• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
England now 198/5 after 40 overs, Brook going extremely well with a just-below-run-a-ball 76 and Bairstow now in.

Slight concerns for Moeen Ali who has hurt his groin. Severity fully known AFAIK.

HST43257

Established Member
England all out for 283. The worrying thing is that the innings only lasted for 54.4 overs.
Collapse of 7-99 to finish I believe.

England now 50/1, Woakes just got Warner (consequently, Broad will not get the record vs Warner of dismissals to a single batsman. He has 17 and McGrath/Atherton was 19 I think)

SteveM70

Established Member
Collapse of 7-99 to finish I believe.

England now 50/1, Woakes just got Warner (consequently, Broad will not get the record vs Warner of dismissals to a single batsman. He has 17 and McGrath/Atherton was 19 I think)

Broad is currently equal with Ambrose / Atherton and Walsh / Atherton on 17, so 51 of Atherton’s 205 test dismissals have been at the hands of only three bowlers

75A

Established Member
I sat opposite Glenn McGrath on the train into Euston yesterday. What a nice man. He is also MASSIVLEY tall.

Still the top wicket taker in the series..................................

and you cant see from the last game why they are picking him?
As a batter maybe but not as a wicky.

See normal service was restored from Mr Bairstow, he score 4 from 14 balls before Josh Hazlewood bowled him.
Let's see how many he drops tomorow?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joe Root saying we should play till 10pm
I do think it's barmy that game after game we just accept that overs will be lost because teams refuse to bowl the overs at the necessary pace. Personally I'd just adopt the same approach as is taken in the Championship. In the final session you bowl until all the days overs are bowled or until the light is too bad to continue. If that means that the session goes on until 8 or 9 in the evening (perfectly possible in England during the summer) then tough! You should have bowled them earlier in the day when they were supposed to be bowled! I've thought that for a while now, it's not just a response to issues at Old Trafford to be clear :lol:

SteveM70

Established Member
I do think it's barmy that game after game we just accept that overs will be lost because teams refuse to bowl the overs at the necessary pace. Personally I'd just adopt the same approach as is taken in the Championship. In the final session you bowl until all the days overs are bowled or until the light is too bad to continue. If that means that the session goes on until 8 or 9 in the evening (perfectly possible in England during the summer) then tough! You should have bowled them earlier in the day when they were supposed to be bowled! I've thought that for a while now, it's not just a response to issues at Old Trafford to be clear :lol:

Yes, but all that does is prolong the day, create an uncertain finish time, and with that potentially problems for paying fans

Surely far better to fix the problem?

Fines make no difference to millionaire players, so forget that

For me - obviously with allowances for legitimate delays with the third umpire as arbiter - for every over unbowled at the end of a session 5 penalty runs given to the batting side and the availability of the new ball to the bowling team delayed by 5 overs. Gives them an incentive to get on with it

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, but all that does is prolong the day, create an uncertain finish time, and with that potentially problems for paying fans

Surely far better to fix the problem?

Fines make no difference to millionaire players, so forget that

For me - obviously with allowances for legitimate delays with the third umpire as arbiter - for every over unbowled at the end of a session 5 penalty runs given to the batting side and the availability of the new ball to the bowling team delayed by 5 overs. Gives them an incentive to get on with it
Fine by me! I'm just fed up of the abysmal over rates that have prevailed so if punishment makes them get on with it lets go for that! <D

MP33

Essex wrapped up another win today. They have an easier run in than Surrey, so a win and a Surrey loss could change things. After pulling up injured, Shane Snater who could barely walk was sent in at No 11. He lasted two balls. In the previous game, Kent had two injured players batting in the 2nd innings, whose only contribution was to stave off an innings defeat or one by 10 wickets in the extra half hour.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As a batter maybe but not as a wicky.
But picking Bairstow as keeper allows the side structure Stokes wants: 4 seamers, spinner, Stokes as reserve bowler.
See normal service was restored from Mr Bairstow, he score 4 from 14 balls before Josh Hazlewood bowled him.
Let's see how many he drops tomorow?
I have always said they should have picked that Foakes lad..................

Pakenhamtrain

So what's the score in the cricket
I'm at the footy

SteveM70

Established Member
But picking Bairstow as keeper allows the side structure Stokes wants: 4 seamers, spinner, Stokes as reserve bowler.

Or to look at it another way it’s necessary to cover for Stokes being unable to play in his own proper position (ie batsman rather than all rounder)

And apropos Bairstow:

- scores in the first hour of play byes 12; khawaja 11; marnus 7. Byes are traditionally seen as being a sign of poor wicketkeeping

- great catch by Root but really that was Bairstow’s catch and he just stood there like a lemon

Purple Train

Established Member
And apropos Bairstow:

- scores in the first hour of play byes 12; khawaja 11; marnus 7. Byes are traditionally seen as being a sign of poor wicketkeeping

- great catch by Root but really that was Bairstow’s catch and he just stood there like a lemon
Completely agree regarding the byes, but comparing them to the Aussie rate of scoring is slightly disingenuous considering that the Aussies have been scoring at a rate that's beyond glacial.

HST43257

Established Member
Was bringing Moeen Ali out of retirement a complete waste of time?
I absolutely would’ve gone for Liam Dawson. In excellent form with bat and ball, international experience and old enough that there isn’t a career to ruin.

Moeen hasn’t been completely terrible but ordinarily those bowling figures wouldn’t keep you in any side, and the limited batting returns aren’t enough to swing the feeling the other way.
Lancashire appear to have taken the new England batting scenario to heart in their first innings against Northants, declaring at 544-7 from only 106 overs.
A big job on their hands but playing the game excellently in the circumstances. 8-129 required in the day as it stands, or concede more and chase a few in the last half hour.

SteveM70

Established Member
Not every single time as one particular fast delivery when England were batting swung so much when it went past the batsman that it gave Carey no chance whatsoever, even though he went full length in the correct direction and went for four byes.

Yes, not all byes are down to the keeper but in general terms its an indication of the keeper's effectiveness (or not)

Meanwhile, Bairstow has also fluffed a run out by breaking the stumps before the ball arrived.

How much longer can he stay in the team?

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yes, not all byes are down to the keeper but in general terms its an indication of the keeper's effectiveness (or not)

Meanwhile, Bairstow has also fluffed a run out by breaking the stumps before the ball arrived.

How much longer can he stay in the team?
Bairstow did take a wonderful catch to dismiss Steve Smith

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bring Foakes back or look to the future and pick Bracey or Smith?
Bracey has been tried and found incredibly wanting - in Gloucs latest match he let through loads of byes, and he hasn't been prolific with the bat in the last three seasons. Surrey, meanwhile, choose the superlative Foakes as their keeper when available, ahead of Smith. No wonder they dominate county cricket these days. and I say that through gritted teeth. Foakes is going through what James Foster did - the best keeper, kept out by an inferior one who happens to be a better batter.

HST43257

Established Member
Looking to future Test Matches, with Leach be fit for selection?
Very much on track for India in January I believe
Bring Foakes back or look to the future and pick Bracey or Smith?
Or James Rew?

Might be a little early though.
In the short term, bring Foakes back. He must be keeper in India given how good he is. Then after the 2027 Ashes (or before it Foakes loses form sufficiently by then), bring in either (or both) Jamie Smith and James Rew. They will be 26 and 23 by the 2027 Ashes with plenty of experience