id say only 20% of locals still wore them. Felt back to normal completely kn the Algarve. I didn't use a taxi or public transport though which I believe it is still a legal requirement.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just back from Portugal, show a mask to get on plane but not enforced, I did wear mine but that was my personal choices the crew were.

In portugal itself id say only 20% of locals still wore them. Felt back to normal completely kn the Algarve. I didn't use a taxi or public transport though which I believe it is still a legal requirement.
I was in Portugal just over a week ago. Masks were required flying there but coming back they mentioned masks but they were not enforced. This was with Easyjet. In Porto and Lisbon mask wearing on public transport was about 99% of people.

I've been in Switzerland the last few days and the complete opposite. Other than a handful of people wearing masks it is back to normal now.

island

Veteran Member
How I miss my BA Perks when flying Easyjet :( -normally would be in the Lounge by now and would have got FT Security for free.
Gold access to lounges regardless of whether flying oneworld was killed off over 10years ago I thought

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Who has the strictest covid entry requirements now in Europe?
Spain, possibly? Another country that has now adopted the illogical and insupportable policy of no restrictions for Schengen arrivals, but Covid pass required for all other 'dirty forriners'.

johncrossley

Established Member
It's the only country in the EU which doesn't allow unvaccinated people to enter at all.

But if you are vaccinated (which most people are) then the Netherlands is one of the better countries to go to as it is basically back to normal.

bengley

Established Member
But if you are vaccinated (which most people are) then the Netherlands is one of the better countries to go to as it is basically back to normal.
Maybe so, but restrictions which prevent people from entering are restrictions and quite strict ones, it must be said!

ivorytoast28

I seem to have got lost with all the changing rules.
Does anyone have a list of countries that still won't let UK vaccinated citizens in at all regardless of tests/vaccines etc?
And what about countries that require PCR tests to vaccinated travellers?
And countries with other [easier] restricticons such as just insurance and forms [I know Chile and Argentina are in this group] for vaccinated travellers?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I seem to have got lost with all the changing rules.
Does anyone have a list of countries that still won't let UK vaccinated citizens in at all regardless of tests/vaccines etc?
And what about countries that require PCR tests to vaccinated travellers?
And countries with other [easier] restricticons such as just insurance and forms [I know Chile and Argentina are in this group] for vaccinated travellers?
As always, the Sherpa website is a very useful tool, although anything it says should be double checked with the FCDO website and relevant country's embassy just to be sure.

It shows that 11 countries remain entirely closed to vaccinated British citizens:
American Samoa
Cameroon
Mainland China
Macau SAR
Samoa
Solomon lslands
Suriname
Taiwan
Tonga
Ukraine
Vanuatu

There may be a few more, as they don't hold data for 25 countries.

The following 68 countries require some degree of testing for vaccinated British citizens - though not all require PCR tests:
Algeria
Angola
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Benin
Bermuda
British Virgin lslands
Brunei
Canada
Cayman Islands
Chile
Colombia
Congo
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Djibouti
Dominica
Ecuador
Eritrea
Eswatini
Fiji
Gambia
Guam
Guinea-Bissa
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
lvory Coast
Japan
Liberia
Libya
Madagascar
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Montserrat
Morocco
Myanmar
New Caledonia
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Russia
Rwanda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
South Korea
South Sudan
Tajikistan
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
US Virgin lslands
United States
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Vietnam
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Apart from the 5 countries which require quarantine upon arrival:
Bhutan
Burundi
Central African Republic
Equatorial Guinea
Hong Kong SAR
all other 124 countries permit entry without testing, although the degree of restrictions (forms etc.) varies significantly.

Certainly amongst most European countries, there are now no longer any formalities beyond showing your vaccination certificate.

Butts

Veteran Member
Gold access to lounges regardless of whether flying oneworld was killed off over 10years ago I thought

It was indeed - the reason I would have been in the Lounge was normally I am flying from Edinburgh to somewhere on BA via Heathrow not to Birmingham on Easyjet.

For those who maybe venturing abroad from Birmingham Airport sometime soon the normal security queue was about 25 Mins this morning around 6.30am.

scarby

I am on an island in Greece - I don't think I've seen anyone in a mask yet. Earlier was in Athens, more masks about probably because it is still enforced on public transport - and here we see the sheer illogicality of the rules. People like myself come out of Athens airport, having not needed a mask on their flight, and most probably not on public transport at home. Like me, many then quite reasonably get on the metro at Athens airport without masks (in fact they might not even have one with them), then as it gets closer to the city centre, start to think "It's strange just how many people here are choosing to wear masks."

Status
Not open for further replies.