• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
Giles and Collingwood were both teammates with too many of the current players, that would not bode well for their chances of being able to make the tough decisions needed as a rebuilding coach.

I'm not too aware of how many good home-bred candidates there would be, but if a foreign coach is an option there's always Mickey Arthur - he's available and has the one positive (for England) attribute of hating Australian cricket. Tom Moody would be excellent, but there's no chance he'd work for England with our campaign to take back the World Cup in the works and an Ashes series after that.

A single head coach for the England team in both formats would be good - as Darren Lehmann is for Australia. You keep them as a mentor, generally smart cricket brain and coach of the players as whole people, then surround them with a bunch of good assistant coaches to deal with the technical aspects of batting, pace bowling, spin bowling, fielding, strength/conditioning and fitness.

Speaking of England, why were the ladies wearing hi-vis Dutch national colours in the final against Australia last night? Were they warmup tops they used because the laundry lost the match shirts?
I quite like watching women's T20 matches if the boundaries are left out at the full size, it presents a far more interesting contest than the men's slogfests and places a premium on bowling to the field set. The final last night featured only four sixes (Jonassen 1, Lanning 2, Perry 1) while England's vaunted batting of Edwards and Taylor failed to hit even one for the whole tournament - I'm guessing this due to the England women generally playing domestic cricket and home internationals at smaller secondary venues while the Australians are used to playing on big grounds used for AFL in the winter.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Will this be the end of Trott?

If he's suffering "anxiety" playing for his county then the 4 months of "treatment" seems to have failed.

He has lately walked out of a tv interview and has now banned all media contact completely which never helps as it will only cause stories he won't answer.

His England days are definitely over, he is unlikely to get a new central contract this September, only he knows whether he can hack county cricket again.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's a bad situation.

We don't know what went on in the England Dressing Room whilst in Australia.

Has Flower or a team member taunted Trott over his lack of runs & he crumbled?

Was Flower as pleasant as we thought, is he the real reason that Graeme Swann retired?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whistler40145

Established Member
So, Peter Moores is going to replace Andy Flower with Paul Farbrace as his Deputy.

Obviously Ashley Giles was only keeping the seat warm.

What's the consensus of the Forum?

ExRes

Established Member
I'm really really undecided about the appointment, when Peter Moores was coach at Sussex and brought us our first championship the man could walk on water as far as we were concerned, he's a tremendous man and engendered a superb team philosophy in the players and supporters alike, visiting supporters couldn't believe that the coaching staff, Chris Adams our captain and players like Mushtaq Ahmed would walk round the ground stopping off to sit down and chat with us, that's what Moores brought and it's carried on to this day under Mark Robinson

Can you do that at England level though ?, of course you can't and I believe that was one of the main reasons that he failed in his first stint with England, that and Mr Ego Pietersen of course. He appeared to be happy when he was with Lancashire and still chatted with us when he visited as the oppo coach, whether he can move past that and become a successful national coach I'm not 100% sure but I am sure he has the technical knowhow and ability to succeed if someone else does the smile to the cameras bit for him

I hope he does well, then the selectors can keep their hands of Mark Robinson

Whistler40145

Established Member
Who will replace Peter Moores at Lancashire?

Do they give the job to Gary Yates or appoint Glenn Chapple as Coach/Captain?

andrew bell

I'm really really undecided about the appointment, when Peter Moores was coach at Sussex and brought us our first championship the man could walk on water as far as we were concerned, he's a tremendous man and engendered a superb team philosophy in the players and supporters alike, visiting supporters couldn't believe that the coaching staff, Chris Adams our captain and players like Mushtaq Ahmed would walk round the ground stopping off to sit down and chat with us, that's what Moores brought and it's carried on to this day under Mark Robinson

Can you do that at England level though ?, of course you can't and I believe that was one of the main reasons that he failed in his first stint with England, that and Mr Ego Pietersen of course. He appeared to be happy when he was with Lancashire and still chatted with us when he visited as the oppo coach, whether he can move past that and become a successful national coach I'm not 100% sure but I am sure he has the technical knowhow and ability to succeed if someone else does the smile to the cameras bit for him

I hope he does well, then the selectors can keep their hands of Mark Robinson

I thought his original appointment in 2007 was too early, but he has gone away, learnt his trade again in county cricket, and I feel he deserves another chance to manage the national team, but it has been a good move to include Paul Fabrace as he has experience in International cricket as well, now for Colly to join after the summer

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
After only two matches back in the top division of the County Championship, Lancashire now find themselves bottom with a draw and a loss. A cursory view of the statistics shows that while they have six bowling bonus points, comparable with other teams, the fact that only one batting bonus point has been gained is a most worrying situation and the fact that the first two sessions of the third day was lost to rain would appear to have been the only reason why both matches were not lost.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How do you think Glen Chapple will be as Coach & Captain of Lancashire?

