• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cdd89

Established Member
I was hoping to celebrate February as marking a full year without any restrictions. I guess the best we can hope for is January 2024 now…

I suppose Nigel Farage calling for it helped finalise the decision:

Britain should follow the USA and Italy. We must place travel restrictions on Chinese visitors entering our country immediately.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
...and all this testing sets the stage nicely for the discovery of some new scary-sounding 'variant', which can then be used for another trip around the pointlessly damaging cycle of the last few years.

Cynical, moi? Well, yes, you'd be crazy not to be at this point... Hopefully we won't be naive enough to fall for it this time. I guess we'll see.

greyman42

Established Member
If the Tories cannot keep the U.K. out of restrictions, that is the last argument in favour of voting for them gone.
The argument might be that Labour will bring in heavier restrictions. Starmer has remained silent on this subject, since opposing the lifting of restrictions during the pandemic, so we don't know.

danm14

...and all this testing sets the stage nicely for the discovery of some new scary-sounding 'variant', which can then be used for another trip around the pointlessly damaging cycle of the last few years.

Cynical, moi? Well, yes, you'd be crazy not to be at this point... Hopefully we won't be naive enough to fall for it this time. I guess we'll see.
I have a horrible feeling that by the second week of January we'll have reports of Chinese people travelling through third countries to avoid testing, as part of a push to impose testing before travel from everywhere, not just from China. I wouldn't be surprised if testing after travel rears its ugly head too, so that we can "check for new variants."

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's pointless however we have been led to believe all sorts of nonsense in the past ~3 years, it is deemed to be a popular policy and that is the reason it has been implemented.

Sars-CoV-2 is already endemic in the UK and we are either at a state of endemic equilibrium already, or very close to it, so importing cases from China isn't going to make any difference.

The idea that evolution of the virus can somehow be prevented (or that the latest version of the virus can be kept out of the UK) is absurd but some people genuinely do think that, because they are gullible.

But it's important to keep this into perspective; there are no restrictions except for people travelling from China and there aren't going to be any other restrictions. There is no other place in the world which has had its level of immunity suppressed as much as China so there isn't going to be anywhere else like this to generate any sort of similar response in future.

102 fan

I assume the recording of cases which IIRC was supposed to be finishing on the 6th of January will be postponed now?

Cdd89

Established Member
have a horrible feeling that by the second week of January we'll have reports of Chinese people travelling through third countries to avoid testing, as part of a push to impose testing before travel from everywhere, not just from China.
Independent SAGE bore Christine Pagel has already said that testing China arrivals is pointless… unless we test all arrivals. And to be fair, if we assume arguendo that testing is important (which I don’t, but assume…), she has a point.

Therefore I too can see the media getting itself whipped up into a frenzy about this logical contradiction, and the government will have to either back down or expand testing.

brad465

Established Member
Independent SAGE bore Christine Pagel has already said that testing China arrivals is pointless… unless we test all arrivals.

I too can see the media getting itself whipped up into a frenzy about this logical contradiction, and the government will have to either back down or expand testing.
Who could have predicted Pagel and the Government inverting their thinking one day?

Smidster

I give up.

What, 3 weeks ago we were celebrating the Chinese people doing something against their regime and now it is straight back to common garden xenophobia for the sake of party politics.

As if the country wasn't already completely broken - probably be mask mandates this time next week.

And just like that the real problems in this country, inflation, cost of living, strikes etc are swept under the carpet and removed from the public psyche (the stupid ones anyway). The CCP have once again played a blinder

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Independent SAGE bore Christine Pagel has already said that testing China arrivals is pointless… unless we test all arrivals. And to be fair, if we assume arguendo that testing is important (which I don’t, but assume…), she has a point.

Therefore I too can see the media getting itself whipped up into a frenzy about this logical contradiction, and the government will have to either back down or expand testing.
It is illogical but there is no reason why a logical solution would be implemented; indeed none is needed.

The only reason for a test requirement from China is because it is perceived as being popular; testing all arrivals would not be popular. A policy only has to be deemed to be popular in order to justify its existence; being logical or making any actual difference doesn't come into it!

duncanp

Established Member
But it's important to keep this into perspective; there are no restrictions except for people travelling from China and there aren't going to be any other restrictions. There is no other place in the world which has had its level of immunity suppressed as much as China so there isn't going to be anywhere else like this to generate any sort of similar response in future.

Yes, I do think it is important for people (and governments as well) not to panic at this stage.

