• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
RIP Shane Warne

He rejuvenated the art of Leg Spin

Definitely a class act
Part of the best Australian cricket team ever imo, led by Steve Waugh. I know it's difficult to choose between different eras, particularly when you didn't see the earlier ones, but as a team I believe they outshone even those involving Bradman.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pakenhamtrain

I would have been remiss of me not not have gone past the G and his statue.

It has been announced that the Great Southern Stand will be re named the S.K. Warne Stand.

Warne wasn't just a cricketer

He also played Australian Football. Played under 19s for St Kilda before being delisted in the 1988 VFL season
(2nd row from the bottom far left)

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
We mustn't forget how good a Wicketkeeper Rod Marsh was for Australia

The ultimate partnership with Dennis Lillie, another class act to follow and in my mind, the best Fast Bowler ever to play Test Cricket

Howardh

Established Member
Good to see despite the world being on the brink of something catastrophic, the good old England batsmenters can be relied on to give us a taste of normality.
39 - 3.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Good to see despite the world being on the brink of something catastrophic, the good old England batsmenters can be relied on to give us a taste of normality.
39 - 3.
Day 1 in this Test Match looked even more ominous for England when Stokes was bowled by Seales at 115-5, leaving the West Indies well placed, but Bairstow with 109 not out (17 x 4), Foakes 42 and Woakes 24 not out put England back on an even keel, being 268-6 at close of play.

Howardh

Established Member
Day 1 in this Test Match looked even more ominous for England when Stokes was bowled by Seales at 115-5, leaving the West Indies well placed, but Bairstow with 109 not out (17 x 4), Foakes 42 and Woakes 24 not out put England back on an even keel, being 268-6 at close of play.
It's actually a good score now, which is why proper cricket trumps 16.4 cricket. You get a chance for the middle order to rebuild an innings, bowlers tire, the pitch changes, ball softens etc. Of course you need decent middle-order batsmen, and an opposition that lets them off the hook a bit.

bspahh

Established Member
Ben Stokes is in the mood. He had a steady start, but is 81 at the moment and starting to cut loose

geoffk

Established Member
The second test has draw written all over it unless England can take the remaining WI wickets quickly.

On a different subject, does anyone else find cricketers’ forms of address annoying? It seems to come from a public school culture and may be putting off many promising players from pursuing a career in the sport. I’m listening to the test match on the radio. Instead of Tuffers and Aggers, the commentators are Steve Harmison (Harmy), Darren Gough (Goughy) and Alex Tudor (Tudes). Mark Nicholas, though, is called Mark (I think we can work out why). Should Mark Ramprakash be called Rampy, Ramps or Rampers?

No-one would call Harry Kane “Kaners” or “Kaney” so why is this a feature of cricket? I know there are more important things to worry about but I’d be interested in other opinions!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The second test has draw written all over it unless England can take the remaining WI wickets quickly.

On a different subject, does anyone else find cricketers’ forms of address annoying? It seems to come from a public school culture and may be putting off many promising players from pursuing a career in the sport. I’m listening to the test match on the radio. Instead of Tuffers and Aggers, the commentators are Steve Harmison (Harmy), Darren Gough (Goughy) and Alex Tudor (Tudes). Mark Nicholas, though, is called Mark (I think we can work out why). Should Mark Ramprakash be called Rampy, Ramps or Rampers?

No-one would call Harry Kane “Kaners” or “Kaney” so why is this a feature of cricket? I know there are more important things to worry about but I’d be interested in other opinions!
I agree with you. I blame Brian Johnston (''Johnners'') on Test Match Special, a P.G.Wodehouse creation if ever there was one, aided and abetted for many years by Henry Blofeld (''Blowers''). Both had the supposed 'benefit' of an Eton education, which got Johnston to Oxford University, where he scraped a Third in History, and it was apparently Oxford and the public schools that largely fed into it where the -er ending derived from. Before this laziness, some quite relevant, even witty, nicknames were given to some players by their teammates, not always directly related to their names.

geoffk

Established Member
I agree with you. I blame Brian Johnston (''Johnners'') on Test Match Special, a P.G.Wodehouse creation if ever there was one, aided and abetted for many years by Henry Blofeld (''Blowers''). Both had the supposed 'benefit' of an Eton education, which got Johnston to Oxford University, where he scraped a Third in History, and it was apparently Oxford and the public schools that largely fed into it where the -er ending derived from. Before this laziness, some quite relevant, even witty, nicknames were given to some players by their teammates, not always directly related to their names.
Yes it was almost certainly "Johnners" and "Blowers" who started it some years ago and it spread to other commentators, but that doesn't explain why players have the same habit. And it's not just a male habit as Isa Guha was also using these nicknames.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

