• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Now that Ben Stokes is confirmed as next England captain, expect Anderson and Broad to both return this summer.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 1 of Hampshire's match against Lancashire has been something of a batting disaster for Hampshire, as after the first 15 overs, they were 40-5, with all of the dismissed batsmen only making single figure totals.

However, Nick Gubbins showed a great deal of application in leading the recovery, making 101 not out with 17 x 4, and guided Hampshire to an all out total of 246 in 77 overs aided and abetted by 42 from Felix Orlan and 55 from number 9 batsman James Fuller.

Eight wickets taken by two Lancashire seam bowlers:-
Hassan.........15 - 5 - 45 - 5
Anderson......14 - 6 - 24 - 3

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Now that Ben Stokes is confirmed as next England captain, expect Anderson and Broad to both return this summer.
Did you have any money on it?
Speaking after appointing Stokes as captain, Key told BBC sports editor Dan Roan: "One of the first things Ben Stokes said was 'Jimmy and Broady are coming back' and I agree.

"It might've been a different story had we not agreed. But it wasn't up for debate."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61258933
Priority - start to win test matches.

Meole

Stokes needs to get away with a win otherwise his "foreigner" origin will become an issue in the Mail hence bringing back the old reliable seamers.
Presumably another transplanted colonial will be yet another experimental opener given he plays for Kent.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Presumably another transplanted colonial will be yet another experimental opener given he plays for Kent.
No, I think you're wrong about that, assuming you're talking about Ben Compton. Kent should restore Bell-Drummond to open, with Crawley moved to three, or even four. Would we had kept Dickson, tbh.

Typhoon

Established Member
No, I think you're wrong about that, assuming you're talking about Ben Compton. Kent should restore Bell-Drummond to open, with Crawley moved to three, or even four. Would we had kept Dickson, tbh.
Bell-Drummond has had a few average seasons in red ball cricket in the last few years, he might be returning to his best form now - I'm not sure he's England material though. I agree about Crawley - he is not the man to blunt the attack if conditions favour the bowlers. I think I heard that Dickson wanted to move on because he was sidelined in the white-ball game. The trouble Kent has had for years is that they have had too many batsmen* (and bowlers, for that matter) that are much of a muchness.
Regarding Compton, if we are selecting players on the strength of a couple of matches, we are in trouble.
He’s like a breath of fresh air. He’s not going to give you any kind of management speech or ECB speech, he’s just going to call it as he sees it.
Quote is by Nasser Hussain https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...sion?msclkid=77c9dbddc7a111ec98fa704b5611eec5
That is how I remember him at Kent. He'll get things wrong but he'll do them because he thinks it is right.

* - yes, batsmen, They were all men. The women were different as they had some outstanding women in their batting line up - Edwards, Greenway, Beaumont. Marsh.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 saw Hampshire bowl Lancashire out for 240, as in the Hampshire innings, a recovery from 105-7 helped by a couple of 50s from the late order batsmen.
Keith Barker ... 20.4 - 5 - 67 - 5

In Hampshire's 2nd innings, Nick Gubbins held a steady watch on was 40 not out at close of play, with Hampshire on 103-3, a lead of 109.

HST43257

Established Member
Looking towards June, the Netherlands ODIs and New Zealand Tests will (I’m guessing) have fully different squads, so what do people reckon squads will look like?

I’m guessing the Tests will take priority for the big players with the ODIs being an opportunity for upcoming players - I’m watching Harry Brook on the Yorkshire livestream at the moment and I would take him in either squad.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the Roses Match at Headingley saw Yorkshire make an early bowling breakthrough and Jennings and Croft came together with the scoreboard showing 12-2, but these two put on a stand of 237 to steady the Lancashire innings. Croft was dismissed for 104 (1 x 6 and 16 x 4), but at close of play Lancashire had moved on to 288-3, with Jennings 150 not out (22 x 4).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the Roses Match at Headingley saw Yorkshire make an early bowling breakthrough and Jennings and Croft came together with the scoreboard showing 12-2, but these two put on a stand of 237 to steady the Lancashire innings. Croft was dismissed for 104 (1 x 6 and 16 x 4), but at close of play Lancashire had moved on to 288-3, with Jennings 150 not out (22 x 4).
Second Lancashire player to have scored centuries in three successive innings in Roses matches. Fellow left-handed opener Geoff Pullar was the first.

