• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Rich McLean

Established Member
They called my game today, oppo made the decision, poor pitch due to recent back weather. We are challenging the decision

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
No DownSouth, that's not what I meant, I think it was inevitable that Graham Gooch had to go. IMHO Peter Moores, Paul Farbrace & Alistair Cook want to start with a clean sheet & choose a new Coaching team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whistler40145

Established Member
If Matt Prior's injuries prevent him from playing for both Sussex & England this Summer, should the ECB appoint a permanent replacement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DownSouth

Established Member
If Matt Prior's injuries prevent him from playing for both Sussex & England this Summer, should the ECB appoint a permanent replacement?
No. Just play whoever is the best keeper available, and give Prior a fair go to demonstrate he's still England's best keeper when he's recovered. Sure, he did have a crap series in the Ashes (mostly caused by his poor batting - batting form and keeping form go together as also shown in the same series by Brad Haddin smashing it) but he's only 32 and still got plenty of time to bounce back from that as Haddin did after a couple of poor seasons where Matthew Wade replaced him.

Wicketkeepers get better with age. Brad Haddin is going strong at 36 years and planning on another couple of rounds of slaying the English in 2015 and 2016-17, Adam Gilchrist retired while on top of the charts in both Tests and ODIs (still unbeaten for ODIs in both total dismissals and dismissals/match) at 36, Kumar Sangakkara is 37 and looks set to keep playing Tests into his 40s, Mark Boucher was still in top form when he had his career ended by that horrific eye injury at 35, and Alec Stewart (England's last top-flight wicketkeeper) retired at 40.

Matt Prior isn't as good as any of those top keepers from the last 10-15 years, but he's also still only 32 and still a fair way ahead of most of the other contenders when it comes to Tests, if not in all formats.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I do hope that Matt Prior will bounce back to full health as I don't feel both Joss Buttler & Jonny Bairstow are ready for Test Cricket. Mind you, it's down to the Selectors, two are former Wicketkeepers, so they know what they want.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A cursory glance at both the batting and bowling bonus points obtained this season gives an insight into how Lancashire are finding life back in the top division so difficult this season, as whilst their bowling bonus points are good as any other team, the fact that scoring 250 seems a step too far for them is borne out by the fact that Lancashire are finding batting bonus points to be as rare as hens teeth..:roll:

ExRes

Established Member
I would say something about Sussex grinding a second rate Lancashire side into the ground today, but I'm not that stupid any more and as you get older it's more difficult to dodge the egg as it flies towards your face .........

:lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I would say something about Sussex grinding a second rate Lancashire side into the ground today, but I'm not that stupid any more and as you get older it's more difficult to dodge the egg as it flies towards your face .........

:lol:

Noting the current batting frailty of Lancashire and the weather forecast for the afternoon sessions, did Sussex really need to bat on for as long as they did before declaring, thus ensuring that very little time was available to Lancashire in their second innings to do anything but bat the very few remaining overs out in order to ensure that the match was drawn.

If Sussex, having established the first innings lead that they had done, noting the inability of Lancashire to score 200 (that is being kind), Sussex should have launched their bowling attack on Lancashire whilst there was a real opportunity to make quick inroads into their top batting order and a chance of a win, with the extra points gained for such a result.

Buttsy

Established Member
Well done to Glamorgan for denying Worcestershire a deserved victory by a wonderous display of defensive batting by Will (Billy) Bragg. Worcester being in control of the game from around tea of the first day were not able to clean up the Glamorgan lower order in teh 2nd innings.

Bit miffed to be honest as a Worcester fan and having money on them to win 2nd Div this year, but cannot deny Glamorgan the hard work they put in to get the draw.

7Pinza

New era for the England team underway at last... in Aberdeen

England put into bat, 14-0 from 2 overs - limited to 23 overs due to rain

7Pinza

England 81-0 from 11.1 overs - playing through a very heavy shower!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bell gone for 50
83-1

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lancashire's return back to the top level of the County Championship has had yet another reminder in the current match against Middlesex that the squad is not really strong enough to compete at this level and having Anderson unavailable for team selection because of other involvements makes matters worse, so all it now needs is for David Moyes to be given the job there of making media statements with inane platitudes as to the reasons why results are going so badly, as he did all the time when he was manager of Manchester United..<(<(

Lancashire...266 all out and 223 all out

Middlesex....459-8 declared and 31-0

Middlesex won by 10 wickets
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
********************************************************************************************

Miracles do happen occasionally...:D

Natwest T20 Blast

Lancashire 194-3 (20 overs)
Smith 74............2x6/5x4
Horton 71 n.o.....2x6/9x4

Worcestershire 182-5 (20 overs)

A Lancashire WIN...even if only by 12 runs

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
What do people think of this "WASP" stat that has appeared.

Personally I think it's the most pointless thing I've seen in years.

Johnuk123

Established Member

Darandio

Established Member
What do people think of this "WASP" stat that has appeared.

Personally I think it's the most pointless thing I've seen in years.

It basically tells you what you already know. You can see how the team are playing, how many runs they have and how many balls are left, you can pretty much figure it for yourself.

As you said, pointless.

Buttsy

Established Member
Another win for Worcestershire today. A low scoring game against Essex where Worcs, who almost threw it away yesterday, won thanks to a 7 wicket haul from Sajeed Ajmal (13-97 in the match). Worried that they struggle when Ajmal has finished his stint with the club and Moeen is away with England.

