• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

ExRes

Established Member
Have to say that this 'rest' policy is absolutely ridiculous, well that's one word that won't get me banned from the forum anyway, but as the ECB pay their wages there's not much the counties can do about it, who wants players batting or bowling their way to form when they can be sitting at home or playing five a side scrabble in Dubai

Best wishes to Lancashire and Middlesex supporters over the next few days, I'm greatly relieved as, a few weeks ago, it looked as though Sussex might be involved in the end of season survival battle

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
Middlesex 214 all out, Lancashire may rue not finishing Middlesex off before 200

Bonus points so far, Lancs 3 Middx 1

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder how the overnight rain and the current warm morning sunshine will affect the movement of the ball in the pre-lunch session on the second day at Old Trafford.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To answer my own query, Lancashire passed the Middlesex total with only six wickets down and the 300 target should now be passed.

Two full days to play, weather permitting.

tony_mac

Established Member
7 runs needed from the 109th over - can't afford to lose a wicket either!
I hope they checked with the umpires before declaring - with just 4 balls of the 110 overs left, it seems like quite a risk to take.
An Extraordinary Declaration for the the purposes of this rule is usually a declaration aimed primarily at denying the bowling side the opportunity to acquire further bonus points in that innings but without enhancing the batting side's prospects of winning or saving the match.
Such a declaration may be deemed as bringing the game into disrepute, penalties for which may include deduction of points.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
7 runs needed from the 109th over - can't afford to lose a wicket either!
I hope they checked with the umpires before declaring - with just 4 balls of the 110 overs left, it seems like quite a risk to take.

Middlesex were 88 runs behind on the first innings and have reached 114-1 in the mid afternoon session, with Robson 71 not out.

Buttsy

Established Member
After being top for most of the season, Worcestershire lose out on the Div 2 title to Hants on the penultimate day of the season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Lancashire needed seven runs from that 110th over to achieve an innings score of 300. The first ball was hit for six and the second ball was hit for three, hence they declared as soon as the 300 target was reached, with no need to bat out the last four balls.

Has my logic proved faulty here ?
Middlesex were 88 runs behind on the first innings and have reached 114-1 in the mid afternoon session, with Robson 71 not out.

They have now moved on to 202-4 (a lead of 114). Robson was out for 75.

tony_mac

Established Member
Has my logic proved faulty here ?
No, but I was concerned that the declaration might fall foul of the 'Extraordinary Declaration' rule - as the sole purpose of declaring was to prevent Middlesex gaining another bowling point.

However, as nobody has mentioned it, I guess that rule was meant for rather more obvious situations (like declaring on 0!).

Oswyntail

Established Member
No, but I was concerned that the declaration might fall foul of the 'Extraordinary Declaration' rule - as the sole purpose of declaring was to prevent Middlesex gaining another bowling point.....
Let's wait to see what the result is - and it is finely balanced - but I bet if Middlesex lose someone might be having a word with the umpires:roll: (though I think it is a defensible declaration in normal circumstances)

tony_mac

Established Member
apparently the ECB said it's fine- they had someone at the match specifically to deal with it.
But there is still an awful lot to do to win the match.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
apparently the ECB said it's fine- they had someone at the match specifically to deal with it.
But there is still an awful lot to do to win the match.

I am indeed to see that for once, the ECB and I do so concur, noting the earlier posting that I made with my rules understanding logic so applied thereto.
At 1300, Middlesex are now 228-6 and have lost Morgan for 45 and Dexter for 17 to the bowling of Junaid Khan, who now has three of the wickets to fall.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lancashire down and Middlesex hang on. Fascinating few days cricket and a shame that this isn't a five day game as another day tomorrow would be a tantalising prospect...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lancashire down and Middlesex hang on. Fascinating few days cricket and a shame that this isn't a five day game as another day tomorrow would be a tantalising prospect...

Middlesex were 277-8 at one time but an unbroken stand of 64 between Harris (41 not out) and Murtagh (29 not out) saw them through to the close with the total at 341-8 from 134 overs.

Interesting to note that Lancashire lost their coach to the England squad at the start of the season and his experience would have proved invaluable to Lancashire having made the move up to the top tier from the lower tier of County Cricket.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'm sorry to say this, but IMHO, Lancashire were a 2nd Division team playing in the 1st Division, it's a sad day for Lancashire, this could now lead to the retirement of Captain, Glen Chapple & I wouldn't be surprised to see some departures from the club.