DelW

Established Member
In all four of the current first division matches, the side batting first has made over 500 runs - three of them nearly 600. Bizarrely, three of the four had lost the toss and been put in by their opponents choosing to bowl.

By tea on day two, Somerset and Northants had declared (591-7 and 597-6 respectively) while Surrey and Lancashire batted on.

Howardh

Established Member
It's currently that young prospect Anderson bowling to England's ex-captain Root.

HST43257

Established Member
One thought I had today about English domestic cricket, is there a need for so many T20 Blast games if you have The Hundred? Could make way for the 50 Over comp to have at least some importance.

Perhaps the second round of Blast games could be played by players not in the Hundred, like is now the case with the 50 Over comp.

Financially, is the Blast much better than other domestic stuff?

SteveM70

Established Member
One thought I had today about English domestic cricket, is there a need for so many T20 Blast games if you have The Hundred? Could make way for the 50 Over comp to have at least some importance.

Perhaps the second round of Blast games could be played by players not in the Hundred, like is now the case with the 50 Over comp.

Financially, is the Blast much better than other domestic stuff?

The problem isn’t the T20 Blast, it’s the Hundred. It’s a totally unnecessary competition

Howardh

Established Member
The problem isn’t the T20 Blast, it’s the Hundred. It’s a totally unnecessary competition
They got rid of 3-day cricket, Sunday league and the two cups to "modernise" the game. two divisions, 4 days, 20/20. Now they are at it again, seems to suggest they got the "modernisation" wrong. Maybe cricket should have been left well alone, save for more of it in FTA TV rather than tucked away on pay-channels which are usually bought by football fans?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Very sad, great player and huge personality.
Irony in that his name had just been in the news for having his county championship record of sixteen sixes in an innings surpassed by Ben Stokes. He could have played for England had his progress here not been queried at every turn by some in authority. I'm afraid to say Graham Gooch (fine player, but questionable social attitudes even then) was particularly vocal.

Among the tributes, Jonty Rhodes, who knows a thing or two about fielding, said he was the finest all-round fielder he'd ever come across.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Irony in that his name had just been in the news for having his county championship record of sixteen sixes in an innings surpassed by Ben Stokes. He could have played for England had his progress here not been queried at every turn by some in authority. I'm afraid to say Graham Gooch (fine player, but questionable social attitudes even then) was particularly vocal.

Among the tributes, Jonty Rhodes, who knows a thing or two about fielding, said he was the finest all-round fielder he'd ever come across.

Yes fellow Brummie (not that he lived here long before going to Australia!)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
This thread goes into its second decade, and the subject of the very first posting, Andrew Strauss, is still an important part of the England set-up!

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might occur over the summer either for the England cricket team(s) or counties/franchises?

scarby

This thread goes into its second decade, and the subject of the very first posting, Andrew Strauss, is still an important part of the England set-up!

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might occur over the summer either for the England cricket team(s) or counties/franchises?

Surrey looking strong so far in Division 1. I will be very surprised if Notts don't win Division 2.

In the Blast and 50 over cup, who knows? Personally I'd be pleased if an underdog like Northants or Derbyshire has a good run in either.

No idea about England but I would except them to be competitive on home turf.

No idea about The Hundred.

kevconnor

The 50-over competition is an interesting one as it is as much a question now as to who is least affected by the hundred rather than who is on-paper the strongest team. In a reverse way, it may make it more competitive for smaller counties. Although the downside of that from an international point of view is the gap between county and country grows wider.