I agree with you! Absolute laziness, especially when I recall David Lloyd, in a rain break some years ago during the Sky commentary going through a series of original and quite funny nicknames of cricketers that he played with in the 1960's and 1970's. trouble is, I can't remember any! (I'll have to remind myself of some of the names and hope it will jog my memory)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I agree with you! Absolute laziness, especially when I recall David Lloyd, in a rain break some years ago during the Sky commentary going through a series of original and quite funny nicknames of cricketers that he played with in the 1960's and 1970's. trouble is, I can't remember any! (I'll have to remind myself of some of the names and hope it will jog my memory)
Wasim Akram the Sultan of Swing, Terry Alderman the Smiling Assassin, Trevor Bailey was 'Barnacle Bailey' for his batting (guess Kyle Brathwaite should inherit that mantle.) Like you, I can't remember a lot of them now, but Lancashire and Kent teams seemed to have more and better examples than some other counties. Shoaib Akhtar was the Rawalpindi Express too - personally, I can't imagine a more frightening bowler to face, but Sylvester Clarke with a grudge would be up there too, possibly why West Indies were reluctant to play him.

Just thought of another - Michael Holding was Whispering Death, and Harold Bird was, of course, rather unimaginatively called 'Dickie.'

P.S. Found a cricket mag article by 'Bumble' in which he said Wasim Akram's nickname at Old Trafford was 'King', one I've not heard before. Robin Jackman's nickname was 'the Colonel', possibly because of his decidedly right-wing views.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Wasim Akram the Sultan of Swing, Terry Alderman the Smiling Assassin, Trevor Bailey was 'Barnacle Bailey' for his batting (guess Kyle Brathwaite should inherit that mantle.) Like you, I can't remember a lot of them now, but Lancashire and Kent teams seemed to have more and better examples than some other counties. Shoaib Akhtar was the Rawalpindi Express too - personally, I can't imagine a more frightening bowler to face, but Sylvester Clarke with a grudge would be up there too, possibly why West Indies were reluctant to play him.

Just thought of another - Michael Holding was Whispering Death, and Harold Bird was, of course, rather unimaginatively called 'Dickie.'

P.S. Found a cricket mag article by 'Bumble' in which he said Wasim Akram's nickname at Old Trafford was 'King', one I've not heard before. Robin Jackman's nickname was 'the Colonel', possibly because of his decidedly right-wing views.
I read somewhere that when he was at Kent Sam Northeast was nicknamed 'NorthBy', Matthew Fleming was 'Jazzer' - and, of course, R.C. Russell (Glos) was 'Jack'.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I read somewhere that when he was at Kent Sam Northeast was nicknamed 'NorthBy', Matthew Fleming was 'Jazzer' - and, of course, R.C. Russell (Glos) was 'Jack'.
Another Russell called 'Jack' played as an opening bat for England in 1903(?), and apparently it wasn't his given name either! Speaking of Kent players, Derek Underwood was 'Deadly'. Other nicknames were Robin Smith ('Judge'), Shahid Afridi 'Boom Boom' and Lance Klusener 'Zulu.' One I particularly liked was 'Dizzy' for Jason Gillespie, which shows thought! I note Wagner and Elgar, amongst present test players, don't seem to attract anything musical. Is Dean Elgar an 'Enigma' I wonder? :)

Trackman

Established Member
David Lloyd - Bumble! I like that one.
Showing your age there, well so am I!
---
Interesting incident in the test today when it was heading for draw.
A sub (most likely) or member of support staff -England I think- walked on to the field and picked up the ball before it hit the boundary- it was a clear four.
He then ran on to the pitch after the over for whatever reason and the umpire gave him a right talking too, none of the commentators picked up on this.
So what it the cricket law with some outsider of the opposition interfering with play before the ball is dead? I think it would be like a ball hitting a helmet on the ground (NB and 5 runs penalty is it?).

Western Lord

Like Geoff Arnold being "horse". His initials were G.G.

scarby

Yes, Ramprakash was commonly known as Ramps in his playing days, or Bloodaxe, due to his short fuse.

I can't really see why it should put anyone off participating. If anything it reflects a much more egalitarian culture in the sport. It is not that long ago that players were expected to address and refer to their captain as "Mister" and those coming up from the 2nd XI were treated practically as servants by the senior players (sometimes uncapped players even had to change in a separate, worse room), so things have changed much for the better.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Woakes just been dismissed.....now 114-9.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Still, one consolation being that England surpassed their lowest ever batting score in a Test Match v West Indies....46 all out on 25th March 1994 at Port of Spain.
Tail-ender Mahmood has currently scored twice as many runs as the combined efforts of Root, Stokes and Bairstow.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Woakes just been dismissed.....now 114-9.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Still, one consolation being that England surpassed their lowest ever batting score in a Test Match v West Indies....46 all out on 25th March 1994 at Port of Spain.
Tail-ender Mahmood has currently scored twice as many runs as the combined efforts of Root, Stokes and Bairstow.
Ambrose skittling England for 46 occurred in their second innings, though, and with all due respect to the current W.I. fast bowlers even Roach, none of them could aspire to the performance Curtly put in. He was a man on a mission! England were in the driving seat for the first three and a half days too. Gooch was missing with a broken wrist and Ramprakash ran himself out. (!) Like Lees, Alec Stewart was the only batsman to show some fight.