Daryl Mitchell is the man at the moment for Worcs, over 600 runs already in the Championship.

DownSouth

Established Member
Is this something that only applies to the Sky Sport channels and is nothing whatsoever to do with the governing bodies of the game ?
Sounds like Sky's coverage is no different to the Nine Network here, it isn't a new cricket season without at least two new gimmicks making their debut at the first Test in Brisbane. Sky's revs per minute counter on the slow bowlers last year was particularly bad, thankfully Nine noticed it was an object of derision and didn't include it for their home series - though Sky might still have had it for the feed going back to England.

Nine used to have a predicted score graphic shown every few overs in the first innings of an ODI which was reasonably good as their computer model combined stats on the teams with stats from the match situation, but it got killed off once T20 started to influence ODI batting with the slog overs at the end.

The summer just finished in Australia was a good one in the TV gimmick department, we had cool new camera angles (swooping around on wires for Nine's international matches, hovering on drones or mounted on umpires' hats and keepers' helmets for Ten's domestic T20 games) and the 3D reconstructions of on-field action combining multiple camera angles which were actually quite good. The price for those good ones was the presence of tweets on the screen and the stupid six catching competition at domestic T20 matches - a local celebrity was sitting on a platform in the crowd (always in a spot where no big hits would make it, e.g. behind the world's longest long on boundary at Adelaide Oval) with a competition winner getting a cash prize if they caught a six.

higthomas

It basically tells you what you already know. You can see how the team are playing, how many runs they have and how many balls are left, you can pretty much figure it for yourself.

As you said, pointless.

Might be helpful for those who don't know much about cricket, or if you've just turned the TV on?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Might be helpful for those who don't know much about cricket, or if you've just turned the TV on?

Matches can change if there is a sudden flurry of wickets falling or a good stand checks a bad batting position. However, these new-fangled ideas cannot cope with inspired spells of either batting or bowling.

Being the age that I am, in 1979 (when I was only 34) I attended the Lancashire match at Old Trafford against Warwickshire when after a somewhat shaky middle batting order performance, Lancashire's fortunes were changed by what is still a Lancashire record stand for the eighth wicket of 158 runs by both Graham Lloyd and Ian Austin (him of the burly stature) which changed the course of the match. I still have the card scorecard from that match in my archives.

I was only sorry that I was not at the second division County Championship match last year when an example of inspired Lancashire pace bowling saw Essex all out for 20, which is the lowest recorded County Championship score against Lancashire

DownSouth

Established Member
Matches can change if there is a sudden flurry of wickets falling or a good stand checks a bad batting position. However, these new-fangled ideas cannot cope with inspired spells of either batting or bowling.
Yes they can, by purely stating only who is ahead at the current time. Once a spell of outstanding batting or bowling has passed, the prediction will obviously be different - in that respect it's no different to the colour commentator saying "Team XYZ is doing well at the moment."

The beauty of sport is that you don't know for sure who is going to win at any time. If Australia and England had both consented to the media consensus of an England 3-1 victory in the Ashes, they could have avoided all the inconvenience of actually playing the series. The problem with that theory is that it would also have avoided the thrilling performance by Australia to take a whitewash and the humiliation of the world finding out the cocky English team was writing cheques they couldn't cash, a result made all the more outstanding because it was as far as possible from the predicted result of a 1-3 loss.

If the WASP model holds up reasonably well during 'normal' matches (i.e. those without a brilliant match-changing effort) then there's no reason not to use it. If anything, in the 'not-normal' matches it should actually help to highlight the significance of the brilliant match-changing efforts and help the media to make better choices for the Man of the Match award than just whoever got the highest score with the bat.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The beauty of sport is that you don't know for sure who is going to win at any time. If Australia and England had both consented to the media consensus of an England 3-1 victory in the Ashes, they could have avoided all the inconvenience of actually playing the series. The problem with that theory is that it would also have avoided the thrilling performance by Australia to take a whitewash and the humiliation of the world finding out the cocky English team was writing cheques they couldn't cash, a result made all the more outstanding because it was as far as possible from the predicted result of a 1-3 loss.

Thanks for continuing to remind us what happened during our last winter. I'm sure that I speak for all England supporters when I say that the debacle has not been forgotten and that it remains firmly lodged in our collective memory, and will continue to do so until England manage another Ashes victory. (Not sure when that will be, though!)

higthomas

WASP also highlights some interesting things that occur in T20, such as a county match I was watching last weekend, when with about 15 balls left A county didn't look like they were going to make it, which was backed up by WASP which gave them a 35% chance, yet after one six it shot up to 55%.
I found it interesting, because it was a much larger difference than I would have thought, and also highlighted just how artificially close T20 is.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah I saw that game, I also seem to recall it then went up to 75% the next ball or two. I've been thinking that perhaps that figure should be averaged on the last six balls to try and smooth out the prediction element rather than having it shoot up/down like it does currently.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Do the international and local cricket players still wear those off white cricket sweaters these days,? they used to look quite smart, but they seem to have been replaced by alternatives in recent years. I guess newer fabrics are easier to look after.

Mind you I had an unfortunate incident some years ago with a large cup of black coffee and another large bloke's cricket sweaters and I would have been glad then of cheaper fabrics being used!:oops: