• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
So both squads have now been announced for England’s Tests and ODIs this month

New Zealand Test Squad:
Ben Stokes
James Anderson
Jonny Bairstow
Stuart Broad
Harry Brook
Zak Crawley
Ben Foakes
Jack Leach
Alex Lees
Craig Overton
Matthew Potts
Ollie Pope
Joe Root

So we basically know that Foakes will be WK and Brook will try and beat Bairstow to the no.5 spot (I’d rather see Bairstow keep at 7 and Brook be in at 5) and we know that Pope will be at 3, Root at 4 and Stokes at 6. Good to see Potts in, I hope he gets in over Overton.

Netherlands ODI Squad:
Eoin Morgan
Moeen Ali
Jos Buttler
Brydon Carse
Sam Curran
Liam Livingstone
Dawid Malan
David Payne
Adil Rashid
Jason Roy
Phil Salt
Reece Topley
David Willey
Luke Wood

Very left arm heavy for the pace bowlers, Sam Curran has performed well with the bat for Surrey in the past couple of months I feel - will he be a fully fit bowler by the time the matches are played? I’m hoping for an 11 like Roy, Salt, Livingstone, Morgan, Malan, Buttler, Curran, Moeen, Willey, Carse, Rashid.

HST43257

Established Member
Will Matt Parkinson from Lancashire ever break into the ranks?
In fairness, Leach has also had a decent start to the season. Parkinson is absolutely the next in line, and Bess will have the job of providing competition.

New post - 2nd June at 1315

What a morning session for England. Losing the toss and bowling, but Anderson has 2, Broad has 1 and Potts has 3! At lunch it’s 39-6, but it’s not all good. Leach hurt himself trying to save a run or two, but the news is that it’s concussion so a replacement is allowed. Said replacement is Matt Parkinson - not sure how long he has to wait to enter the game.

Last edited:

Pakenhamtrain

In fairness, Leach has also had a decent start to the season. Parkinson is absolutely the next in line, and Bess will have the job of providing competition.

New post - 2nd June at 1315

What a morning session for England. Losing the toss and bowling, but Anderson has 2, Broad has 1 and Potts has 3! At lunch it’s 39-6, but it’s not all good. Leach hurt himself trying to save a run or two, but the news is that it’s concussion so a replacement is allowed. Said replacement is Matt Parkinson - not sure how long he has to wait to enter the game.
Im surprised what Leach did gave him a concussion. It looked more like a neck injury.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Im surprised what Leach did gave him a concussion. It looked more like a neck injury.
I was just having a discussion with a neighbour prior to Leach's injury on how fielders, especially those doubling as bowlers, took ridiculous risks these days to try to prevent boundaries, even in test cricket. This was a case in point: with the morning having gone England's way so decisively, a three becoming a four is inconsequential. What's happened to risk assessment? Look at all those bowlers out with medium or long term injuries, and then you have Ollie Robinson!

Typhoon

Established Member
Is Parkinson at Lords yet? He might be needed.

Edit - yes, arrived at 17:38.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Seventeen wickets fall on Day 1 of the Test Match. England in reply to the New Zealand 1st innings total of 132 all out, looked good at 92-2 but to close at the end of play on 116-7 was showing the usual lack of application.

One bright note was the bowling of Potts with figures of 9.2 - 4 - 13 - 4.

Lost property

Well that's typical of Jimmy, promoted up the order and duly plays for his averages :E..and to save anybody asking, as I'm new here, I'm a life long L.C.C.C supporter and an open admirer of Jimmy whose achievements place him firmly in the top order of cricket legends

SteveHFC

As I write this the 22nd wicket of the match has just fallen. I fear I may not be going to Lords tomorrow!

Typhoon

Established Member
Well that's typical of Jimmy, promoted up the order and duly plays for his averages :E..and to save anybody asking, as I'm new here, I'm a life long L.C.C.C supporter and an open admirer of Jimmy whose achievements place him firmly in the top order of cricket legends
You don't need to be a Lancs supporter to appreciate Anderson. I'm not saying he should be an ever-present but he still has something to give and the stupidity of leaving him and Broad out in the winter beggars believe. We have a habit of losing, we need to get out of it and playing the untested is not the answer. Hopefully Potts will learn from bowling alongside Anderson and Broad about test match bowling, well over 600 test match wickets says something.
A few others might want to look at his batting, we needed runs, didn't matter how long, frustrate them - don't go knocking the ball into next week!

As I write this the 22nd wicket of the match has just fallen. I fear I may not be going to Lords tomorrow!
I was going to say, that New Zealand bat long but it looks like they might need to, Twenty-three wickets fallen and not even one fifty.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They used to say the same about Geoffrey Boycott, in regard to averages at least, but what England would do to now have someone with his determination, grit and sufficient batting technique too. Alex Lees hasn't exactly failed, but he hasn't succeeded either. Time I believe to give Crawley's Kent colleague Ben Compton a chance: he made runs in both innings against the Kiwis at Chelmsford last week, in addition to those he's made elsewhere. A Lords debut would have been fitting, given his ancestry. Speaking of Lancashire cricketers, how pleased I am to see Matt Parkinson get his chance, albeit in sad circumstances. I always thought England had gone with the wrong legspinner when they preferred Marcus Crane, more on the basis that he was thought to be a better batsman than Parkinson according to some reports! On that basis, Brian Statham would never have teamed up with Fred Trueman to produce a marvellous fast bowling partnership, certainly the best until Anderson and Broad.

DelW

Established Member
Replying just over 24 hours later, I think you'll have had good value already, even at Lord's prices! What a morning :lol:

philjo

Established Member
Replying just over 24 hours later, I think you'll have had good value already, even at Lord's prices! What a morning :lol:
I was at Lords yesterday. The morning session and just after lunch were good. Play seemed to slow down as the partnership developed. But as the first visit since 2019 it was good to be watching it live again.

At least as it was bank holiday I was using a super off peak travelcard with network card discount so not as expensive as travelling to Lords on a Friday would normally be.

Howardh

Established Member
Not much point in introducing four day test cricket. Well, not when our lot are playing.

Will they keep Parky for the next test, or if Leach is unfit find a spinner who can bat (Ali?)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not much point in introducing four day test cricket. Well, not when our lot are playing.

Will they keep Parky for the next test, or if Leach is unfit find a spinner who can bat (Ali?)
According to a Times reporter Mooen Ali has been approached by Brendon McCullum with a view to considering test cricket again and has said he would consider it if asked.