Howardh

Established Member
I'm sorry to say this, but IMHO, Lancashire were a 2nd Division team playing in the 1st Division, it's a sad day for Lancashire, this could now lead to the retirement of Captain, Glen Chapple & I wouldn't be surprised to see some departures from the club.

The cricket team seems to have become second best to the club's desire to fill the ground with corporate hospitality. Just wonder why they don's stop playing cricket there altogether and simply build suites, car-parking etc to host rich fans who want to watch Manu but can't get a box at the ground.

As a long suffering supporter and former member, I get the feeling we simply aren't wanted there.

When OT was redeveloped, I wonder if they - for the cricket's sake - wouldn't have been better selling the whole ground to Tesco and moving to, and improving, Stanley Park as a first-class but not Test venue.

Be surprised if OT gets a test in the next few years after the swamp fiasco in any case.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Cricket has changed much in recent years. In my very much younger days in the 1950's, a Test Match was the pinnacle that certain clubs were honoured with hosting. Then as the years went by, limited over cricket made its mark and in recent times the T20 game has been seen as a way of bringing people through the turnstiles.

Lancashire seem to have had a good 2014 season with the very short version of the game but at the expense of the team's performance in four-day County Championship matches. The last four seasons have seen Lancashire:-
County Championship Division One champions
Relegated the following season to Division Two
County Championship Division Two champions
Relegated the following season to Division Two

DownSouth

Established Member
Maybe if the Lancashire board was spilled and some new members elected with a background in promotions, they might make their tickets affordable enough to get the crowds in.

I went on their website and found that the cheapest adult ticket (presumably near ground level and behind the midwicket/third man boundary) for one of their two ODIs next year is £36 - enough to get one Silver reserved seat at Adelaide Oval for the day/night T20I double-header in a few weeks featuring both the women's and men's national teams, or two of the same seats for a certain World Cup group stage match in March which looks like being a thrilling contest between two evenly-matched teams.

Is this a consistent trend, or is it only because the two ODIs at Old Trafford next year are against Australia which means many hundreds of seats are already sold to the tour companies, allowing reduced capacity for the public?

Reduce the ticket prices and you'll get the crowds in. Get the crowds in and they'll spend money on food and drinks which is even more profitable than ticket sales. Once they're in, if the show is good enough they'll come back again in the future.

Last edited:

higthomas

which looks like being a thrilling contest between two evenly-matched teams.

:lol:

I don't know quite what it is that county boards want. It seems to be money, but for what purpose. There is some correlation between international grounds and success, but it is not clear-cut. Surrey, who I support and I think are the richest county, aren't that great. Yorkshire on the other hand, as anyone who heard the interview with their CEO during the Headingly test, aren't doing that well financially.
I think that if a team comes from a county with a strong cricketing heratige and is well run it can do well, with or without an international stadium, e.g. Somerset and Sussex

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's looking uncertain whether Glenn Chapple will remain as a player for the 2015 season.

What's your view & will Paul Horton become Club Captain if Chapple retires?

ExRes

Established Member
Does anyone know if even he has debased himself enough to read it yet?

The childish little brat would probably need someone to read it to him, at least I saved some time this morning by not having to read a large chunk of the Telegraph sports section, should I bother buying it anymore if they pay money to a scumbag like Pietersen

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's been announced that Mike Watkinson is to leave his post at Lancashire, what's your opinion and who will replace him and the Coaches post previously held by Peter Moores?

ExRes

Established Member
It's been announced that Mike Watkinson is to leave his post at Lancashire, what's your opinion and who will replace him and the Coaches post previously held by Peter Moores?

It must be Ashley Giles, surely, he comes from a big county with a Test ground and has international experience at playing and now coaching level

Who else is there ?, Chris Adams is supposedly in with a shout but look at the cock he made of Surrey, even with an open chequebook

Giles for Lancashire and Adams for Leicestershire are my bets, I'd do it but I'm off to Devon so it's too much of a commute for me :D

Whistler40145

Established Member
Oh no, why inflict Giles on Lancashire?

He really didn't have much clout or success with England, so can he be any better for the Red Rose county?

I think both posts will merge.