Whilst the appointment of Ryan Giggs at Manchester United is only a short-term appointment, it does seem quite amazing that two 40 year old player-coaches were appointed to a higher level at major sports stadiums very close to each other in the same week.

Cletus

Established Member
Wirrall cricket club make 3 all out (2 were extras and the run scored by the number 11). Scorecard shown in the article.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/27177518

Wirral Cricket Club recorded a score of three all out in a Cheshire League Division Three game in which the number 11 made their only run off the bat.

Set 109 to win by Haslington, Wirral lost their first eight wickets for no runs within six overs.

The first 10 batsmen fell for ducks but two leg byes got them off the mark and Connor Hobson was unbeaten on one when they were all out in the 10th over.

In 1913, Somerset club Langport were all out for 0 against Glastonbury.

The lowest score in a first-class match is six, made by "The B's" against England at the old Lord's ground in 1810. And the lowest total in a Test match is 26, posted by New Zealand against England in 1955.

Unsurprisingly, Haslington needed only two bowlers. Ben Istead captured six wickets in his five overs for the concession of the solitary run in the innings, while new ball partner Tom Gledhill returned an economical 4-0 from 4.2 overs.

Discussing Wirral's collapse, Matt Garrett, who came in at number nine with the score at 0-7, told BBC Radio 5 live: "It all happened in a bit of a blur really.

"I think I headed into the changing rooms to get my pads on when we were three down and got out to the middle just in time to take my guard when the seventh wicket fell.

"The reaction in the back of your mind is, 'I think we can still do this' but, two balls later when you're following all your team-mates back to the clubhouse, you think perhaps it's not your day."

Wirral CC tweeted: "1st XI lost by 105 runs today... Sadly the opposition only scored 108!"

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What demons now inhabit the square at Northampton these days ? .....Twenty five wickets fall at the end of play on the second day.

Lancashire (1st inns)...119 all out (44 overs)....33-6 at one stage
Northants. (1st inns)...164 all out (70 overs)....35-5 at one stage
Lancashire (2nd inns)..244-5 (73 overs)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
********************************************************************************************

As a continuation of the above, Lancashire recorded their first County Championship win of the season, by defeating Northants at Wantage Road by 60 runs with Jimmy Anderson recording match bowling figures of 10-81.

Northants slumped from 157-5 to 179 all out in their second innings.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Something seems to be wrong with the Wantage Road wicket, I presume they will be receiving a visit from the ECB Pitch Inspectors.

Good that Lancashire won, but how different would it have been if Jimmy Anderson hadn't been available for selection?

tony_mac

Established Member
Something seems to be wrong with the Wantage Road wicket, I presume they will be receiving a visit from the ECB Pitch Inspectors.

Glenn Chapple described it as 'a very spicy pitch'
He also described the first innings score of 119 as 'an achievement' - due in no small part to Jimmy Anderson's batting - top scorer with 28.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It has just been announced that Graham Gooch has left his role as England Batting Coach.

Will he be replaced or the role absorbed into the roles of Peter Moores & Paul Farbrace?

Buttsy

Established Member
Good to see Moeen Ali carrying on in the squad, although this will dent Worcester's hopes against Glamorgan in the next Championship game a bit, even with Alex hales being signed on loan.

DownSouth

Established Member
That certain Mr Cook has made a brief comment on the subject about a new start.
Oh, I thought you were suggesting that Cook's form was the cause of Gooch getting the sword.

Also partly related to the issue of coaching, two major pieces of Darren Lehmann's leading of Australia out of the Mickey Arthur failures were completed this week. The first was that Australia is now the World Champion team in both forms of the game with the ICC officially confirming the update to the Test world rankings at the end of the 2013-14 international season. The second was that John Inverarity and Andrew Bichel were replaced on the national selection panel by Trevor Hohns and Mark Waugh, the other members are Darren Lehmann (head coach) and Rod Marsh (chairman of selection).