The fact is that most of Western Europe and North America has a high level of immunity to COVID, through vaccination and/or prior infection, so the only reason for introducing more drastic travel restrictions would be if a new variant emerges from China, AND that variant is shown to be more resistant to the vaccines used in the Western world.

Once the Chinese "exit wave" subsides, which it will do in a few weeks time, like all other COVID "waves", the panic will start to subside as well.

If Western countries such as the UK aren't routinely testing for COVID or publishing COVID statistics anymore, then any slight increase in cases that MAY happen as a result of increased Chinese tourism will be less noticeable than it might otherwise have been.

Personally I think this will end up being like compulsory face nappies on public transport in England from November 2021 until February 2022. ie. a short term measure introduced as a panicked response to a perceived threat.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
I think they’d be right to think it is popular:

I suspect this poll is biased in favour of not testing too, since he is a travel journalist.

Ultimately people are keen of restrictions which apply to people other than themselves, if sold as reducing the chance of restrictions on themselves. That also explains why the “test all arrivals” response is low (only 15%).

The question is: why are 72.5% in favour of testing of Chinese visitors?

We have Covid here already, it's endemic, so what difference will it make to the Covid rates if some Chinese tourists come? Absolutely none, surely: it doesn't make any sense. I thought the population was more intelligent than that.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And just like that the real problems in this country, inflation, cost of living, strikes etc are swept under the carpet and removed from the public psyche (the stupid ones anyway). The CCP have once again played a blinder

How exactly ?

The Chinese Government will just learn that its not as exceptional as it thinks it is.

nw1

Established Member
Government has caved. Apparently Sunak took the decision himself, and has overridden the scientific advice which said it was not needed. Ffs. This will never end.
Of course Richi Sunak has not, and will never, suffer from the economic fall-out of over-severe and over-prolonged restrictions.

"Eat Out to Help Out" was the one policy of Sunak I had any respect for. This action has cancelled out the last gram of respect I had for him. He's little better than his two predecessors.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I do think it is important for people (and governments as well) not to panic at this stage.

The fact is that most of Western Europe and North America has a high level of immunity to COVID, through vaccination and/or prior infection, so the only reason for introducing more drastic travel restrictions would be if a new variant emerges from China, AND that variant is shown to be more resistant to the vaccines used in the Western world.

Once the Chinese "exit wave" subsides, which it will do in a few weeks time, like all other COVID "waves", the panic will start to subside as well.

If Western countries such as the UK aren't routinely testing for COVID or publishing COVID statistics anymore, then any slight increase in cases that MAY happen as a result of increased Chinese tourism will be less noticeable than it might otherwise have been.

Personally I think this will end up being like compulsory face nappies on public transport in England from November 2021 until February 2022. ie. a short term measure introduced as a panicked response to a perceived threat.

No one will be pannicking, it's giving the Communist party of China a political message.

nw1

Established Member
Xenophobia.

I did think of that, but I doubt 72.5% of us are xenophobes. I suspect ignorance and lack of common sense is the main driver, together with some sinophobia, admittedly.

duncanp

Established Member
No one will be pannicking, it's giving the Communist party of China a political message.

Perhaps you are right, in that there is a political motive to all of this.

The Chinese new year is on 22nd January, so it wouldn't surprise me if the testing requirement stays in place until after then.

nw1

Established Member

I do wonder whether this is a motivation for some Western governments whipping people up into a panic about this. Perfect way to distract people from problems caused by themselves.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Perhaps you are right, in that there is a political motive to all of this.

The Chinese new year is on 22nd January, so it wouldn't surprise me if the testing requirement stays in place until after then.

Indeed. Covid will settle down into another cold in China just like everywhere else.

brad465

Established Member
That won't be a coincidence, Governments always look for excuses for not dealing with genuine problems; Putin's actions in Ukraine have been used plentifully in this way, and with news that gas prices have dropped down to the levels they were at in February, this excuse will be wearing thin before long, so if covid can make a revival they'll be delighted.

Not a fan of this government by any means but if I see another comment on social media "late again" or something like that I'll scream! If they're late what does that make Germany, France etc?

nw1

Established Member
Not a fan of this government by any means but if I see another comment on social media "late again" or something like that I'll scream! If they're late what does that make Germany, France etc?

And people are actually saying that?

Makes them look ignorant or xenophobic, neither of which are particularly good traits.

Maybe a quiet "And what exactly is your problem with Chinese people?" might be an appropriate riposte.

duncanp

Established Member

How can the UK government's decision be "late" if Chinese citizens will only be allowed to travel abroad for tourism purposes after January 8th?

Status
Not open for further replies.